• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    When questioned by authorities, Mr. Jones stated he had taken his Glock .40 handgun from the glove compartment of his truck. He was walking to the house when he tripped and fell, then accidentally shot himself in the leg just above the knee.

Jones yelled to his wife for help. Aleisha was upstairs bathing their young son when she heard her husband's call for help. When she arrived on the screened porch, she tried to secure the gun but her son beat her to the gun.

After attempting to take the gun from the child, a round was fired. Aleisha was hit in the left side of her neck.

Mother Accidentally Shot by Son, Father also Injured | Local15tv.com, Mobile & Pensacola News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

Another reminder, to train your kids to use the gun you carry. Never know when you might shoot yourself, and your kid might shoot your wife....:)

Another question comes to mind, alot of folks say "manual safetys kill people", like thats the ONLY outcome of a gun having a manual safety, its interesting that that works both ways, and nothing is ever black and white.

I found it an interesting story.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I doubt a man who would be walking into his house with his finger on the trigger would have gone a whole lot longer without shooting himself if he had a safety...

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    If you're walking around with a loaded gun, out of leather, with your finger on the trigger...you don't accidentally shoot yourself. :twocents:

I always keep my PPS in my leather IWB holster even when I'm not carrying it. It's very difficult to accidentally pull the trigger when you can't put your finger in the trigger guard. Plus, I can easily shove the holster off far enough to reach the trigger using only one hand.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Does it ever take two hands to get a gun out of a holster? :dunno:

Yes, if your holster isn't attached to anythine. One such senario is leaving the gun in the holster, on the nightstand at night. Holster protects the trigger in case you tend to move around or act things out in your sleep, and would require two hands to unholster.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Does it ever take two hands to get a gun out of a holster? :dunno:

He leaves the gun in the holster even when the holster is not attached to his pants/belt...he can still draw his weapon with one hand even when the holster is not attached to anything. which is actually pretty hard to do...at least with my holster.
    in other words..the gun never needs to leave the holster..if it stays in the holster the trigger can not be pulled.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I understand the dynamics of having one's personal defense weapon 'ready to go' at all times, but for crying out loud, keep it in the holster and/or leave the chamber empty.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Aleisha was upstairs bathing their young son when she heard her husband's call for help. When she arrived on the screened porch, she tried to secure the gun but her son beat her to the gun.

Holy Hell, her son beat her down stairs to the scene and got to the handgun before her.... that was laying next to the man. Folks this isn't stupid people... this has entered a whole new demention of FUBAR Genetics.

Not sure about yal but my kids responder very well to a boisterous "NO!"

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    she didnt hear the shot but heard him yell for help? i doubt that. last time i shot without ear plugs it reminded me guns where fairly loud

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Holy Hell, her son beat her down stairs to the scene and got to the handgun before her....

And he was the one taking a bath?! :n00b:

This story is full of fail. A manual safety wouldn't have helped folks like this. It might've delayed their stupidity, but certainly not prevented it.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Yes, if your holster isn't attached to anythine. One such senario is leaving the gun in the holster, on the nightstand at night. Holster protects the trigger in case you tend to move around or act things out in your sleep, and would require two hands to unholster.

Correct! :yesway:

He leaves the gun in the holster even when the holster is not attached to his pants/belt...he can still draw his weapon with one hand even when the holster is not attached to anything. which is actually pretty hard to do...at least with my holster.
    in other words..the gun never needs to leave the holster..if it stays in the holster the trigger can not be pulled.

Also correct! :yesway:

I imagine it depends largely on the gun/holster combination, but I don't have any problem unholstering one handed in this situation. I get a good grip, then push forward on the holster with my thumb and trigger finger until the trigger is uncovered. My trigger finger can get pretty good leverage on the belt clip, so it isn't hard at all.
    I have a Walther PPS 9mm in a leather IWB made for a Glock 26, which fits it surprisingly well. I imagine the slim profile of the PPS allows this ability better than most. I can also reholster my gun IWB with one hand, which is unusual for leather holsters due to them collapsing.

Sorry for the confusion; I thought I was clear from the context of the rest of my post. Thanks to the both of you for saying what I thought I did. :D

Top Bottom