• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The way I see it there is no difference in you holding one of my guns at my house without a permit or being at a gun range so long as it is not run by the State. private property rules.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Seriously - this needs to be in "required reading" when signing up for INGO. Make reading and comprehending the statute a requirement that must be verified before allowing a user to sign up.

You are not a lawyer. The police officer who may or may not cite you is not a lawyer. Jim Bob Gunshop Owner is not a lawyer no matter what they say. The only people who are lawyers are LAWYERS AND PROSECUTING ATTORNEYS. You never know what side of the issue the prosecutor will fall until it happens. Why cause yourself all the trouble. Pay the "fee" or "unconstitutional poll tax" or "lease your rights back from the gubbamint" and GET THE STUPID LICENSE.

We have it too good in Indiana - compared to the rest of the nation, handgun licensing is downright lax. There is no registration, and we can carry how we see fit. The only catch is that we have to cough up the money for the license - and given that the cost of the license is less than half of an "entry level" handgun - we can afford it. All of the griping about changing the laws has the potential to become REALLY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. We're all kicking a hornets nest. See what kind of anti-gunners come out of the woodwork with competing legislation trying to FURTHER RESTRICT YOUR RIGHTS. It will not be pretty.
    Why get the license, just carry a shotgun.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Put the gun in the case or a bag. Never carry it on you during the trip. If you get stopped by LEO then your buddy with LTCH owns all pistols in the vehicle.;)

That's how I see it but doesn't mean I'm right:D

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Seriously - this needs to be in "required reading" when signing up for INGO. Make reading and comprehending the statute a requirement that must be verified before allowing a user to sign up.

You are not a lawyer. The police officer who may or may not cite you is not a lawyer. Jim Bob Gunshop Owner is not a lawyer no matter what they say. The only people who are lawyers are LAWYERS AND PROSECUTING ATTORNEYS. You never know what side of the issue the prosecutor will fall until it happens. Why cause yourself all the trouble. Pay the "fee" or "unconstitutional poll tax" or "lease your rights back from the gubbamint" and GET THE STUPID LICENSE.

We have it too good in Indiana - compared to the rest of the nation, handgun licensing is downright lax. There is no registration, and we can carry how we see fit. The only catch is that we have to cough up the money for the license - and given that the cost of the license is less than half of an "entry level" handgun - we can afford it. All of the griping about changing the laws has the potential to become REALLY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. We're all kicking a hornets nest. See what kind of anti-gunners come out of the woodwork with competing legislation trying to FURTHER RESTRICT YOUR RIGHTS. It will not be pretty.

Although I understand your end sentiment about "GET THE STUPID LICENSE," I disagree with most everything else you wrote in this post.

As far as your first statement, "make reading and comprehending the statute a requirement"..........well, first of all, I think we can all agree that most laws and codes are written in a way that is open to interpretation. This is often why we go to court. One side trying to get the judge/jury to interpret the law the way THEY read it to be true. When a ruling is made one way or the other, case law can be used to support future interpretations. Many have asked for case law regarding this specific situation. If you are so bold as to feel like you have the perfect and clear understanding of IC, then by all means back it up with facts. Untill then, this is an open forum where people come to debate and argue things that are not set in stone.

I will also say that I disagree with your closing statements. Although I find IN gun laws to be excellent in comparison to the mean of the country, that does not make them flawless. There is always room for improvement. I think many on this board would agree that this specific "loose" part of the code can use a bit of clarification. I would argue that most are attempting to ensure that they DON'T break the law, rather than attempting to side-step it.:twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So what you guys are saying is that my 14 year old daughter isn't allowed to shoot any of my handguns at the range?

No. There are special provisions for youth accompanied by an adult.

Regarding this topic, some discussion of recent case law makes me even more comfortable allowing a non-license holder to shoot my guns in my presence or to transport theirs and maintain the same coverage while they shoot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-odd_sign_at_wilbur_wright-6.html#post1189718

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So what you guys are saying is that my 14 year old daughter isn't allowed to shoot any of my handguns at the range?

Regarding this topic, some discussion of recent case law makes me even more comfortable allowing a non-license holder to shoot my guns in my presence or to transport theirs and maintain the same coverage while they shoot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-odd_sign_at_wilbur_wright-6.html#post1189718

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    ----

So, a child can transport a handgun w/o an LTCH, but an adult cant? :dunno:

joker7037

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Do ranges that rent handguns require a LTCH? If not how is this any different? My wife shoots my handgun all the time, she has yet to get her LTCH. She wanted to be comfortable around them first before getting LTCH.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The sad thing is that nobody really knows the answer. Until case law is referenced, everything is just an opinion. Does anyone have a case or police blotter where this has come up? I've been looking but have had no success.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

I'm frequently accused of being a child, do that qualify me? Even if I have a note from my Mommy?
    :laugh::laugh:

Unfortunately, and in all seriousness, our society has degraded to the point where the simple, straightforward language of our Consitution has been twisted, bent, folded and mutilated ** to the point where no one, even the so called Legal Experts, can understand it any more. It is sad that law abiding citizens have to navigate this snake pit, that courts have to spend time and money to interpret it, and ambulance chasing, linguini spined, commie flag waving lawyers are getting rich off of it.

(** Also see FUBAR)

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    The sad thing is that nobody really knows the answer. Until case law is referenced, everything is just an opinion. Does anyone have a case or police blotter where this has come up? I've been looking but have had no success.
    I'm with ^ and LtScott . From what I read I wouldn't take a chance on it. Knowing my luck, there would be someone just waiting for me to hang that laundry out instead of attending to their own.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom