Tired of people using "prepper" and "survivalist" as though they were slights...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    With the recent Alabama hostage incident I have seen a lot of people throwing around words like "prepper" and "survivalist" as though anyone who dares to make themselves ready for anything is some kind of redneck member of the lunatic fringe. It pisses me off to say the least. Mainly because some of these people are the same ones helping us fight for our 2A rights or whom are respectable people otherwise.

I blame denial, ignorance, and as usual... media misrepresentation.

Without Rule of Law. A scary concept. No matter the reason why, be it terrorist attacks on the power infrastructure, economic collapse, or government actions against the populace; it would be wise for any family to be aware of the dangers and have a plan.

Being prepared for such an event can be equally useful in the event of a natural disaster or something far more common than societal upheaval.

Maintaining a stock of supplies, pre-planning travel routes, going over with your family the actions to take and practicing so that they can be executed under stressful circumstances is not crazy talk.

Neither is being well armed and knowing how to use your armament to maximum effectiveness. In any large scale event the threat of rioting, looters, escaped prisoners, or just plain old opportunistic thugs is very real. You may well find yourself and your family targeted by those who would do you harm for your supplies, shelter, or because it seemed like fun.

Do not feel like being prepared makes you a loon. Unless you live in a bunker, stockpile enough guns to arm a revolution, and put out a newsletter raving on about every conspiracy theory and how it's time to rise up against the government -- then thinking critically and being ready is probably one of the smartest choices you can make. Even for those people that lean more towards the fringe; they are not crazy. They are simply enthusiastic towards not being victims - hell maybe its even their hobby.

The ones that are crazy are the people that put their heads in the sand and pretend the authorities will keep everyone safe and that life will always be monday night football, starbucks, and tweeting about the latest episode of american idol. Oh, and sick bastards that nab 5-year-olds as hostages.

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    New proposed Laws coming from this incident:

School Bus Protection Act: No Guns allowed on School Buses (probably already on the books, but it helps make it more illegal-er)

Bunker Buster Building Act: Special Permit required for building underground bunkers. (We wont prevent you from having a bunker, but we'll make sure we can get in if we want, and meanwhile, you get to pay an extra 10k in taxes...)

Grocery Anti-hoarder Prevention Act: Now limited to $50 in groceries per trip. Special exception made for stores like walmart where they sell more than just groceries. In those cases, you can spend $55. Limited to 2 of the same item per trip to the store. Grocery carts will now require NICS background check. Hand baskets will be federally mandated to have a volume of 1 cubic ft and prevent the problems caused by high capacity baskets.

Bunker Protection Act: All bunkers will be mandated with a sleeping gas switch accessible only from the outside. This of course can only be used by law enforcement and can not be abused in any way by criminals...

Bunker Weapons Exclusion Act: It will now be illegal to have weapons in an underground location. This legislation will be written in such a way that it unintentionally also includes basements, root cellars, underground garages.

Stockpile Limit Act: If you intend on storing more than 2 weeks of food/supplies at home, you will need to inform the local FEMA office/National Guard Armory/CLEO/FDA so that they can inspect your storage location for illegal bunker attachments and for proper storage conditions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

School Bus Protection Act: No Guns allowed on School Buses (probably already on the books, but it helps make it more illegal-er)

Bunker Buster Building Act: Special Permit required for building underground bunkers. (We wont prevent you from having a bunker, but we'll make sure we can get in if we want, and meanwhile, you get to pay an extra 10k in taxes...)

Grocery Anti-hoarder Prevention Act: Now limited to $50 in groceries per trip. Special exception made for stores like walmart where they sell more than just groceries. In those cases, you can spend $55. Limited to 2 of the same item per trip to the store. Grocery carts will now require NICS background check. Hand baskets will be federally mandated to have a volume of 1 cubic ft and prevent the problems caused by high capacity baskets.

Bunker Protection Act: All bunkers will be mandated with a sleeping gas switch accessible only from the outside. This of course can only be used by law enforcement and can not be abused in any way by criminals...

Bunker Weapons Exclusion Act: It will now be illegal to have weapons in an underground location. This legislation will be written in such a way that it unintentionally also includes basements, root cellars, underground garages.

Stockpile Limit Act: If you intend on storing more than 2 weeks of food/supplies at home, you will need to inform the local FEMA office/National Guard Armory/CLEO/FDA so that they can inspect your storage location for illegal bunker attachments and for proper storage conditions.

I would hope that you are kidding????

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    We are being legislated into felons by proxy via mass media portraying itself as popular opinion. And the sheep go bahhh.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville

Wow you had me going for just a second... Lol. Thank God you arent some douche-lib politard from CA.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The nuts will be the end of us.

The nuts aren't the ones broadcasting this stuff. I walked by a TV with Fox News this morning and the host of the morning show (don't know his name) asked if building a "bunker is even legal?" :n00b:

The predictions of the future (above) may not be that far off.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    well......I guess we will just have to stay in hiding and keep what we have secret....oh wait.

We are nuts anyway because we own guns and we plan on keeping our family and loved ones safe during an emergency!

fangz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    North Side

Don't forget to make it illegal to raise chickens without a permit, tax stamp, and federal inspection.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Bunker Chicken Protection Act: It will be illegal to raise 3 or more chickens underground. Those that are, must be available to inspection by FDA. And they must be fed only on steak that is from a cow that is grass-fed only. Having chickens in your bunker will require you to purchase a carbon footprint offset. These can be easily purchased by installing a utility company smart meter on your bunker.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    [FONT=Verdana said:
    The ones that are crazy are the people that put their heads in the sand and pretend the authorities will keep everyone safe and that life will always be monday night football, starbucks, and tweeting about the latest episode of american idol. Oh, and sick bastards that nab 5-year-olds as hostages. [/FONT]

The government WANTS the people to NEED them. They will never promote being "prepared". They will make every attempt to make people who have different opinions then they do look like crazy extremist.
    They see people that "THINK" as a threat. They can not control people that do not need their help and this scares them!! They can not buy votes and loyalty from people who have no need of them.

What I find to be extremely crazy is the number of people who believe everything the media says and that all people in authority are telling them the truth. We have a great number of people in this country standing in line waiting to drink the kool-aid.

Just my :twocents:, of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The government WANTS the people to NEED them. They will never promote being "prepared". They will make every attempt to make people who have different opinions then they do look like crazy extremist.
    They see people that "THINK" as a threat. They can not control people that do not need their help and this scares them!! They can not buy votes and loyalty from people who have no need of them.

What I find to be extremely crazy is the number of people who believe everything the media says and that all people in authority are telling them the truth. We have a great number of people in this country standing in line waiting to drink the kool-aid.

Just my :twocents:, of course.

I can remember when big brother preached being prepared. We had air raid drills in the schools. We also pledged aliegence to the flag every morning and prayer was still in the schools. At least mine.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    I can remember when big brother preached being prepared. We had air raid drills in the schools. We also pledged aliegence to the flag every morning and prayer was still in the schools. At least mine.

Ya, I think that is when they were "Big Brother" not "Control Hungry Masters" and the big fear was being taken over by another country not an uprising of their own people. Back when this country had some morals. Don't get me wrong. I still think this is the best place in the world to live, and I am thankful for all the men and women who serve to protect us everyday.

All I know is that I have a single goal, and I work everyday toward that goal. ;) I'm not trying to change the world, I am just trying to not let the world change me!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The nuts will be the end of us.

Well, we have a demographic problem. As the population increases, the percentage of nutjobs stays about the same, but the absolute number of nutjobs increases. Eventually one will be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Results: lots of bad publicity, people dying, everything goes boom, or some combination thereof.

tenniskid004

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    If my great grand parents were alive today, they'd be considered preppers because they had a giant garden and canned all summer long to have enough food to last them through the winter.
    Today, prepper is a bad word for a redneck with little to no education.

It's such a fine line though, what about people who have insurance? Isn't that a form of prepping? I am proud to say I am a prepper (although I won't go around telling people what I have ;)

My great grandfather always said that the best form of insurance you can EVER have is land and water. At the end of the day, you cannot rely on insurance policies to come through or police to show up, or the government to help (which is sort of a joke, they will be the one killing us). You must always be able to rely on yourself.

Top Bottom