• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I didn't take a picture, so this isn't going to be an exact quote, but it'll be close. The "processes" word is what the sign said.

Indiana law requires that any person that processes a handgun at this range must have a handgun license.

I don't know of any code that restricts an individual from shooting a handgun, as long as somebody with a license does the transporting of the handgun.

What is this sign really trying to say and is it accurate?

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    Of course they are trying to say possesses a handgun.
    A handgun license does not have to be a PP license, could be target also. However, I am sketchy on what they are trying to say too, doesn't seem right.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    It almost sounds like they are trying to say that to even shoot you must have an LTCH, but like I said I don't know of any code that supports this.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Indiana Code 35-47-2

Here is the code referring to carrying or possessing a handgun.

I think if you are shooting a handgun at a range you would be carrying or possessing a handgun illegally if you didn't have a LTCH or a target liscense.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I'll rephrase my question:

Let's say I take a buddy to the range with me. I take a handgun and posses an LTCH. He does not have an LTCH. Is there any IC that restricts said buddy from shooting said handgun as the sign (attempts) leads one to believe?

Or in other words - is shooting a handgun at a shooting range "carrying" ?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    To possess a handgun off of your own property you must have a valid LTCH. To shoot a handgun you must hold, ie. possess it. The way the law is written holding or shooting a handgun at a public range is illegal without a LTCH. Though this is seldom enforced it is the law.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If your friend is shooting a handgun then he is in possession of it, hence he would be carrying it.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    So would that mean I could not take my son or daughter shooting with me at a DNR range? (Or any range off my property for that matter)...

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I believe that a minor child under direct supervision of a parent is ok. Once they turn 18 they would need a LTCH. Hopefully one of our resident legal experts can cite the proper IC.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    IC specifies carry only. Not shooting, and not possession. The Sheriff and Police routinely lead shooting courses for new shooters, who do not yet have their LTCH. I believe the Boone County sheriff even asks that you call ahead if you do not have a valid LTCH so they can make arrangements to either pick up your pistol or let you borrow one.

Sounds like WW either has their own policy, or does not understand the code.

And how are they ticketing folks? If someone was breaking this "law", it would be a felony, not a ordinance violation. I'd be interested to see one of these tickets.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    My understanding of the law is that you can not carry/possess a handgun with out a license. Now this would only apply to handguns. Indiana is great place for gun owners except in this fashion.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And how are they ticketing folks? If someone was breaking this "law", it would be a felony, not a ordinance violation. I'd be interested to see one of these tickets.

First offense is an A Mis, not a felony. Second offense is a D felony. It's still not a ticketing offense, though.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Years ago I was at the Atterbury range when a DNR officer came checking for Licenses. One guy next to me had one the other did not. The DNR asked who owned each weapon. The fellow without the license had his handgun confiscated. It seemed to me if both guns belonged to the license holder there would not have been a problem.

Top Bottom