Transporting a handgun to a different state to shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I know that we all have seen the question from noobs where they ask if they can take their gun to the range if they don't have an LTCH. This is a slightly different take on that. I'll lay out the scenario exactly, and tell me if it is legal.

Father-in-law resides in Pennsylvania and has purchased a handgun in PA. He doesn't have their version of an LTCH yet. Can he transport the firearm to Indiana (passing through WV and OH) to shoot at my range with me? Obviously he would follow all of the standard rules (unloaded, in case, in back of vehicle).

Thanks,

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just observe the standard rules and you'll be legal and fine. Transporting is legal in most states. In others, you can travel through without stopping under federal interstate transportation laws.

EDIT: Does he have a CCP for PA? It will be valid here, maybe WV, but probably not in OH.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    No carry permit of any type.

Anyone know any place where this is spelled out in print? Would love to send the appropriate statutes to him.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I still don't like Ohio wording even though its much better than it used to be.

The way I read it if you get pulled over, don't have a license, but the handgun is stored unloaded, with the ammunition separate from the firearm in its own enclosure, do I have a duty to "promptly inform"? It seems that the duty to inform only applies to CCW holders, and only if you have a loaded firearm.

Its also a little vague on "enclosure". Currently I put the unloaded hangun in the center console ( I believe that meets their definition of a "box") and the ammunition in the glove compartment (also meets the definition of a separate enclosure), but I really don't want to be the test case.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I still don't like Ohio wording even though its much better than it used to be.

The way I read it if you get pulled over, don't have a license, but the handgun is stored unloaded, with the ammunition separate from the firearm in its own enclosure, do I have a duty to "promptly inform"? It seems that the duty to inform only applies to CCW holders, and only if you have a loaded firearm.

Its also a little vague on "enclosure". Currently I put the unloaded hangun in the center console ( I believe that meets their definition of a "box") and the ammunition in the glove compartment (also meets the definition of a separate enclosure), but I really don't want to be the test case.

I'm not current on gun laws other than those in Indiana, but I do know that in years past, some states definition of a secured firearm meant that it had to be stored outside the reach of the vehicle occupants. This pretty much limited you to the trunk.
    It still had to be unloaded and ammo stored separately.

ALWAYS check the localities you plan to travel to or through.
    The hand gun laws website posted above is an excellent reference. Read it and understand the nuances of each state and/or municipality.
    Some have a "duty to inform" while others do not.

Some ranges restrict handgun shooters to license holders.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I just read the statute from ohio again and it give AN option of storing it in a manner that you would have to leave the passenger compartment of the vehicle to retrieve it... but it also states OTHER acceptable methods, like two pouches each with its own zipper would qualify even if they were laying on the seat next to you. At least that's the way it sounds to me.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    I haven't read through all of the states on that site, but I was under the impression that "duty to inform" applied to concealed carry and not transporting unloaded firearms that are out of reach. I take it there are states where this is not the case?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am going solely on memory here, but I know that OH used to require that ammo be removed from magazines, even if the mags were not in the gun, for the gun to be considered "unloaded".

I also recall that that was possibly changing, but don't recall if it did.

I mention it only because doing that would be one more step you took to attempt to comply with the law, and would possibly stand you in better stead, should you have to explain yourself.

As always, reference sites such as handgunlaw.us (mentioned in post #4, of which Mr. Slider, of post #6, is a principal) are excellent. They are, IMHO, your second best reference, second only to reading the law for yourself.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I am going solely on memory here, but I know that OH used to require that ammo be removed from magazines, even if the mags were not in the gun, for the gun to be considered "unloaded".

I also recall that that was possibly changing, but don't recall if it did.

I mention it only because doing that would be one more step you took to attempt to comply with the law, and would possibly stand you in better stead, should you have to explain yourself.

As always, reference sites such as handgunlaw.us (mentioned in post #4, of which Mr. Slider, of post #6, is a principal) are excellent. They are, IMHO, your second best reference, second only to reading the law for yourself.

Blessings,
    Bill

Good point on the mags. Some states consider the loaded mag as a loaded gun while others don't. Another point to consider is that even the people who mod handgunlaw.us state that you still better cover your butt yourself and not depend on them for legal advice.

Top Bottom