• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sorry, man, but you're wasting your time with me with talking religion. Something I have absolutely no use for in any way, shape or form. I've read most of the major religious texts and quite frankly not something I want to be part of. Some good basic guides for living a decent life, yes, but that is very small part. A lot is just folks trying to explain things they didn't understand or justify their behavior (old testament and koran, I'm looking at you). So let's drop that before we get the thread locked.

And no, they didn't ban Trump because his views differed from theirs. Just a bit more to it than that. Try again.

The first thing that needs to happen is removing the special protections. After that its all up to debate on what is allowed and not. But where do you draw the line? Not everybody has the same standards of what is unbecoming public conduct. Unfortunately I don't see any site maintaining an even playing field for any length of time as long as the rules are enforced by humans. Sooner or later it is going to start to have a slant one way or another, just like any other. People will leave or be pushed out and before you know it, it will be like any one of a jillion other sites.
    Wait. You think Trump was banned from all platforms at nearly the same time. Because he was unbecoming to the public?

:rofl:

:laugh:

:lmfao:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't think social media should have the ability to ban anyone from their platforms. They've already shown that they can't be even handed. They ban Trump but keep up accounts for Terrorists? That right there shows you the way they do things is BS. I don't think we need protected from "hate speech" I think everyone should be allowed to post what they want.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't think social media should have the ability to ban anyone from their platforms. They've already shown that they can't be even handed. They ban Trump but keep up accounts for Terrorists? That right there shows you the way they do things is BS. I don't think we need protected from "hate speech" I think everyone should be allowed to post what they want.
    I think they should be able to enforce behavior standards. But if they do, they have to enforce it evenly. The ***** who posted a photo of Trump’s severed head is still on there when others have done much less and were banned for it.

And Just recently, Alison Morrow was suspended from youtube for reporting on NBC & CNN breaking YT rules that she got a strike about. They said she was spreading disinformation. They reinstated her after a public outcry.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If they couldn't remove or ban anyone, we would have the possibility of discrimination. Once you're allowed to ban any post, idea or person, you run into the same issues we currently have.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Quote: Sorry, man, but you're wasting your time with me with talking religion. Something I have absolutely no use for in any way, shape or form. I've read most of the major religious texts and quite frankly not something I want to be part of. Some good basic guides for living a decent life, yes, but that is very small part. A lot is just folks trying to explain things they didn't understand or justify their behavior (old testament and koran, I'm looking at you). So let's drop that before we get the thread locked.
    Un-quote:

I understand, I use to feel the same but when all my doctor's gave up on my cancer and said I only had a few weeks to live I accepted it.
    But God said to me (yes, He did) "your giving up to easy", and I said what? And God repeated "Your giving up to easy" and I said how so? And God said trust in me.

So I told my Pastor and he said he would pray to God ask what God wanted to do about it. Then my Pastor called me and said Dan be at the church Sunday morning at 10:30 and God will be there with healing in his wings.

So I showed up at 10:30 and the Elders of the church layed hands on me and my Pastor anointed me with olive oil and they prayed over me and I stood up completely healed of Non-hodgekins lymphoma, God kept his promise.

I just today had my right knee completely replaced but my doctor's wouldn't replace the knee of a dying patient so they ran all of their test and cat, pet, scans and X-rays and couldn't find any trace of the cancer so they replaced my knee.

Now, as a saved and sanctified, born again child of God I have the privilege to go before Gods Throne in prayer and ask for anything I need and God will honor my request if I believe I have received it.
    The proof is in the pudding as they used to say.
    I had lost 50 lbs. due to the cancer, my lymph nodes were swollen and sore and I was having sevier night sweats, all outward signs of cancer.
    Well the next week I had gained 5 lbs. The lymph nodes were no longer swollen and sore and the night sweats had ceased.
    It has now been almost a year and I'm doing just great. Praise God.

People just cannot comprehend God and many find it impossible to believe He is real, but he is and I have the proof.

Last edited:

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    Quote: Sorry, man, but you're wasting your time with me with talking religion. Something I have absolutely no use for in any way, shape or form. I've read most of the major religious texts and quite frankly not something I want to be part of. Some good basic guides for living a decent life, yes, but that is very small part. A lot is just folks trying to explain things they didn't understand or justify their behavior (old testament and koran, I'm looking at you). So let's drop that before we get the thread locked.
    Un-quote:

I understand, I use to feel the same but when all my doctor's gave up on my cancer and said I only had a few weeks to live I accepted it.
    But God said to me (yes, He did) "your giving up to easy", and I said what? And God repeated "Your giving up to easy" and I said how so? And God said trust in me.

