• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't have political bumper stickers. If you are wearing clothing that could be offensive. Remove it or turn it inside out.

Blend, dont peacock all over the place.

The way folks are jumping on the train to be loaded down like Neo from the matrix. It makes me feel like we are dangerously close to recreating the legendary mall ninja thread.
    My buddy retired Indiana State Police told me years ago about not putting bumper stickers on your vehicle. It not only draws attention to you from LEO's but criminals as well. I have followed his word for years. I've also heard license plates can get you into trouble like veteran plates with a certain Arabic religious group.

Don't advertise is the smart choice.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    CM is right driving around the big “A” will save some pain.
    Know the big cities you travel around some of them can be fine during the day then turn Mogadishu at night.
    Others are no go zones like East St. Louis,IL which are dangerous at all times.
    BTW
    If you think Indy is a driving/traffic problem take on Atlanta!
    RFT. I got my wings on GA-400 outside the city. Spending my early 20's in that city made me a mix of a cautious and aggressive driver at the same time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    CM is right driving around the big “A” will save some pain.
    Know the big cities you travel around some of them can be fine during the day then turn Mogadishu at night.
    Others are no go zones like East St. Louis,IL which are dangerous at all times.
    BTW
    If you think Indy is a driving/traffic problem take on Atlanta!
    CM is always right, but...

...between road construction, soon to be over fueled by insane inferstructure tax money, pile up accidents and riots, who knows where you might end up?

maxresdefault.jpg

Putting the current lawlessness of rioting being cool aside, road construction itself is often far from commuter friendly. Even in mundane Indy, getting back on 465 can be quite intimidating. Over the years, I have been trapped in poor neighborhoods late in the evening, just trying to find an open onramp to the highway.

Last edited:

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    All seriousness, I think about this every time I travel. Much of my route is not legally reciprocal for carry, including typical final destination. I hate it.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How much and how often will you have to leave most of it in a vehicle? i.e. are you traveling directly to stay with family or renting a cabin in the woods, or will you be in a hotel room getting cleaned each day etc?

I travel with my EDC and a backup most of the time and plenty of mags, etc.

What I'd be concerned about with that load out you mention is where it is going to be when not in my direct presence and how easy would it be for someone else to get to / how secure would it be.

Don't want to spend a trip worrying about not having enough gun, but also don't want to spend a trip worrying about all the guns you can't directly carry on your person either.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Sidearm and an ak/ar pistol for everyone that can wield one on their own. Compact/light(ish) and easy to conceal in your luggage so your hotel rooms are well protected. A combat load out for each (210rds) in mags and ready to go. Packing light is a thing of the past with what we’re experiencing in this country currently.
    Are you going to Disney world or Fallujah?

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Are you going to Disney world or Fallujah?

sorry...I was a boy scout and in the Marine Corps for 8 years...my opinion on ‘traveling light’ may be a bit out of the realm of what most consider ‘normal’.

I was in a trucking company that was somewhat infamous for being a ‘war on wheels’...6th motors ran the Baghdad express and many other convoys and I was attached to ‘gun wavin New Haven (CT)’

oddly enough, I drive a VW bus and am armed to the teeth basically 100% of the time unless I’m in the shower. Or the post office.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What if this is the emergency room that you need to take your child or wife or family member to while on your trip?

...says the gathering of at least 30 to 40 people outside of the emergency room entrance appeared to be protesters, and a lot of officers were guarding the doors to the hospital.

Vehicles gradually started filing out of the parking lot.

Meanwhile, the area of 11th Street and 31st Avenue continues to be blocked off to traffic at this time. Please avoid, if possible...

:n00b:

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    What if this is the emergency room that you need to take your child or wife or family member to while on your trip?

...says the gathering of at least 30 to 40 people outside of the emergency room entrance appeared to be protesters, and a lot of officers were guarding the doors to the hospital.

Vehicles gradually started filing out of the parking lot.

Meanwhile, the area of 11th Street and 31st Avenue continues to be blocked off to traffic at this time. Please avoid, if possible...

:n00b:

Hardly anyone EDCs med equipment though.

StatlRed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Indy Southsider--Johnson County
    I am in agreement with all the posts that are advising to avoid Atlanta. I have a route south through Alabama now that is much more pleasant to drive, and approximately the same amount of time.

When I travel, it is generally with one handgun, and one or two additional mags, depending on capacity. My typical carry will be a CZ Rami or DW ECO.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    You could always review the numerous threads about being situationally aware?

Maybe look into all the riots just last year durring the lockdowns?

:koolaid:

View attachment 133506
    This didn't really happen, right? If you don't know what or where it is, might want to study up a bit?

These fine folks are still out there, not only unaccountable for their crimes, they are embolden.

A fat soy boy in skinny jeans brandishing a Taurus, welcome to Indiana. Lol

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I typically take two handguns when I travel. One to use and one in a safe as a get home gun in case that I do have to use it. I don't travel with long guns. Unless it's readily accessible in the passenger compartment, it's useless while on the road. There's a definite trick to keeping one readily accessible but also not a hazard. See Shrek's videos on the topic for a good primer. I can't imagine a scenario for a traveler stateside that, from the driver seat, isn't better solved with a handgun or gas pedal. Then when I get where I'm going, how do I secure it? I have a travel safe for handguns, but not for a long gun.

How many tourniquets are in your car? Wound packing gauze? How much water?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Extar EP9 with three 33 round Glock mags and Individual First Aid Kit, (IFAK) travels with us in a tennis racket bag. That and my EDC pistol for long trips that will take us near urban areas.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My SIL is a gun guy too, should have lead with that, hoping to find time to shoot, 7.62x 39 being the only affordable ammo right now...

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think you will be under guned! Just going from Indy to Springfield, Ohio I take 6 rifles and 12-14 revolvers and autos. 5000-8000 rounds of ammo. And I was not a Boy Scout.

The few times I have been stopped by law enforcement they never say a thing. Rifles are lever actions and Sharps and High Walls.

Top Bottom