• Status
    Not open for further replies.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I think Trump is an ass, but we need a ass in that office. Especially after all the **** the Dems have pulled.
    He needs to go in and clean house, not someone who's going to go in and get walked on

Trump was a doormat as president…he signed whatever McConnell put on his desk, and had no input over McConnells actual agenda.

The feds in the crowd on Jan6 were exercising Trump’s executive authority…whether he ordered their actions or not.

Trump never had control of the federal apparatus in his first term, and the bureaucracy has had four years to prepare for him upon his return…it is not like DC is friendly territory for him.

What ability does Trump have to “clean up” anything if he cannot even control his own administration?

Trump came to DC to transfer taxpayer dollars to his own interests…and he did so to great effect...his golf outings (at his own clubs) alone cost us more than 100 million dollars.

We need someone who will reduce federal spending...but no one i offering us that option...especially Trump.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Nah. I think Congress just wouldn't give it to him when he wanted it. Seems like he then dropped it once the furor over the shooting subsided.
    Don't you know he had to say those things to quell the furor. He had to give them what they wanted to hear even though it was supposedly not genuine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Don't you know he had to say those things to quell the furor. He had to give them what they wanted to hear even though it was supposedly not genuine.
    Yep, big nothing burger. Like I said, he only is telling the truth when it is something Mike likes. If it something he doesn't, it is good lies and 4d chess.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This article in Politico from 2018 pretty much sums up the dichotomy on both sides of this discussion here.

A lot of Republicans criticized Trump for what he said but others tried to excuse it away.

"Trump threw decades of party orthodoxy on gun rights out the window on Wednesday, as he mused aloud about enacting a comprehensive gun control package and said due process should come after guns are taken away from dangerous people."

"The response on Thursday among congressional Republicans was a mix of disbelief, denial and outrage."

“Most of the ideas ... will not improve safety of our schools and protect our kids,” said Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), a staunch gun rights advocate.

“When it comes down to it, his administration will have a problem,” Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.) said of Trump’s call to increase the age for some firearm purchases or to seize weapons in some cases without a court order."

"But Trump is still president. So they were more prone to rationalize or explain away his apparent openness to an assault weapons ban and more background checks — among other items on gun control advocates’ policy menu — than to go after him directly"

Maybe Trump didn’t mean what he said, some of them mused, or perhaps had been misunderstood. Others held out that he would come to his senses and quickly end his flirtation with Democrats.

“That was yesterday. This is today,” said Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri, a state that overwhelmingly supported Trump.

“I don’t know how much thought he put into what he actually was saying, in terms of the details of it,” offered Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.)

"Some Republicans have adopted a strategy of not necessarily taking what Trump says in showman mode at face value. Meeting with Democrats and Republicans at the White House in January, he talked up liberal immigration proposals only to backpedal later, when conservatives howled." (Same could be said of the gun control issue.)

"It doesn’t do much good, some Republicans reason, to attack the leader of their party over a position he might not hold for more than a couple of days."

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    And if he has a congress amenable to "historic" gun control laws, be ready for the Gun Control Act of 2025.

His ego... his "they should love me" issues... and "historic"... yeah, he'd do it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I think Trump is an ass, but we need a ass in that office. Especially after all the **** the Dems have pulled.
    He needs to go in and clean house, not someone who's going to go in and get walked on
    We agree on what needs to be done... just disagree on who is willing and able to do so.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    And if he has a congress amenable to "historic" gun control laws, be ready for the Gun Control Act of 2025.

His ego... his "they should love me" issues... and "historic"... yeah, he'd do it.
    And many on this forum would love him for it. They'd call the opponents RINOs.

"It was only a semi-auto!"

"You have to ignore what he says; it's just fluff. Take the guns!"

Realistically, he'd do it through the ATF, and then we would feel good because he did it the same way Biden did, again....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "Some Republicans have adopted a strategy of not necessarily taking what Trump says in showman mode at face value. Meeting with Democrats and Republicans at the White House in January, he talked up liberal immigration proposals only to backpedal later, when conservatives howled." (Same could be said of the gun control issue.)

"It doesn’t do much good, some Republicans reason, to attack the leader of their party over a position he might not hold for more than a couple of days."
    There it is from politico if you don’t believe me, again, “not necessarily taking what Trump says in showman mode at face value“.

Right from your own source.

Yep, big nothing burger. Like I said, he only is telling the truth when it is something Mike likes. If it something he doesn't, it is good lies and 4d chess.
    Apparently others find what they describe as ”showman mode”, a more articulate way of wording it, plausible…

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I guess everything Trump says that are contradictory to party positions can be conveniently explained away as Trump speaking in "showman" mode.

"Trump threw decades of party orthodoxy on gun rights out the window on Wednesday, as he mused aloud about enacting a comprehensive gun control package and said due process should come after guns are taken away from dangerous people."

"But Trump is still president. So they were more prone to rationalize or explain away his apparent openness to an assault weapons ban and more background checks — among other items on gun control advocates’ policy menu.

"Showman mode"

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I guess everything Trump says that are contradictory to party positions can be conveniently explained away as Trump speaking in "showman" mode.

"But Trump is still president. So they were more prone to rationalize or explain away his apparent openness to an assault weapons ban and more background checks — among other items on gun control advocates’ policy menu.

"Showman mode"
    I am really figuring out the INGO cannot be satisfied with anything. No matter what politicians do or say somebody here will complain. If they hold hearings they are just preening for the cameras. If they try to negotiate they “threw decades of party orthodoxy” out the window. No pleasing some people, and the worst are Trump haters, they will devour any narrative the left puts out there in their cult of TDS…

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    "Build a big, beautiful wall and make Mexico pay for it"
    Anyone who believed he literally meant Mexico would cut the US checks doesn't get it. I always took that to mean they would pay in various indirect ways.

He did scrap NAFTA to be replaced with the USMCA. Threatened to increase tariffs if they did not do their part preventing migrants from crossing over with "remain in Mexico" policy.
    He did "encourage" companies to bring operations back to the US or prevent them from leaving. He stopped Carrier from moving their operations from Indy to Mexico and I'm sure there are other examples.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am really figuring out the INGO cannot be satisfied with anything. No matter what politicians do or say somebody here will complain. If they hold hearings they are just preening for the cameras. If they try to negotiate they “threw decades of party orthodoxy” out the window. No pleasing some people, and the worst are Trump haters, they will devour any narrative the left puts out there in their cult of TDS…
    Anything that Trump says or does that I don't agree with I should take it as mere "Showmanship" and brush it off as such. Got It.

Last edited:

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Don't forget the Libertarians in that pile. People who feel so bright and unique that they can't vote for one of the two major candidates need to feel brilliant tossing their votes to some douche that won't even make the final results page. But they thought about it, and it feel gooder for it. This is a lot of why Republicans never unite. Look at the McCarthy fiasco. That Rep from Tennessee was no more put together than my stereotype above.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Don't forget the Libertarians in that pile. People who feel so bright and unique that they can't vote for one of the two major candidates need to feel brilliant tossing their votes to some douche that won't even make the final results page. But they thought about it, and it feel gooder for it. This is a lot of why Republicans never unite. Look at the McCarthy fiasco. That Rep from Tennessee was no more put together than my stereotype above.
    So we can put you down for uniting with the GOP nominee and vote for Trump even though you have been highly critical.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am highly critical. As much as I don't like Trump, it's not a contest with Biden.
    Some say if it's not a contest in favor of choosing Trump over Biden then you shouldn't be critical at all.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom