• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm considering a Walther PPS for concealed carry. Anyone here have experience with one? It's down to that or a Glock 19 or 26. Mainly planning on IWB, OWB.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The PPS is definitely a lot slimmer. The price tag, on the other hand, is considerably larger. I've handled one a couple of times, and I really didn't particularly like the feel of the trigger. As I advised to someone else a while ago, you might want to look into Kahrs. They're just barely bigger, and the trigger is much smoother.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a T&E in .40 sitting on my desk. When I opened the box I really didn't want to like it. Then I shot it.

I really like the way this pistol shoots and concealability is a no brainer. That said the trigger leaves a bit to be desired, mainly in the reset department. It is gritty, soft and mine has had to be manually pulled into the forward or reset position on a few occasions.

We fired approximately 600 rounds through it without a hiccup but I've had a handful of failures with it this past week. The last round in the mag has decided that it doesn't always want to go into the chamber. This may be caused by a lack of cleaning. I've cleaned it once and it's pretty dirty again now.

I'm on the fence about buying it. I can get it for a steal but I'm waiting to see if Walther can clean up the trigger issue, or at least make sure it will reset consistently, before I do.

All things considered it's got a lot of potential and is appealing. The mag release takes some getting used to but considering I leave the house with only a J frame pretty often, the PPS would still offer a quicker reload even if I have to fumble with it for a second.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks. In doing some other research, there does seem to be some mixed feedback on the PPS. We'll see.

Kahrs are also on my short list. Basically looking for something extremely reliable in 9mm or .45 that conceals well. Am I the only one whose "short list" keeps growing? So many guns to choose from -- not enough $ to buy them all...

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you want a 9mm, you might also want to look into a Sig 239. The slide is considerably wider, but the grips are slim with a single stack mag, and they're fairly easy to conceal.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I really like my Glock 26. I have no problem conceal carrying it both OWB and in a pocket holster (yes I do have some pants and shorts with that big of pockets :D), but to be honest with you my main conceal carry gun is my Kimber Tactical Ultra II. Carry mainly in a Milt Sparks #1 Heritage IWB holster. Its a .45, but if you want a 9mm Kimber also has models in the caliber.

And because I like showing it off here is a pic :D

Kimber_Badge_011-1.jpg

My apologies to those who are getting tired of seeing it.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I really like my Glock 26. I have no problem conceal carrying it both OWB and in a pocket holster (yes I do have some pants and shorts with that big of pockets :D), but to be honest with you my main conceal carry gun is my Kimber Tactical Ultra II. Carry mainly in a Milt Sparks #1 Heritage IWB holster. Its a .45, but if you want a 9mm Kimber also has models in the caliber.

And because I like showing it off here is a pic :D

Kimber_Badge_011-1.jpg

My apologies to those who are getting tired of seeing it.
    sure is purdy

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    as for the OP's question, the only Walthers i've had any experience with at all are the P38 (WW2 9mm) and P22. fine shooters, but pain in the rear to break down and put back together, especially put back together. makes cleaning a real chore. :twocents:

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    Very nice. Well, it doesn't have to be 9MM. I have an XD45 that I really like and am not against another .45 -- I just don't want to introduce any other calibers right now (like a .40). I currently have a .38, a 9MM, a .45, a .45LC and some .22's. I am probably going to sell the .45LC (Ruger Vaquero) sometime soon and wanted to get something more concealable in a caliber that I already own.

So may options...

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    as for the OP's question, the only Walthers i've had any experience with at all are the P38 (WW2 9mm) and P22. fine shooters, but pain in the rear to break down and put back together, especially put back together. makes cleaning a real chore. :twocents:

Ok, let me try this quoting thing again... I'm still a newbie here.

I appreciate the feedback. I probably need to just visit more shops in the Indy area and get some fresh ideas. Lots of good guns out there.

Nate6512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Fishers
    If you want a 9mm, you might also want to look into a Sig 239. The slide is considerably wider, but the grips are slim with a single stack mag, and they're fairly easy to conceal.

Any recommendations on a dealer in the Indy area that would have one of these in-stock that I can see? I'd like to find a few more places to shop with a decent selection -- the places I've gone since the election have been pretty sparse. I guess that's the way it's going to be for a while.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I know plainfield shooting supply had one about a week ago when I was in there. I have yet to shoot a pps, but it's really high on my want list. I have a p99, and had a p22, both good pistols, the p22 just wasn't of walther quality in my opinion. The p99 is an amazing pistol, and I've been really itching to shoot the pps. I could replace my px4sc for a carry weapon. I know this doesn't help much, but I don't think you'd be disappointed by it.

Top Bottom