• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I had one back in February that was almost completely buried in my side ( just the back legs were showing )
    Had quite a large bump for almost a month after removed and there is still a scab today .....

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I am in N. Central and we keep a tick jar at my Mom's that has about 30 ticks in it that my beagles get in her 4 acres of pines. That is just this year. Last year was 150 total. My dogs take internal pills so when they come in the house, we have to pick ticks, usually off their heads as the ticks try to get away from their skin smell.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My first time this year. It is a Saturday picture. By Sunday, it was dime sized and quarter sized by Monday. Dr said don’t worry, no Lyme disease so far. He zee packed me and said watch it. Did not know I had such chicken skin.
    How long do you think that bugger was attached??!!??

In the years we've been going out into the woods, I've never had a reaction to that degree. Red spot and a bump sure, but what you've got there takes the prize!

We do a thorough check after every time being out beyond the cabin. We first noticed them this year the last week of March. Since then it's been one, two, or more after being out. After I spent the afternoon morel hunting last weekend, I took my shirts off and found 5. Four were on my clothing and only one was attached at that point. We have a regimen of spraying head to foot before going out and usually come back tick free. I used up the last can of spray the other day before I got to my head, so that's why I was carrying when I got back.

Pro tip: a drop of Peppermint oil makes them release in a hurry, they don't like it one bit!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Permethrin keeps them off of me, It's one of those "must have" chemicals to live in the woods.
    I use the Martin's permethrin to soak my clothes. A lot less expensive (and easier) than spraying them every six weeks. Read the cautions if you have cats.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    And toxic to cats if anyone has them. I didnt realize that until I was researching how to repel spiders from my siding and eaves because Im tired of the spots they leave behind.
    I recall that it is toxic to cats only while being applied and drying. Once dry it is safe(?). Do your own research if you have cats.

I think it affects the cats neuro system and makes them crazy, like anyone could tell the level of craziness before or after. Kind of like hot body redheads.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I went walking through a new property two weeks ago in st joe county. My girlfriend started complaining once we got 10 feet off the gravel trail so she went back to the car while I checked it out. Then we went to the grocery store. I was looking down and found 4 on my pants. Flicked them off. She of course freaked out. And made me check her in the store. I haven’t got one yet on my property this year but I’m sure the dog and I will soon enough. I swear I’ve noticed a huge jump in tick numbers. I use to run barefoot in shorts and a t shirt through the woods and never got a tick. Now I find them on me after trimming bushes in front of my house 150 yards from the woodsline.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    How long do you think that bugger was attached??!!??

In the years we've been going out into the woods, I've never had a reaction to that degree. Red spot and a bump sure, but what you've got there takes the prize!

We do a thorough check after every time being out beyond the cabin. We first noticed them this year the last week of March. Since then it's been one, two, or more after being out. After I spent the afternoon morel hunting last weekend, I took my shirts off and found 5. Four were on my clothing and only one was attached at that point. We have a regimen of spraying head to foot before going out and usually come back tick free. I used up the last can of spray the other day before I got to my head, so that's why I was carrying when I got back.

Pro tip: a drop of Peppermint oil makes them release in a hurry, they don't like it one bit!
    That picture was the tick. Those little beggars burrow straight in. I think he was going for the jugular. I'll remember the oil tip. Thanx

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I’m camping at Brown County SP this week. Yesterday morning I took the English setter for a short trail walk and just now (the next day at 3pm) I found one dug into my shoulder and my wife found two more. One on my lower back and one on my leg.

I’m 56 years old and I can only remember picking two off me that had latched on in those years and only a very small number of them crawling on me. I could walk through the same woods as three other people who would emerge with multiple ticks on them and I would be clean. They seem to be particularly bad this year. I guess I need to lay into a stockpile of DEET and Permethrin.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As warm as the winter was, Expect them to try to carry your dog off there will be so many.

Since we didnt have a long hard deep freeze to kill a lot of them, a lot more survived the winter. Expect bad skeeters too.

Top Bottom