• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    What form do you have to sbmit to cross state lines with your Class II toys? About how long does this take to get approved? And last, what about states that don't have the same laws as your home state? I've got a buddy in MO that we are hoping to go meet up with this coming fall. I'd love to take my two new toys over his way. MO is a F/A and Supressor freindly stat as far as I know, but we'd obviously have to travel through IL. I don't plan on getting pulled over and vehicles searched, but sometimes thigs happen outside of your control. Last I knew, F/A was legal in IL for dealer's only and even they couldn't have supressors! I giess one more question would be, how do you find out the laws of other states you will be travelling through and/or staying in?

Thanks,
    Doug K

playafoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Plainfield
    I'd like to know this as well. Every year I go to 4th of Juplaya in the Nevada desert to shoot and blow things up, and I'd love to bring something special...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What form do you have to sbmit to cross state lines with your Class II toys?

ATF Form 5320.20

About how long does this take to get approved?

I've never done one, but I'm hearing 2-3 weeks.

And last, what about states that don't have the same laws as your home state? I've got a buddy in MO that we are hoping to go meet up with this coming fall. I'd love to take my two new toys over his way. MO is a F/A and Supressor freindly stat as far as I know, but we'd obviously have to travel through IL.

You might want to double-check on MO's status. I have friends there and can confirm if you like. As far as traveling through non-friendly states, I would assume peaceable journey laws would apply as long as the guns are unloaded and locked in cases in the trunk, but IANAL and personally would not want to be caught traveling through IL with a machinegun, even if it WAS legal...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    IF I ever get the money to get a suppressor (soon, I hope?!?!?!)...

I have to file paperwork and get approval to take it to my in-laws in Ohio, eh? That sucks. Big ones.

Shooter, I know that you've not done one yourself, but do you know if you have to file paperwork for EVERY time you're transporting out of state?

For instance, I'm in Ohio several times through Nov. and December for various holidays.... It would SUCK to have to nail down exactly when I'd be in OH with the suppressor since travel plans change daily when we're on our trips.

I "suppose" that you could just submit dates in a large enough range as to cover any/all trips within a certain time span, though, right?

Dang regulations...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IF I ever get the money to get a suppressor (soon, I hope?!?!?!)...

I have to file paperwork and get approval to take it to my in-laws in Ohio, eh? That sucks.

Sorry, should've mentioned in my original post that suppressors and AOWs are exempt from the interstate paperwork; you only need to fill out a 5320.20 to transport SBR, SBS, MG or DD.

do you know if you have to file paperwork for EVERY time you're transporting out of state?

Yes, but you can file a 5320.20 for a given location for a timeframe of up to 1 year. So if you have an out of state location you shoot at several times a year, you only have to file one form. Lots of folks do this for Knob Creek.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification, Shooter and Britton.

I read through the 5320.20 and noticed that it didn't have a spot to list suppressors or AOW's. Had me thinking that they weren't covered...or at least not covered on that particular form.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Here you go indyguy:

Sorry, should've mentioned in my original post that suppressors and AOWs are exempt from the interstate paperwork; you only need to fill out a 5320.20 to transport SBR, SBS, MG or DD.

Yes, but you can file a 5320.20 for a given location for a timeframe of up to 1 year. So if you have an out of state location you shoot at several times a year, you only have to file one form. Lots of folks do this for Knob Creek.

Top Bottom