Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    As promised, I posted some pictures of my Timney Trigger in my M44. Crappy cell phone pictures, I know...

Anyway, I have good news, bad news, and better news....

The good news:
    As far as basic install into the action though, it is SUPER EASY.

OF COURSE, BEFORE YOU START, MAKE SURE THE GUN IS MADE CLEAR AND SAFE!

1. Remove the sear spring screw from the receiver. Keep the screw, you'll need it.
    2. Punch out the trigger retaining pin, keep it as well.
    3. Line up the Timney trigger on bottom if receiver, screw on loosely with the sear spring screw.
    4. Line up the pin hole in the Timney trigger with the trigger retaining pin recess, slide in the pin.
    5. Now, fully tighten the sear spring screw. You're done.

DOUBLE CHECK THE WEAPON IS CLEAR AND SAFE AND PROCEDE TO FUNCTION CHECK! (if all is mechanically well, as it should be, you'll be very, very pleased. I am!)

The bad news:
    The stock WILL require inletting. I use the ATI stock which I have pillar bedded. I will have to relieve the left side of the stock for the Timney safety (Remington 700 style) and remove some material around the trigger housing inlet on the stock. If you have the RSI aluminum pillars (as I do), you unfortunately will have to remove some of the rear pillar as well. I will post up on my progress. I didn't get around to it this past weekend... (practiced for and shot in a USPSA qualifier in Atlanta, IN (which is a worthy excuse))

The better news:
    The trigger does fit great in the action and the trigger pull is AMAZING *compared to stock*. It's a nice, clean, crisp *apprx* 3lb pull, I have not weighed it... It is, however, leaps and bounds better than stock. Needless to say, I can't wait to get the gun back on range.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    If you dont mind my asking what would you say is your total cost of this build up?
    Also is it an MOA shooter with the new trigger?

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Is there any need for the stock safety when you install that trigger? Maybe you could remove part of the stock safety for a more custom look too?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I think the stock safety is an integral part of the firing pin, if I remember correctly.

The knob that you pull for the stock safety slams forward when you fire the gun. You can also recock it without moving the bolt handle by pulling back on that safety knob.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If you dont mind my asking what would you say is your total cost of this build up?
    Also is it an MOA shooter with the new trigger?

Before stock trigger the gun was just shy of 1 MOA accuracy. I posted a target I shot, (I think on page 4) on this thread. I have not been out to shoot since this install. As I posted above, I still have to relieve some parts of the stock to accomidate the new trigger.

As far as money invested, It's pretty embarassing. I catch a lot of flack from people; "Why spend that kind of money on a Mosin Nagant?"

The answer: Because I want to. Who cares???

I prob have around $400-$500 and countless hours invested. I don't keep track. I built (and continue to build) and shoot this gun to have fun. It was my first gun I ever owned and she's a shooter. So why not make her shoot even better?

Is there any need for the stock safety when you install that trigger? Maybe you could remove part of the stock safety for a more custom look too?

Not a concern of mine... I've seen people machine off the actual knob and just leave a little stub, but I don't really care at this point.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    picture.php

100 yard, 3 shot group, Winchester 180Grain FMJ 7.62x54R with my Mosin M44 this morning, in the rain. The Red circle in the center of the target is 1" in diameter, FYI. I am more than pleased with the M44's performance. More to come on a later date...:rockwoot:

The 3 other holes that are not circled are 5.56mm. My Brother in Law Daniel was using the same target... I had another shot group to the left but it had a flyer, so I threw it out.

Next time I go out, I'll have to paste up new targets every time so I can keep better track of my shots...

I posted this a week ago...

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    As far as money invested, It's pretty embarassing. I catch a lot of flack from people; "Why spend that kind of money on a Mosin Nagant?"

The answer: Because I want to. Who cares???

I prob have around $400-$500 and countless hours invested. I don't keep track. I built (and continue to build) and shoot this gun to have fun. It was my first gun I ever owned and she's a shooter. So why not make her shoot even better?

$400-$500 on a gun for Sh^#s and giggles or to have a project with noted results is not bad cause we all have spent that kind of money on worse things. I was just asking cause if you were to do it to try and get a cheap, accurate long range shooter, there are better options out there. If you are doing it just because you want to, more power to you. Just don’t want everyone thinking it is the most cost effective way to get a distance shooter or that it is a build for them. With that being said your rifle sure does have the cool factor and you did a great job on it.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Yeah, it's definitely just a fun gun. I have basically just tweaked around with it for shoots and giggles. It gets a lot of attention when I have it at public ranges. I will say this though, had the gun not shot so well when it was in original form, and the bore not been as clean as it was, I would have just left it alone.

For me, it's kind of that "building a hot rod out of a ford pinto" appeal. Sure you have a 11 second car, and the tires are more expensive than the car itself, but it's a Pinto, and runs 11's!

With that being said your rifle sure does have the cool factor and you did a great job on it.
    Thank you for the compliments!

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Have my Timney trigger installed, 100%. I had to remove A LOT of material from the ATI stock (which is not the most fun task in the world). Needless to say, The dremel and I got pretty busy yesterday. It's not pretty in there, but it works and the trigger fits...

No pictures right now. Sorry guys and gals...

I will say this though; It is nice to have an actual safety on the Mosin now. I really dig the Timney trigger.

