• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Easy. It’s the nearly perfect overlap between establishment Democrats and establishment Republicans on the Venn diagram. The most prominent example is Cheney, who is indistinguishable from a Democrat yet still calls herself a Republican.
    Cheney was not a serious Republican, so she got replaced. You can point at really moderate here and there, but we don't have a widespread Cheney problem. That's why this doesn't make sense to me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The Rs who voted against McCarthy cited the debt. The only way to do anything about the debt is to win all three required legs.
    And that just makes it possible, but history shows us not likely even then

I believe they were not citing the debt but complaining that he was giving up what leverage he had unilaterally while receiving nothing in return. McCarthy had months to work on spending bills but did little until the deadline loomed and then used that to press for a CR. More than just the debt, I think the caucus wants the house to take up its duties to actually budget and make the hard choices after open debate and own it with roll call votes

If you think they were
    overly optimistic, you may have noticed that there is talk just beginning in the media that Biden might compromise on border issues to get his Ukraine funding

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Cheney was not a serious Republican, so she got replaced. You can point at really moderate here and there, but we don't have a widespread Cheney problem. That's why this doesn't make sense to me.
    When The Turtle (senate minority leader, former majority leader) comes out and says that more money for Ukraine is the country's most important concern, whose water do you think he is carrying? Because it most assuredly is not ours

When Shroomer comes out and says the same thing, don't you wonder why there is NO daylight between them on such an issue? Why hundreds of billions for Ukraine are necessary or the terrorists win Putin wins? When you can't tell the parties apart without a program, something is wrong - and that something usually concerns feathering their own nests or greasing the revolving door (or both)

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    And that just makes it possible, but history shows us not likely even then

I believe they were not citing the debt but complaining that he was giving up what leverage he had unilaterally while receiving nothing in return. McCarthy had months to work on spending bills but did little until the deadline loomed and then used that to press for a CR. More than just the debt, I think the caucus wants the house to take up its duties to actually budget and make the hard choices after open debate and own it with roll call votes

If you think they were
    overly optimistic, you may have noticed that there is talk just beginning in the media that Biden might compromise on border issues to get his Ukraine funding
    Self-interested Rs who threw a fit over H. R. 5525 didn't do anything to get a better bill and gave up what leverage McCarthy did have to give conservatives an even worse bill. They got an extension without the spending cuts and the immigration provisions. Gaetz and the clown caucus did this.

Nobody other than Massie is willing to look at the hard choices. While we spend a lot on ridiculous items, the meat is either to cut entitlements, cut defense, or raise taxes in an inflationary environment - or rack up more debt. Nobody has the appetite to take one of the first three choices yet. To act like everyone who isn't making that hard choice the same would overlook several key attributes, in my opinion.

This accompanies the funny idea that a Haley and a Biden admin would be the same. That's a very bizarre world view to me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nobody other than Massie is willing to look at the hard choices. While we spend a lot on ridiculous items, the meat is either to cut entitlements, cut defense, or raise taxes in an inflationary environment - or rack up more debt. Nobody has the appetite to take one of the first three choices yet. To act like everyone who isn't making that hard choice the same would overlook several key attributes, in my opinion.
    $33 trillion of debt. Federal budget is ~$4 trillion. Ignoring for the moment that the annual budget isn't balanced and has over $1 trillion in new borrowing, If you made 10% across the board cuts to EVERYTHING (and I hope you know how unlikely that would be), paying off the debt would be a MULTI-GENERATIONAL undertaking. 33 trillion divided by that 400 billion saved in the 10% cuts would take a bit over 82 years to pay down the existing debt if it wasn't costing interest for debt service. Realistically it would take more than 100 years to pay it all

So why is it that people will make such a big deal about Trump moving heaven and earth to build the wall but not getting Mexico to pay for it like he promised, but will sit there and lap it up with a spoon when some politician tells them HE'S going to 'make the hard choices (hard for you, not for his household) and tackle the debt? It's just a bigger piece of pie in the sky, the only thing that will curb the debt is when we run off the cliff

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You can’t go by the “Republican lawmaker destroys democrats in hearing!” clickbait. How many Republicans and democrats voted against the amendment to remove kill switches in new vehicles? Look at the bills that pass with widespread support that **** us. Then look at who the Republicans are that voted with Democrats.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

“He’s talking about retribution, day in, day out,” Costa pointed out.

“He needs to stop that,” McCarthy responded, adding later that he expects Trump “adapt” when he “gets all the facts.”

"Trump’s calls for vengeance don’t line up with what voters want, according to McCarthy."

Top Bottom