So I told my Pastor and he said he would pray to God ask what God wanted to do about it. Then my Pastor called me and said Dan be at the church Sunday morning at 10:30 and God will be there with healing in his wings.

So I showed up at 10:30 and the Elders of the church layed hands on me and my Pastor anointed me with olive oil and they prayed over me and I stood up completely healed of Non-hodgekins lymphoma, God kept his promise.

I just today had my right knee completely replaced but my doctor's wouldn't replace the knee of a dying patient so they ran all of their test and cat, pet, scans and X-rays and couldn't find any trace of the cancer so they replaced my knee.

Now, as a saved and sanctified, born again child of God I have the privilege to go before Gods Throne in prayer and ask for anything I need and God will honor my request if I believe I have received it.
    The proof is in the pudding as they used to say.
    I had lost 50 lbs. due to the cancer, my lymph nodes were swollen and sore and I was having sevier night sweats, all outward signs of cancer.
    Well the next week I had gained 5 lbs. The lymph nodes were no longer swollen and sore and the night sweats had ceased.
    It has now been almost a year and I'm doing just great. Praise God.

People just cannot comprehend God and many find it impossible to believe He is real, but he is and I have the proof.
    Remission is awesome!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    e line? Not everybody has the same standards of what is unbecoming public conduct. Unfortunately I don't see any site maintaining an even playing field for any length of time as long as the rules are enforced by humans. Sooner or later it is going to start to have a slant one way or another, just like any other. People will leave or be pushed out and before you know it, it will be like any one of a jillion other sites.

There are not a jillion other sites, that was how it was supposed to be but not how it turned out. The "go build your own" is just not that simple. First one would need to build "your own" without infringing on any patents the big boys own. Then comes the topic of critical mass, without it there can be no success. Then there are the barriers that the big guys have erected to eliminate competition, and speaking of competition, where did it go? The big guys bought it and their patents.

What we have are businesses that were allowed to engage in anticompetitive/anti-trust behavior while being given special protections from government. There are not a jillion options...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are not a jillion other sites, that was how it was supposed to be but not how it turned out. The "go build your own" is just not that simple. First one would need to build "your own" without infringing on any patents the big boys own. Then comes the topic of critical mass, without it there can be no success. Then there are the barriers that the big guys have erected to eliminate competition, and speaking of competition, where did it go? The big guys bought it and their patents.

What we have are businesses that were allowed to engage in anticompetitive/anti-trust behavior while being given special protections from government. There are not a jillion options...
    The current tech giants look like they're helping each other stave off competition. This is a broken market. Free market puritans like to think that the market can fix itself. But it can't fix this. There are some other social media sites popping up that don't censor content. But content creators on those sites don't have nearly the reach they can have on the mainstream ones. Gab, for example has pretty much turned into a white nationalist hangout. So that's a bust. Locals is turning out not to be too bad though.

But they all suffer from the same kind of thing. The majority of people who move to those platforms are pretty much the outcasts whose ideas were canceled. It's just people talking to people who already think like they do. Bad ideas die in the sunlight, but if it's just the opposition moving to platforms where only the opposition visit, the bad ideas promoted by TPTB on the mainstream platforms are never exposed to the counter-arguments.

The free market can fix a lot on its own, but it can't fix a crony market. And that's what Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The current tech giants look like they're helping each other stave off competition. This is a broken market. Free market puritans like to think that the market can fix itself. But it can't fix this. There are some other social media sites popping up that don't censor content. But content creators on those sites don't have nearly the reach they can have on the mainstream ones. Gab, for example has pretty much turned into a white nationalist hangout. So that's a bust. Locals is turning out not to be too bad though.

But they all suffer from the same kind of thing. The majority of people who move to those platforms are pretty much the outcasts whose ideas were canceled. It's just people talking to people who already think like they do. Bad ideas die in the sunlight, but if it's just the opposition moving to platforms where only the opposition visit, the bad ideas promoted by TPTB on the mainstream platforms are never exposed to the counter-arguments.

The free market can fix a lot on its own, but it can't fix a crony market. And that's what Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are.

Great post! Are you market purists understanding this?

And everytime we turn the heat up on one of them the others come running with heat shields.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

Right, that's why I said the first step is to eliminate the special protections. Then social media software will be a commodity just like forum software.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Top Bottom