• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am just North of Lowell. I have someone coming out from the North side of Chicago to visit. Being North siders in the city they do not have a car. They can figure out how to get to the train station in Chicago. What are the rail options for them to come out as far as they can via train and for me to pick them up? It doesn't matter to me where in the Region I would have to go to pick them up but would obviously like the shortest drive for me but would balance that with safety and ease of travel for them.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I rode the South Shore line to South Bend around late May of last year. It’s a long ride with numerous train switches and the seats kinda sucked. Cheap? Yes. But next time I’d just rent a car lol.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks, South Shore looks like slow but they have a decent schedule, would probably pick them up in Miller.

I am finding it almost impossible to navigate Amtraks website, But it looks like their stations would be either in Hammond or Dyer but with very limited service. Anywhere else?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    If they're from Chicago, they're familiar with the L
    Have 'em ride the Purple/Red Line to 95th/Dan Ryan.

Be a good friend and go pick them up there. It's an extra 20min for you, but will easily cut 45min off of their travel.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am finding it almost impossible to navigate Amtraks website,
    And you really gotta watch them. I tried to book a train trip to DC for something different for the family. I saw there is a rail line on their website from Indy to Richmond. Great. Lets see how much it would cost for an overnight sleeper service.

Their suggestion:
    Go to downtown Indy. (ok, so good so far)
    Go to the station and get on a Greyhound bus. (LOLWUT?!?!)
    Greyhound bus to Richmond, VA. (How about nooooo?)
    Train from Richmond to DC.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

Be a good friend and go pick them up there. It's an extra 20min for you, but will easily cut 45min off of their travel.
    I grew up riding the CTA including the red line. I drive the Ryan daily to work, I would not dream of putting someone in the danger that is there.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

95th and Dan Ryan is such a great area...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Show up early with a door gunner and cover them from the train to your ride.
    You have never ridden the CTA. The **** show literally begins as soon as you get near the first bus stop or turnstiles, then its about whom and what toxic substances are on the busses or L cars, the least of my concerns would be at the 95th station.

I was hoping to get some info on Amtrak and South Shore not silliness about the CTA

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You have never ridden the CTA. The **** show literally begins as soon as you get near the first bus stop or turnstiles, then its about whom and what toxic substances are on the busses or L cars, the least of my concerns would be at the 95th station.

I was hoping to get some info on Amtrak and South Shore not silliness about the CTA
    Its INGO. You'll get both here.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Shortest drive - I would put them on the Metra Electric (ME) downtown and pick them up at University Park (Monee/Crete). Granted, we have been out of that area now for 10+ years, perhaps things have changed.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Amtrak will be a no go - expensive, limited schedule and unreliable travel times.

South Shore might work, but they still have to get to Randolph & Michigan and find the correct platform. Then wait for a departure which could be a couple hours if it's not 4pm-6pm weekday. Then there will be a hour ride. If you insist on train travel this is really your only option, but less than ideal for them.

If you think either Amtrak or South Shore is immune to the CTA shenanigans, you're deluded. Maybe not quite as bad, but still includes the same characters in the same locations. People in the city probably have a different expectation of public transit.

If comfort and safety of your guests is priority one, go pick them up from their place.
    If you're not willing to drive 'em yourself, perhaps a Limo or Uber is the solution.

Everything else will be a compromise of that factor, trading speed and ease of travel.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Shortest drive - I would put them on the Metra Electric (ME) downtown and pick them up at University Park (Monee/Crete). Granted, we have been out of that area now for 10+ years, perhaps things have changed.
    Thanks I am so far out of touch I didn't even think of Metra

Top Bottom