• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    I asked the Buckeye Firearms Association if my Indiana handgun license was honored in Ohio, below is the answer I received.

No, unfortunately Ohio does NOT honor Indiana's License. :xmad:
    The main reason is Ohio law states that the other state's laws' must be substantially similar' to Ohio's law. Since Indiana does not and has not for decades, required any training to obtain a license, Ohio law does not allow it to be honored here. If you have another states license such as a Florida out of state license, you may carry in Ohio on that.

Thanks for supporting Gun Rights in Ohio,
    Joe Eaton

Buckeye Firearms Association SW Ohio
    513-267-6088

Help keep Ohio's Legislature Pro-Gun

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    From what I can tell, Indiana has one of the least accepted carry licenses from the standpoint of reciprocity because we don't require training. There are several other states that don't require training as well, those states often don't have reciprocity with states like Ohio either.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Yeah my Michigan PERMIT was honored in many more states than the Indiana LICENSE is. I'd rather just have the Indiana one and not go to Ohio.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm an Indiana permit holder and an NRA Pistol instructor. I teach Ohio CCW classes near Cincinnati.
    I can teach them.
    I can sign their certificates.
    I can't carry in Ohio.
    I'm probably going to get a Utah or Florida so that I can carry in Ohio.
    Remember that you must follow the laws of the state that you are carrying in. Ohio has some strange ones so I would suggest getting you hands on info from the State of Ohio before carrying there.

Don N

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    From what I can tell, Indiana has one of the least accepted carry licenses from the standpoint of reciprocity because we don't require training. There are several other states that don't require training as well, those states often don't have reciprocity with states like Ohio either.

Greetings, all.

This may as well be my first post here. I go through the websites for each state that recognizes some (not all) others, every month or so, checking for changes, and based on that, I have to disagree with you, melensdad. With respect, our right to carry is recognized in 26 states. There are 14 that recognize no CCW or LTC (or whatever it may happen to be) except their own, if any. That only leaves ten that recognize some but not ours.

The resident holder of an IN LTC may lawfully carry in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MO, MT, NH, NC, ND, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WY.

States that recognize no right to carry but at most their own are CA, CT, HI, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, NE, NJ, NY, OR, RI, WI

We have still to convince DE, KS, MN, NV, NM, OH, SC, VA, WA, and WV that we're not dangerous to anyone who isn't attacking us, but there is hope for both WV and SC at present. (A UT CCW will get you all of those except KS and WV, both of which require you be a resident.)

I'm not writing just to argue, but I know that PA is our newest and some may not realize they recognize us now, and in any event, right-to-carry in over half the country isn't what I'd call least accepted. (PA and GA don't require training either, but I'm not sure of others)

I've been reading here for a week or so and I like what I see. Well done, folks!:thumbsup:

Blessings,
    B

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Open carry in OH is still legal. Should be legal for nonresidents also.

Not at rest stops.... trust me on that one. :D Last month we drove through OH on I-70 and me being me, we had to stop at every single one. They all had the "don't bring firearms here or Bad Things will happen" signs on them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think I'm going to look in to my FL or UT non-resident permits. As of July 19, I'm going to have several in-laws in OH. It'd be nice to be able to leave my pistol on my hip when I get to Wilshire.

-J-

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    I think I'm going to look in to my FL or UT non-resident permits. As of July 19, I'm going to have several in-laws in OH. It'd be nice to be able to leave my pistol on my hip when I get to Wilshire.

-J-

So someone explain how this works. Don't you have to be in one of the states to apply?

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hiram,

To get the Non-resident FL permit:

1. Contact the FL CPL/CCW department(I don't know the correct name)

2. request the applications

3. Fill out application

4. copy your training certs( the application will tell you what is ok)

5. go to your local police department and get finger printed.

6. get a postal money order filled out to the correct state department.

7. get a pass port photo

8. put all in the envelope and send it off.

9. wait for your permit to arrive...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Not the training hang up again! As the guy behind the Indiana-Texas reciprocity agreement, I can tell you that it was not Indiana's lack of training. DPS simply did not want to recognize any other state's license to carry.

Indiana is not widely recognized because we have not been aggressive in making other state recognize us. People either: 1. whine and moan, 2. get a Florida or Utah license and do not make a fuss over Indiana's lack of recognition.

I always advise people to get the Florida license. I've had one for a long time. At $117 for 5 years it is cheap insurance and will get you far.:)

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Glad someone asked about how to get the FL license, or I was going to! I may pursue getting one, but I will have to get some type of training then. What works, and how much is it?

Is the UT easy to get also?

All this is good info to have.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    There another states license that better than Florida's. I thought it was Utah, but I cannot remember.

There was a guy at the 1500 who had a table setup for this license. I just cant remember the state.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The Utah license is cheaper and very easy to obtain. You must take a one day classroom course which gives you an application signed by the Utah recognized instructor. This application along with a finger print card and a passport photo and $59.00 gets you a Utah, non-resident license. The license is good in about 31 states and lasts for 5 years. Check out Marion County Fish and Game website Marion County Fish and Game Association, Indianapolis, Indiana for a link to a local, Utah certified instructor. The people in Utah are very nice. I lost my wallet last winter which contained my Indiana and Utah licenses. Both were easy to replace. Utah even has a website where you can check on the progress of your application.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I have two sets of FL CCW permit paperwork sitting on top of my safe right now waiting for me to start the process, which reminds me I need to get the ball rolling on renewing my IN license to carry since it expires in 6 months.
    If any of you is ever in the Jacksonville Fl area you can recieve the Fl CCW training at a shop/range named Gun Gallery. I used to work there a couple years ago, the class is taught on Wednesday night. If you have BRD NewARguy from ARFCOM is the manager there and has a wall full of awesome Black Rifles. You can also submit a copy of your DD-214 if you have one instead of taking the training class.

Top Bottom