• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    This is my first time knowing about chiggers lol I’m sure I’ve been bit before but this year is BAD. Been scouting a lot for youth deer and I’m tore up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This is my first time knowing about chiggers lol I’m sure I’ve been bit before but this year is BAD. Been scouting a lot for youth deer and I’m tore up.

You may have seed/turkey tick bites. Like chiggers only worse.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Chiggers have been bad the past few weeks. Thankfully, mine haven't itched at all. Can't say the same for the wife and kids...I need to buy stock in Cortisone10!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You may have seed/turkey tick bites. Like chiggers only worse.

Are those the tiny red ones? These bites just appear you don’t feel them happen….. then you get a big red spot…. Itch the cr@p out of it….. then it seems to get a small infection that scabs…. Itch some more until 7+ days if goes away.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Are those the tiny red ones? These bites just appear you don’t feel them happen….. then you get a big red spot…. Itch the cr@p out of it….. then it seems to get a small infection that scabs…. Itch some more until 7+ days if goes away.

That sounds exactly like seed/turkey ticks. They are very small and are really juvenile lone star ticks. Hard to see and you can't feel them. When they start hatching out early August they stay together for a while and this is when they are most troublesome, you can get 100s of bites. As time goes by they spread out and you get fewer bites at once but they are everywhere.

The gardener got into a group of them some years back and was miserable.

seedtickbites.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That sounds exactly like seed/turkey ticks. They are very small and are really juvenile lone star ticks. Hard to see and you can't feel them. When they start hatching out early August they stay together for a while and this is when they are most troublesome, you can get 100s of bites. As time goes by they spread out and you get fewer bites at once but they are everywhere.

The gardener got into a group of them some years back and was miserable.

View attachment 300545

Mine are like one bite here one bite there. No patches of bites at all

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last weekend, I messed up. Went down to southern Indiana and was burning a pile of old logs that have been rotting for two years. When I was done I noticed the freckles on my legs were moving. :faint:

After standing in the gravel driveway buttnaked for a hour and using a entire roll of ductape I got most of them. burned the tape afterwards.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Permethrin keeps them off of me, It's one of those "must have" chemicals to live in the woods.
    I can't remember the name, but there is a company that makes a clothing line where they bond permethrin with the cloth. They say it lasts for at least 70 wash cycles before they're like any other piece of clothing.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    My Mom combs the beagles after they come in from 1/2 hour running in her pine patch. Today, the baby food jar was full so I counted out 158 ticks so far this year. Yes, we get them all winter too. Fold them in scotch tape and pop them as a final gesture. Only 2 more months to go for another total.

Top Bottom