• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm fairly good about not tossing my phone numbers around and getting junk txt messages, usually. :xmad: When I registered with the health department to get the 'rona vaccine, didn't think anything about signing up my number for updates. Over the last few months, I've received numerous updates on age requirements, vaccination sights, etc, no problem.

I got this message this txt message morning...

Message by ‪(831) 287-4509‬: You have a secure message in your Indiana Department of Workforce Development account portal https://b3v.me/DWD, Friday, June 25 2021, 5:42 AM

You have a secure message in your Indiana Department of Workforce Development account portal https://b3v.me/DWD
    ‪(831) 287-4509‬ • 5:42 AM

Might have fallen for it, had I not seen the news reported about the scam recently.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    As a general rule of thumb, no government agency will ever ask you for anything over the phone. They're all 20 years behind the times in terms of mailing everything. This is especially true with unemployment. I know of at least 3 businesses that have been hit with fraudulent unemployment scams. 2 of the 3 owners actually received notice that they had personally filed for benefits. Unemployment has massive fraud problems, thanks to the fed's increase in benefits.
    I deal with this a lot as a CPA; I've only had one particularly naïve client that bought a bunch of gift cards to pay the "IRS" that called him one evening.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a general rule of thumb, no government agency will ever ask you for anything over the phone. They're all 20 years behind the times in terms of mailing everything. This is especially true with unemployment. I know of at least 3 businesses that have been hit with fraudulent unemployment scams. 2 of the 3 owners actually received notice that they had personally filed for benefits. Unemployment has massive fraud problems, thanks to the fed's increase in benefits.
    I deal with this a lot as a CPA; I've only had one particularly naïve client that bought a bunch of gift cards to pay the "IRS" that called him one evening.
    :facepalm:

So, so many involve gift cards. You'd think someone might stop and ask, "what is the IRS going to do with gift cards?"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm fairly good about not tossing my phone numbers around and getting junk txt messages, usually. :xmad: When I registered with the health department to get the 'rona vaccine, didn't think anything about signing up my number for updates. Over the last few months, I've received numerous updates on age requirements, vaccination sights, etc, no problem.

I got this message this txt message morning...

Message by ‪(831) 287-4509‬: You have a secure message in your Indiana Department of Workforce Development account portal https://b3v.me/DWD, Friday, June 25 2021, 5:42 AM

You have a secure message in your Indiana Department of Workforce Development account portal https://b3v.me/DWD
    ‪(831) 287-4509‬ • 5:42 AM

Might have fallen for it, had I not seen the news reported about the scam recently.

Do you suspect that they sold your number to a list?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Had the same issue with two owners at my business who had claims filed on their behalf.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    :facepalm:

So, so many involve gift cards. You'd think someone might stop and ask, "what is the IRS going to do with gift cards?"
    Man ain't that the truth. I bought Macy's gift cards for Christmas. The Macy's employee asked me why and needed the full story before she would sell them to me. Then my credit card company blocked the transaction and I had to call to get it to go through.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I got a text message last month informing me that my Indiana unemployment claim was awaiting further information. The main problem there was that I never filed for unemployment. There was a link in the message for you to provide the needed information. I thought someone had filed a false claim using my identity but did some quick research and learned that it was just a text scam that has been going around for a while.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My wife and I both get them as well. It's just scammers blasting to every possible Indiana number, same as the foreigners who call about a problem with your Amazon account, your car's extended warranty, etc. Nobody is giving them your number, a computer is just dialing every combination, seeing which ones are real, then repeatedly blasting away at them.

You can actually buy Excel spreadsheets online of known good numbers to plug in to your dialer.

The sneakiest one I'm aware of was one that pretended to be from Mariott hotels as an advertisement, and it said "press 1 to be removed from this call list." It wasn't Mariott and by pressing 1 you were telling the computer it was a good number and you'd answer. That got you on the list.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s best just not to answer at all. Of reply to text messages. As tempting as it is to reply back telling them “**** you”, you’re only confirming that it’s a number that belings to a real person, and then your number gets put on a list of good numbers that gets sold to telemarketers.

Do not call lists aren’t really all all that effective anymore. With voip these callers can be anywhere in the world.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    It’s best just not to answer at all. Of reply to text messages. As tempting as it is to reply back telling them “**** you”, you’re only confirming that it’s a number that belings to a real person, and then your number gets put on a list of good numbers that gets sold to telemarketers.

Do not call lists aren’t really all all that effective anymore. With voip these callers can be anywhere in the world.
    I get one of those “I want to buy your house” texts about every two weeks. Don’t answer, but they never give up.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I got a text message last month informing me that my Indiana unemployment claim was awaiting further information. The main problem there was that I never filed for unemployment. There was a link in the message for you to provide the needed information. I thought someone had filed a false claim using my identity but did some quick research and learned that it was just a text scam that has been going around for a while.
    I also have had several of those texts.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I used to wish for a similar feature when everyone still had landlines. Something we could push to send a high voltage shock to the caller. :):
    I`ve always thought I`d get one of those can air horns and as they start their scam script just blast that through the mouthpiece. :D

Top Bottom