• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I am looking for a 9mm. I want a full size...maybe a compact but have no interest in a sub compact. My problem is I wear a golf glove Men's Medium Cadet. Not a huge hand and with shorter fingers.

I haven't been able to shop a lot recently because of the weather. But the few times I have been able to check out some guns I think I would like, a comfortable trigger reach can be an issue.

For example, I would love to have a Beretta 92FS. But it just seems to big for me. I have checked out some full size 9mm who also have compact models. But while the barrel is shorter and the grip length is shorter there doesn't seem to be much difference in trigger reach.

I have not looked at any 1911 9mm single stacks to see if that would be a possibility.

I am wondering if other folks have this issue and wonder what guns were your solution?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have you looked at an M&P with the size small grip insert? If you handle one at a store, it may have the medium in it by default. Ask them to change it out for the small.

My wife is petite and she can reach the trigger fine.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Try an M&P full size with the small grip insert then put an apex trigger in it. My 14 year old brother can shoot it just fine.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I'm a relatively small guy.. (some would consider very small lol) 5'4" 125 lbs and I don't have big hands.. They aren't small for my size either but I just bought a Walther PPQ M2 and have the smallest grip insert in it and it works very well for me. You may just want to check out your LGS and see if you can hold a PPQ M2.. Hope this helps!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    A 1911 with the thinnest possible grips and A1 trigger would probably work nicely for you, especially if you use a flat mainspring housing.

Josh

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Greg, Dean and C2....Thanks for the heads up about the M&P and Walther....I am going to look at a Beretta PX4 storm too. I was wanting some specific guns with different grips that worked for people and u provided that.

Josh...do you have any specific 1911 9mm in mind?

J...any ideas where to look at a BHP?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

If you're in the Indy area, I could let you fondle one of mine. I've got one in Allen M's shop right now getting some work done on it. It should be getting done pretty soon. We're just waiting on the Trijicon sights to arrive.

I will admit they can be kind of hard to find these days...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Greg, Dean and C2....Thanks for the heads up about the M&P and Walther....I am going to look at a Beretta PX4 storm too. I was wanting some specific guns with different grips that worked for people and u provided that.

Josh...do you have any specific 1911 9mm in mind?

It depends on your use, but an RIA 4.25" (Commander) might be up your alley.

As well, I've heard very good things about entry-level STI pistols, like the Spartan.

Both are built on Armscor frames and are therefore less expensive than others.

Of course, if you should have the money to spend, you might contact Mr. Berryhill at Berryhill Customs. Tell him what you need and he'll make it.

There are us poor slobs who know how to wrench on guns, but then there are true artisans like Mr. Berryhill.

Josh

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Westside Bengal, I feel your pain. I am 5'3" and would consider my handsize as small. Through a lot of trial and error, range time, and many different purchases, I have found one thing...adaptation of my grip. I've had Glocks (both Gen 3's and 4's - the Gen 4's are a few mm small in grip circumference), M&P's, Springfields, Sigs, and HK's. Some with stock triggers, aftermarket shorter reach triggers like the APEX for my M&P Core, striker fired, DA/SA, all with different lengths of reach to the trigger. With following the proper grip of most semi-autos, I have found, too, that my index finger struggles to get proper alignment. I have learned through a lot of range time that if I cant my wrist ever so slight to the right (I'm right handed), I easily can reach any trigger comfortably on any of my pistols. I'm sure it affects reducing muzzle flip a little, but I believe that proper trigger control/finger alignment is key towards accuracy. Through practice and regular shooting, I have had no issues with requiring my target after initial shots and follow up shots.

An M&P with an APEX kit sounds like it may be up your alley, as it was the easiest to reach, but I also enjoy shooting single action in my Sigs (with the E2 grips and the thinner short reach trigger ) and Hk's which also make those or 1911's a great option as well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You can buy just about any steel or alloy frame CZ and get a reach reduction kit from Cajun Gun Works. They are made specifically for that issue. If you get the rest of the upgrades you will have a gun that will really knock your socks off.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I am looking for a 9mm. I want a full size...maybe a compact but have no interest in a sub compact. My problem is I wear a golf glove Men's Medium Cadet. Not a huge hand and with shorter fingers.

I haven't been able to shop a lot recently because of the weather. But the few times I have been able to check out some guns I think I would like, a comfortable trigger reach can be an issue.

For example, I would love to have a Beretta 92FS. But it just seems to big for me. I have checked out some full size 9mm who also have compact models. But while the barrel is shorter and the grip length is shorter there doesn't seem to be much difference in trigger reach.

I have not looked at any 1911 9mm single stacks to see if that would be a possibility.

I am wondering if other folks have this issue and wonder what guns were your solution?

I'm quite familiar with your situation - I'm 5'3" with a medium size hand and short fingers. When I first started shooting many years ago all that was really out there on the market was the big double/single action all-metal guns or the single actions. When I shot with them competitively, the Beretta 92 was horrible for me for the first shot - trigger reach too long on double action. Single action shots were no problem. My Hi-Power and 1911 also no problem. But anything larger than, say, a third-gen Smith 9 or 40 was just too much reach. Some guns I handled at the time were DAO and had a slightly shorter reach, but not much better really.

Then I bought my first Glock - a Gen 2 19. Shot a match with it the day after I purchased it and finished middle of the pack. Didn't have to throw away the first shot, which was awesome. Consistent pull for every shot, which had always been the strength of my single actions. Trigger reach was MUCH better than the Beretta, a little shorter than the DA/SA Smiths. Still was a bit bulky in the grip for me (front to back in grip more than anything) but when you're my size, you just had to learn to deal with it back then.

Had a hiatus for about 20 years - long story - so just in the last couple of years have re-acquainted myself with the market, and boy, have things changed. Seems lots of manufacturers have figured out that we're not all big burly cops with ham-sized hands.

Best double stacks I've found for reach for me? Glock Gen 4 with no backstrap added (9mm sized frame, though the 30 Gen 4 I held didn't seem overly large), M&P (had a Pro Series that had the textured backstrap that made a world of difference for grip), XD and XD(M) (these and the M&P have had the shortest reach I can recall), Sig P250 (if you want hammer fired and DAO - REALLY reminds me of my revolver days). The new P320 looks promising, as well. Held a Sig SP2022 and it was ALMOST right. FNH FNS 9 - especially with the flat backstrap installed, mine fits my hand great grip wise, trigger easily accessible.

You could say I've had a BIT of a search for the perfect fit since my "return".

Gen 4 Glock 19 is my personal choice for carry these days, alternating with my FNS 9 if the situation allows for the size. But the 19 is probably the go-to for me. M&P is just too slippery unless it's the Pro Series.

Top Bottom