• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Why must the tree huggers and other conservation minded individuals deny their inner self? Wouldn't wildlife management, forestry management and heck, "other forms" of CONSERVATION be , hang on.......CONSERVATIVE values? Are they just in denial of their true selves and cannot cope with the fact that they are all just followers with no mind of their own?......just a thought to reflect on...

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    The most conservation-minded folks I know are staunch conservatives. They do it out of a sense of pride and duty; they do it out of a sense of keeping what is theirs and a selfless commitment to pass it on; and they do it away from cameras. But they don't hug trees. They cut them down to build cool things like homes and hospitals, and they replant them.

I agree, those are conservative values.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Also people who live in the country and all farmers who have junk piles and go to them to get material to build and fix other equipment are the ultimate recyclers and not one bead wearing hippy has gave us the credit were due, I was recycling 30 years before the term came to the press.

The real truth is the hunters and Farmers are the only ones that have truly preserved the earth

There would not be an wild animal in the country if it weren't for hunters

If we acted like corporate Harvard grads this country would be a soil depleted wasteland

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Shouldn't most liberals embracy LIBERTY?

The problem is that people think Republican = Conservative and Democrat = Liberal. This is simply NOT TRUE.

The fact is that Republican = Democrat and neither equals conservative or liberal.

Vote libertarian.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

The problem is that people think Republican = Conservative and Democrat = Liberal. This is simply NOT TRUE.

The fact is that Republican = Democrat and neither equals conservative or liberal.

Vote libertarian.

I'd rep you, but I'm out.

The truth of the matter is that most "conservation" interferes with the free market and in unjustifiable.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    Living in China, I sometimes experience first hand the effects of little or no government-controlled conservation.

I went to Xi'an a year ago, to visit the famous terracotta warriors. It's a coal burning town. Hard to breathe. Was sick for a week after I left. It's like the environment in the US or Europe during the industrial revolution. (Well, not quite that bad)

I'm pro-environment, not because it will save the world, I do it because, I care about my own nearby surroundings. I want to breathe fresh air. I don't want to eat or drink poisons everywhere I go.

That said, I really wish I could eat Panda!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Vote libertarian.

:rolleyes:

libertarianism-anarchy.gif

oh, and I'm a conservative Republican - not a Democrat.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Well, I really hate standing in the middle of the road, but I'm stuck here dodging traffic with the majority of Americans. I see a responsibility to manage our environment, even more so as the population grows. I just set my priorities a bit differently from the "more educated" ones that would never allow any animal to be hunted or tree to be cut. Being so "uneducated", I'm probably wrong, but I think that as we remove natural habitat and food supply for the wildlife, we also must manage their population accordingly. As far as the trees go, I was born and raised half way in northern MN in a mill town. Managing the forest is a way of life when everyone for 150 miles in any direction depend on it for jobs. Cutting and planting and cutting and planting and cutting....and the land there looks like no man has ever set foot upon it. How can it be that such "uneducated" people can pull this off? All this brings to mind another point I've thought about lately, coyotes. The population is out of control and other game animals are beginning to diminish in numbers. Something has to be done soon or the "preppers" over in the survival/disaster section are going to be stuck eating coyote for nearly every meal;) Well, this rant has gone on long enough and I'm not even certain anything I've typed matches what I'm thinking....sleep deprivation....affecting brain....must go now

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

Vote libertarian.

You don't find any progressives that are Republicans.

So posting "Republican=Democrat" is just not true.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side

Well... you don't find any politicians that truely believe The People are free in either party... therefore Republican = Democrat.

A conservative should believe in extremelly limited government, however conservatives seek to control (read suppress) the rights of individuals... sure, maybe they support the rights of corporations, hence their supposed support for the 2A (as this supports gun manufacturers).

The political complaciency in this country makes me want to :puke:.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, I really hate standing in the middle of the road, but I'm stuck here dodging traffic with the majority of Americans. I see a responsibility to manage our environment, even more so as the population grows. I just set my priorities a bit differently from the "more educated" ones that would never allow any animal to be hunted or tree to be cut. Being so "uneducated", I'm probably wrong, but I think that as we remove natural habitat and food supply for the wildlife, we also must manage their population accordingly. As far as the trees go, I was born and raised half way in northern MN in a mill town. Managing the forest is a way of life when everyone for 150 miles in any direction depend on it for jobs...

I am with you 100% in this post. I am a conservationist and don't just talk the talk, a significant percentage of my life is devoted to it. Humans are part of this natural world as much as we've tried to place ourselves above it. Other than the fact that there's an order of magnitude too many of us which I feel is the biggest environmental threat, I feel it is incumbent upon us to live within our environmental budget.

I've structured my life to live this, not just talk. My woods I manage to provide timber on a sustainable basis, as well as to provide habitat for other plants and animals from the microscopic to the macroscopic. It provides part of my income and living (my house and shop are built from lumber from the property, some of my food comes from plants and game from my property, most of my heating comes from the property). I know more about not only how to grow trees, but how to manage a forest ecosystem than everyone I've ever talked to from Heartwood or the Sierra Club. Add to that I manage another local nature preserve for a nationwide non-profit. I also make sure that my representatives are well aware of my views on environmental issues, and I do believe that SOME areas should be set aside to be free from major human interactions, but not every area.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I am a tree gardener.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    This is an moderately amusing and entertaining thread, but I'm calling :bs:

Conservationism transcends political bent. In fact, there are liberal and conservative conservationists and those of the same stripe who could care less.

Next thing you right-wingers will be claiming exclusive rights to apple pie and Chevrolet.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

Actually Theodore Roosevelt was a Republican and a Progressive. In fact, he founded the Progressive Party(aka the Bull Moose Party) in the U.S.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I see nothing wrong with conservationism/preservationism and whatever other 'ism are applied.

However, it should be done at the individual level, and only at a group level if supported by the MAJORITY, not minority vote of the population.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Next thing you right-wingers will be claiming exclusive rights to apple pie and Chevrolet.
    You really have no idea just how not right or left I am. I am actually the anti-thesis of left and right. I claim nothing more than a basic understanding of the English language and certainly nothing exclusively. If we look at the word "conservative" and the word "conservation", we will see the common root they hold. CONSERVE, being the root of both lends to them both having the same root MEANING modified by their suffixes. At this point I hope you understand, as I really can't say it any simpler than this. Oh, one more thing, when I examine the word "liberal" I see NO common root, or even common/similar values placed upon it. In fact I think they may even be antonyms for one another and thus causing the TREE HUGGING LIBERALS to appear even more ignorant.

Top Bottom