Pictures and hopefully a range report to come

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Have my Timney trigger installed, 100%. I had to remove A LOT of material from the ATI stock (which is not the most fun task in the world). Needless to say, The dremel and I got pretty busy yesterday. It's not pretty in there, but it works and the trigger fits...

No pictures right now. Sorry guys and gals...

I will say this though; It is nice to have an actual safety on the Mosin now. I really dig the Timney trigger.

Pictures and hopefully a range report to come

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Sub MOA Group today! 3/19/11

Timney Trigger is installed! Today is Test day!!!

picture.php

UPDATE 3/19/11
    Went to South Central Gun Club today. I got to test out the newly installed Timney Trigger in the M44. I shot a sub MOA 3 shot group. Accuracy has been achieved!!! Today's result was the goal I've been working toward on this build.

picture.php

picture.php

3/19/2011 South Central Gun Club, Freetown, IN
    Sub MOA 3 shot group @ 100 yards
    7.62x54R Winchester 180gr FMJ
    Custom Mosin Nagant M44

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Do you reckon it'd be alright to keep my original stock and just inlet it for the handle and bed it and everything, without giving up any potential accuracy? I'd like to refinish it, cause it's in great shape.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    i think that would be just fine. I just went a different direction with my build, hence my use of the ATI stock

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Thread revival! I have to know, how did you do that camo pattern on your m44? I'd like to camo mine similar to that, but am afraid to mess if up right off the bat.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    how did you do that camo pattern on your m44?

This was a good couple of years ago... I will do my best to recall the process.

First everything was torn down, cleaned THOROUGHLY, degreased, lightly sanded then wiped down with a tac cloth. I taped off areas of the scope, the muzzle, and the action. I taped off the any areas of the magazine that might get paint inside them, and hanged everything from fishing line in the garage. I then sprayed all the components with a base coat of matte Krylon Camo OD Green. After that hardened and dried, it was a light scuffing on all the components again, and a quick wipe down to clear the dust. This was just so the next coat would adhere. I used the same Krylon Camo paints in FDE, Black, and ODG. One at a time, I would layer leaves, sticks, etc over the stock, spraying a light coat of each different color. Allowing every layer to dry before the next was layed down. Between color changes and adding the next layers, I would flip the components and paint the opposite sides. I took a week to spray everything. After all was said and done, I just used a Krylon matte clear. It's not powder coat, nor duracoat, it is rattle can. But I took my time, and gave it my best effort. The finish has held up since I sprayed it in (I think) 2008.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I'm interested in the Timney as well. I did the ATI Monte Carlo stock and ATI bent bolt with scope mount kit. Just took a drill press, hacksaw, and a file. The ATI hardware is garbage. I tried the stock screws for the scope mount and it wiggled after I stripped the screw heads. Luckily, I had the same thread on better screws in the garage with matching lock washers. With the factory scope from a Remington 770 (3-9x40) I was able to shoot groups the size of my fist from a UTG bipod at 100 yards. The trigger is still very heavy and creepy. I hope to smooth and shim it to lighten the pull next. If I can drop a couple pounds on the trigger I'm confident it will shoot 2 MOA. With a more skilled marksman behind it, maybe better.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm interested in the Timney as well.

If you can personally justify the cost of the Timney for a $90 gun, it IS well worth it.

I did the ATI Monte Carlo stock and ATI bent bolt with scope mount kit.

I still rock my ATI stock and scope mount. I have since ditched the ATI bent bolt though for a Rock Solid Bolt Body. It has a much heavier, longer handle, allows for much more torque when locking and unlocking the action, and the added length keeps my knuckles scrape free from the lower rear corner of my scope ring...

The ATI hardware is garbage.

I used my own hardware for the scope mount. However, my set screw for the ATI bolt handle kept coming loose, so I added a second screw, it still came loose, so then I had the handle welded, still didn't like it, and then I ditched it. The ATI handle is ok, but the Rock Solid is way better. :twocents:

With the factory scope from a Remington 770 (3-9x40) I was able to shoot groups the size of my fist from a UTG bipod at 100 yards.

This is a good start. I can tell you this. I own way better guns than my Mosin M44. My friends own way better guns than my Mosin. BUT, my Mosin is still a huge favorite of mine and my friends' while on range. The bang for the buck, the fireballs, plus the reliability and accuracy of my Mosin, for what it is, can not be beat! It's cheap, it's ugly, and it's ridiculous, but it can shoot.

The trigger is still very heavy and creepy. I hope to smooth and shim it to lighten the pull next. If I can drop a couple pounds on the trigger I'm confident it will shoot 2 MOA. With a more skilled marksman behind it, maybe better.

Shimming the trigger is easy and effective. Also look into doing a polishing job. Just be careful and do your homework. A little patience and some research will be your friend on this one. I rocked a shimmed, polished trigger for years before I went the Timney route. I will never go back, don't get me wrong, but for basically free mods, you can't go wrong. Just be very careful when polishing to not take too much material off, AND be careful adding shims, shim too much and you can create a danger of lightening the trigger too much, resulting in a "hair trigger" and you could become subject to discharges when jolting or dropping the rifle. The best advice I can give for both is go a little bit at a time, take your time! Always check you work.

picture.php

Last edited:
    Top Bottom