• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't see the issue. I don't normally do it, but it can cut out the middle man of having to collect cash, then turn around and make another deal to buy something. A straight trade can save time/hassle. Most of the trades I've done have been with cash added on one side or the other. It's all good, whatever works to make each happy.

I get tired of seeing the same ads getting bumped 75 times over a 4-5 months period. There should be a time or bump limit. It's common sense if you have to bump your ad 75 times then your price is too high or no one wants it

My take on this is some guns aren't in high demand. It's not that the price is wrong, it might not be that no one wants it, but that the right deal needs to come along. Where I get annoyed is the obviously overpriced ads. $1k for my horribly stippled G19 gen 3 with 5 holsters and a bunch of other :poop: I don't need... :):

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    When I go through the 'sale' ads, I usually go through the first 10 pages. For the most part, I don't mind bumps, but at some point too many is too many. As mentioned, if it is bumped 20 times over 6 months it is either: A.) priced too high, or B.) nobody wants it. I won't buy a gun that the seller admits has been modified, by anyone. You work on guns all the time and have done A, B, and C? Keep it. You sent it out to Fred's Discount BBQ and Gun Shop for X, Y, and Z? Keep it. Accessories? If you have 7 holsters, or 6 off-brand el-cheap-O magazines, or 500 rounds of aluminum case ammo, and throw them in with the gun, that is all well and good. Please don't expect me to pay extra for junk you wasted your money on. I do look at trades, but I generally don't have what trader wants, or have no use for what trader is trading. They seem way too specific to me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I go through the 'sale' ads, I usually go through the first 10 pages. For the most part, I don't mind bumps, but at some point too many is too many. As mentioned, if it is bumped 20 times over 6 months it is either: A.) priced too high, or B.) nobody wants it. I won't buy a gun that the seller admits has been modified, by anyone. You work on guns all the time and have done A, B, and C? Keep it. You sent it out to Fred's Discount BBQ and Gun Shop for X, Y, and Z? Keep it. Accessories? If you have 7 holsters, or 6 off-brand el-cheap-O magazines, or 500 rounds of aluminum case ammo, and throw them in with the gun, that is all well and good. Please don't expect me to pay extra for junk you wasted your money on. I do look at trades, but I generally don't have what trader wants, or have no use for what trader is trading. They seem way too specific to me.
    Yep,

And on that note, a vanilla gun is more likely to sell than a heavily accessorized one. So reverse what you can.

That rifle with the scope, WML, and 6 other bolt-ons isnt going to sell for what you got in it. Ever. Unless its rare and out of production.

So list the rifle for a reasonable amount, and list the accessories separately.

You're more likely to find 20 guys that would be willing to buy your Rifle and 8 individual accessories than you will find one guy willing to buy the exact combo you chose.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I think trade value is higher than cash value because to sell an item you have to put in effort which cost $$. So if I list an item for $500 cash, and you want to trade, I want that item to be worth $550 because I need to put in effort to sell it to get my $500 in cash. If you are on the other side of the trade, then why not just sell your item for the $550 you think it's worth and pay with cash if you think your getting a bad deal.
    Lol...Put in the effort?? You don't put in any more effort to trade or sell. You list and people message about your sale. 1 isn't more time spent than the other to deal with perhaps trading could me more to deal with being you get more messages with stuff you don't want.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    LOL, Years ago on the Maryland Shooters Forum there was a set of Bongo's that were listed and bumped ferociously for 9 months to a year. Everybody complained about them. But they were within the rules of the forum.
    A new thread was started and a bunch of members kept getting donations to buy the bongos and put them out of their misery,
    As I recall, they went to a range and did a mad minute with a bunch of full autos on those poor bongos.
    Its a thread better than the Wallet here.
    Andy might remember it also.
    I do not remember the wallet thing but see it mentioned alot. Can someone enlighten me? Whats up with wallet

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Late to the thread, as normal, but I don’t have an issue trading, sometimes. I have more guns than I need, so it’s not like I’m generally looking to trade this for that and have ended up with some neat guns from trades. I have often times made trades with ‘boot’ one way or another. I don’t see an issue with that. If you have a gun worth 500 and I have one worth 700, or vice versa, value is value if you both are happy with the trade. I never have understood the cash or trade price difference deal. If your gun is worth X amount it doesn’t matter if you get cash or an equal value trade.
    I also get a kick out of people only wanting to trade but the items are so vastly different. Like is seems more likely that you could trade a 7.62 AK for a 5.45 AK than to trade a Trapdoor Springfield for a SCAR heavy. Or the guys with like three crap quality guns who wants to trade them all for a very nice gun. Like I’m sure a guy driving a three year old Mercedes’ will be happy to get your 89 S-10, a wrecked crown Vic and a rusted out Nissan Sentra with 300K miles on it!

And yes, I miss the Trader too. I was fairly young when it faded away, but we still bought and sold quite a few things out of it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Late to the thread, as normal, but I don’t have an issue trading, sometimes. I have more guns than I need, so it’s not like I’m generally looking to trade this for that and have ended up with some neat guns from trades. I have often times made trades with ‘boot’ one way or another. I don’t see an issue with that. If you have a gun worth 500 and I have one worth 700, or vice versa, value is value if you both are happy with the trade. I never have understood the cash or trade price difference deal. If your gun is worth X amount it doesn’t matter if you get cash or an equal value trade.
    I also get a kick out of people only wanting to trade but the items are so vastly different. Like is seems more likely that you could trade a 7.62 AK for a 5.45 AK than to trade a Trapdoor Springfield for a SCAR heavy. Or the guys with like three crap quality guns who wants to trade them all for a very nice gun. Like I’m sure a guy driving a three year old Mercedes’ will be happy to get your 89 S-10, a wrecked crown Vic and a rusted out Nissan Sentra with 300K miles on it!

And yes, I miss the Trader too. I was fairly young when it faded away, but we still bought and sold quite a few things out of it.
    This, and items that have such a narrow market and they want to trade for something thats also in a narrow market.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Found it. All of them actually.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Exactly, I haven't had that happen since the days of the Trader paper, if you're old enough to remember that? In fairness I didn't check your profile too see if your age is listed.
    Ahhhh...The Trader. Pre interwebs. I wonder how we even got along in those days. No P.C No phones No internet No pager. If there not home ya just gotta try again later.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Thank you!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    20 years ago I was selling a bunch of tools I had built on eBay and a friend emailed me a picture of another vendor on eBay selling a flower vase. The picture was of the vase on a dinning room table and you could see the reflection of the poster in the vase. He also was a short chubby white guy with my color hair, and he was neggid. I heard about it for a couple of years.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Thanks. After reading that I'm almost sorry I ask. 10 minutes I can't get back.

Top Bottom