Thoughts on the lee classic turret press?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Ive been interested in reloading for sometime now, I have heard many good things about Lee progressive presses. I have also heard bad things. I have heard things such as the lee progressive press doesnt seat the bullet in the brass straight, the powder measure gives varying loads of powder with every round. Can anyone confirm any of this? Or are lee presses good quality and i shouldnt be afraid to purchase one? Thank you all for your input!

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I have one load everything I shoot on it- .45; .40; .357; 9mm; .223; 7.62; 30-06; 30-40. Are there better presses out there, sure - depending on how much you want to pay. I've loaded 1000s of rounds on mine with no significant problems that can't be attributed to user head space and timing errors. if you use the auto powder measure, start based on Lee your loading manual, but check the grains and adjust the size until its giving you want you want. For the price and versatility its done everything I needed. For the longer rifle rounds- just take out the auto index and keep it as a single stage.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Ive been interested in reloading for sometime now, I have heard many good things about Lee progressive presses. I have also heard bad things. I have heard things such as the lee progressive press doesnt seat the bullet in the brass straight, the powder measure gives varying loads of powder with every round. Can anyone confirm any of this? Or are lee presses good quality and i shouldnt be afraid to purchase one? Thank you all for your input!

Note the Lee turret press is "semi-auto" so to speak, not really progressive.

It's a good press and if you are just starting out, don't hesitate to get one. It will hold its value and if you ever want to upgrade, you'll get a good deal of your investment back by selling it in the classifieds.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Note the Lee turret press is "semi-auto" so to speak, not really progressive.

It's a good press and if you are just starting out, don't hesitate to get one. It will hold its value and if you ever want to upgrade, you'll get a good deal of your investment back by selling it in the classifieds.

Well stated. The only true progressive that LEE makes is the 1000. I have a lesser opinion of the 1000. its OK of you are only loading handgun ammo.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The Lee Loadmaster is progressive.

@church - If I could only own one press it would be the Lee Classic Turret. At ~$100 it is also a good deal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've got a Lee turret that I've used since '02. I've pumped out plenty of .40 and .45 on it and recently started .357. I've yet to have any issues that weren't my fault.

I don't know if its the "classic" or not, it was whatever they sold in a starter kit that came with the powder dispenser, balance beam scale, reloading manual, and some other odds and ends back then.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have had mine for almost 2 years now, and lost count on how many rounds of 223 its pumped out as well as 308. Very nice set-up for the money.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Thank you all very much for the input, you've really helped put my mind at ease with this whole thing. I had someone tell me never to buy a lee press because they were a waste of money. They suggested i buy a dilon press or an rcbs press. I didnt want to purchase one of those presses and spend all the extra money if i didnt have too. I read many reviews about the lee presses and nearly all of them were positive, i just wanted some real input from people i could actively communicate with as to the quality and functionality of the lee presses before i made any final decisions. Thank you again for everyones input!

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Have one, like it a lot. It's the press I recommend when folks ask me about reloading.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As far as the powder measures that are made to work with the Classic Turret press, stick with the Pro Auto Disk. The Auto Disk is not as consistent, especially when working with the smallest charges.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I have a Lee Turret Press that is at least 25 years old. The "classic" press is very similar. I've never had any issues in spite of generally never doing anything with it but load. They are so simple and all the parts are heavy-duty, what can go wrong?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Only things I ever had go wrong:
    - Bottom square spring on the small primer feed got weak, and when I tried to bend it, it snapped. Had to replace it with the spring from the large primer feed. Can't find any replacements.
    - Square washer on the auto advance shaft wore out (but they only cost 50 cents to replace).

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have been using one for a few months now with great looking ammo. I have loaded .45acp, .44 mag. .38 spec, and 9mm so far. I thought the primer feed looked a little cheap until I used it but it works fine.

Dave

Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    IMO the primer feed system leaves a lot to be desired. I always have the last two primers refuse to feed when the feed tube is getting empty.

Tater22LR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Columbus Area
    I refill the primer tray shortly after there are no more behind the clear plastic. Had the small spring break also. I have a rubber band affixed on it know. Works pretty good. Classic turret works well. Don't hesitate to buy.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Quality press. I've been using it for a little over a year now. Good bang for your buck so to speak. Don't hesitate to buy, especially if your just getting into reloading.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As far as the powder measures that are made to work with the Classic Turret press, stick with the Pro Auto Disk. The Auto Disk is not as consistent, especially when working with the smallest charges.

I have not used the Auto disk, but +1 to the Pro Auto Disk. Works great, is very consistent. Except it doesn't like Unique. That's OK, I don't either.

Top Bottom