• Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Saw the 2017 Total eclipse.
    Everything looked normal as long as the slightest sliver of sun was shining.
    Once the eclipse went total it looked like twilight.
    A unique experience.
    Yes, a very unique experience. I had the opportunity to travel to a friend's home in Kentucky with my grandkids.

I was lucky and got some good shots through my telescope. Everything had to be setup correctly as there was no time for a second shot.

I had my telescope setup with my solar filter and had to use it until the last sliver of sun.

1692404242332.png

As soon as totality hit, I had to quickly remove the solar filter to take a photo of the total eclipse.

1692404309231.png

It was really nice knowing that my grandkids got to see this, and hopefully, will be able to again in the near future.

Ron

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The minute they announced the last one I made my reservation using hotel points. Like, Heard it on the morning drive news, looked it up, and had my reservation in the perfect spot by noon. Glad I did. Rack rate was triple by the time it got popular 6 months before because it was smack dab in the middle of the totality. (Franklin, TN exit right off 65)

The coolest part was looking at the shadows. the light shining through the tree by us made little fingernails of light instead of the normal pinpoints of light you normally see. The holes through the leaves worked like mini camera lenses.

Thought about heading to Texas to avoid the clouds. But given I've already seen one, I'm going to pray for clear skies here that day.

And it taught me another valuable lesson. Dont rely on your cell during a crush of people. We stopped in Elizabethtown for lunch on the way down. Lots of restaurants at that exit, but apparently only one cell tower. The place was PACKED. EVERY restaurant lot was full, and drive throughs were all around the buildings. Couldnt call or iMessage each other after we separated. It wasnt until we got 5+ miles down the road that our messages went through. So note to self, bring 2 way radios when you HAVE to communicate.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The minute they announced the last one I made my reservation using hotel points. Like, Heard it on the morning drive news, looked it up, and had my reservation in the perfect spot by noon. Glad I did. Rack rate was triple by the time it got popular 6 months before because it was smack dab in the middle of the totality. (Franklin, TN exit right off 65)

The coolest part was looking at the shadows. the light shining through the tree by us made little fingernails of light instead of the normal pinpoints of light you normally see. The holes through the leaves worked like mini camera lenses.

Thought about heading to Texas to avoid the clouds. But given I've already seen one, I'm going to pray for clear skies here that day.

And it taught me another valuable lesson. Dont rely on your cell during a crush of people. We stopped in Elizabethtown for lunch on the way down. Lots of restaurants at that exit, but apparently only one cell tower. The place was PACKED. EVERY restaurant lot was full, and drive throughs were all around the buildings. Couldnt call or iMessage each other after we separated. It wasnt until we got 5+ miles down the road that our messages went through. So note to self, bring 2 way radios when you HAVE to communicate.
    We winged it. ;) I don’t remember the name of the town now but I looked up the path and headed towards a town that was under the totality and off the beaten path. It was great. They had a park set up with vendors and town folks hanging out to watch. They had a church bus set up to take people from the church parking lot to the park, etc. We avoided the crush of people and got to enjoy the event.

Even if it’s cloudy next time at least we’ll be able to ”see” it go dark.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    We winged it. ;) I don’t remember the name of the town now but I looked up the path and headed towards a town that was under the totality and off the beaten path. It was great. They had a park set up with vendors and town folks hanging out to watch. They had a church bus set up to take people from the church parking lot to the park, etc. We avoided the crush of people and got to enjoy the event.

Even if it’s cloudy next time at least we’ll be able to ”see” it go dark.
    I did that as well, small town about an hour south in Kentucky. Evansville is in the totality path with full eclipse for 2min 59 sec. Vincennes is 45 minutes north but will have 4 min 05 sec. Tempted to drive north but figure the extra minute isn't worth it. I'll probably just walk the three blocks from my office to the riverfront.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Traveled down a little past Evansville to be in the path of totality for the last one. Breathtaking.

Highly recommend a pair of the cheap eclipse glasses or the appropriate welding glass.

I hope it’s a good, clear April day next year. April can be kind of iffy.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    When we saw the last one, the wife and I had these binocs and they were really pretty nice: solar eclipse binoculars

We could clearly see features disappear and then reappear as the eclipse waxed and waned. I just hope we can find where we put them for this next one!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I did that as well, small town about an hour south in Kentucky. Evansville is in the totality path with full eclipse for 2min 59 sec. Vincennes is 45 minutes north but will have 4 min 05 sec. Tempted to drive north but figure the extra minute isn't worth it. I'll probably just walk the three blocks from my office to the riverfront.
    I'll be in Vincennes. I went to hopkinsville area for the last one and I would have went further for another minute. It was awesome and I believe the last totality in this area in our lifetimes.

Top Bottom