• indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I guess I just don't see what the big hubbub is about
    The moon will be at a point in its orbit that’s comparatively close to Earth in April, making the moon appear particularly large. As a result, for anyone fortunate enough to make it to the path of totality — where the moon completely blocks out the sun’s disk — it will be an especially dark eclipse that will last for nearly 4½ minutes. That’s almost two minutes longer than the Great American Eclipse of 2017
    What’s more, the sun will be close to solar maximum in 2024. That’s the peak of its roughly 11-year activity cycle. As a result, lots of bright, petal-like streamers of plasma will extend from the solar corona
    “There’s nearly 32 million people [who will be] inside the path [of totality],” says cartographer Michael Zeiler. That’s about 2½ times as many as during the 2017 eclipse

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IYKYK.
    And when you stare into that black disc during the total, I guarantee you've never seen anything that black in your life*. To the point it is kinda creepy and might make you a tad uncomfortable. Its unnerving.

I am really looking forward to it. I almost traveled to Texas for a better shot of good weather, but decided to stick around this time. The whole fam has seen it, so we arent really out anything if we miss this one due to clouds.

And there are people so into it they actually will travel all over the world to see them. I kinda understand, but I dont think its THAT cool.

*your ex wife's heart not withstanding.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Total eclipse is a singular experience. Even 99% is not the same. It's eerie. Having seen lots of partials and an annular, but only 1 total, it's really worth it.

Don't bother taking pictures - just watch and enjoy. Go ahead and use optics for totality - as long as you are in totality you can use unfiltered binoculars, scopes, whatever. Once the slightest sunlight appears, back on go the filters.
    We were surprised how much of the sun had to be covered before a noticeable difference in daylight there was.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Any suggestions on places to go within the path and have a lunch before hand and then watch the show that would be more chill and not packed with people? Thinking of driving down from NWI with the wife to take it in.
    For the last one we looked up a town with a McDonalds in it that was away from the interstate and the bigger towns. Our original plan was to get there to eat lunch and then watch it from the parking lot. We had lawn chairs to sit in the back of the truck. I forget the name of the town now but it was a nice setup they had in their park. No big crowds. They even had a free shuttle service from a church parking lot to the park. It was a nice day.

You might find something similar in this year’s path.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    IYKYK.
    And when you stare into that black disc during the total, I guarantee you've never seen anything that black in your life*. To the point it is kinda creepy and might make you a tad uncomfortable. Its unnerving.

I am really looking forward to it. I almost traveled to Texas for a better shot of good weather, but decided to stick around this time. The whole fam has seen it, so we arent really out anything if we miss this one due to clouds.

And there are people so into it they actually will travel all over the world to see them. I kinda understand, but I dont think its THAT cool.

Even if it’s a day like today at least when it gets to totality you’ll know it. ;)

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    IYKYK.

I haven't seen anything like it since I flew my LearJet to Nova Scotia.
    I wore an apricot scarf. And a hat. Danced a bit.
    It was fun.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    IYKYK.

Oh trust me, I see all the pandemonium about it, but frankly could care less.

@Cameramonkey have you bought your commemorative t shirt yet?

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    We'll get over 4 min of totality from our house. We're having a couple of friends considering driving down from out of town. Bought a few pairs of the "eclipse glasses", but that's about it. I haven't really heard about anything going on locally; I expected it to be a bigger deal. It would be nice to host an event / eclipse party but it's a Monday afternoon. :(

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Soooo
    I spent a dollar or two. I was close to Nova Scotia when my horse naturally won. But just experienced a partial.

This time, I purchased enough Celestron camera filters and glasses for the family .
    As well as a 10x solar binocular set (can't take off the filters)

I'm hoping for an experience that is really nice. Purchased directly from their website, through Amazon.
    Halley's Comet was kind of disappointing. Hale-Bopp was a big fuzzy blob that was interesting when viewed offshore with little light pollution.

But I've been in the "spooky" partial eclipses. Several.

Looking forward to a total.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have described it as my frontal lobe was fascinated and my lizard brain was screaming in terror.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    IYKYK.

I'll be sitting here at 99.99 totality...I want to see how the animals act......

1710463021677.png

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I watched the last one through a welding helmet.
    My wife already has the commemorative shirt and we got the glasses a while back. I'm off work. We have a really good refractor telescope with a sun filter, and a portable reflector telescope. We look at the stars more than most people.
    We have trees in our neighborhood and it hinders a lot of our views. I think we'll be ok watching it on the deck.
    We went to a local parking lot a few times, but that was at night, not during business hours.

Top Bottom