• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have had my own concerns about striker (Glock ecosystem) carrying that mirror yours.

Part of my rationale for when I do carry one is that if it comes out, I won't be re-holstering it at all. If I draw, it is going to stay in my hand for the duration of whatever caused me to draw. Or at least, I won't be re-holstering it loaded.

Absent that, my plan would be to remove the holster (which has basically 100% coverage of the trigger area), then put the entire holster in the carry position. (Usually RH IWB.)
    This approach seems like it would put some pretty big limitations on the type of drills you could do during live fire training. Not to mention limiting the types of holsters you could use.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Walther and Canik have models that have a decocker. After charging you can either treat it as a normal striker fired pistol or you can use the decocker to put the striker in a double action length of pull and resistance type mode. Could use normal striker mode for range shooting but double action for carry. Not sure if they have a 10mm model if that is the top priority.
    did not know that!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This approach seems like it would put some pretty big limitations on the type of drills you could do during live fire training. Not to mention limiting the types of holsters you could use.
    Well, everything has tradeoffs, right? :)

Training should replicate realistic conditions, right? Holstering at my hip while loaded (when using striker fired) is not something that is realistic for me. I'm not LEO/military. Any scenario where I've drawn but need to reholster would realistically include a chance to either unload the weapon, or remove the holster.

And any striker fired pistol holster IMHO should include 95+% coverage of the trigger area.

YMMV, though. I don't begrudge anyone the carrying/training/gun ownership that suits them. :)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've never liked safeties on any of my guns, hammer or striker. However, there are a lot of striker fired guns that DO have manual safeties if that's an important peace of mind feature.

Also, if there is concern of the trigger getting pressed while holstering it might just mean gaining confidence in a specific holster and/or the grip on the pistol while reholstering :dunno:

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    I've never liked safeties on any of my guns, hammer or striker. However, there are a lot of striker fired guns that DO have manual safeties if that's an important peace of mind feature.

Also, if there is concern of the trigger getting pressed while holstering it might just mean gaining confidence in a specific holster and/or the grip on the pistol while reholstering :dunno:
    It is about having layers of safety.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It is about having layers of safety.
    I get that too, which is why I mentioned there are options with striker fired guns that do in fact have manual safeties. I don't personally like them, but I won't talk you out of one if you're more comfortable with it.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    I get that too, which is why I mentioned there are options with striker fired guns that do in fact have manual safeties. I don't personally like them, but I won't talk you out of one if you're more comfortable with it.
    My bad. I have been researching 1911's the last few days and purchased one today. I was thinking about a grip safety and a manual safety in combination like a 1911 which is not applicable here.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    My bad. I have been researching 1911's the last few days and purchased one today. I was thinking about a grip safety and a manual safety in combination like a 1911 which is not applicable here.
    There might be someone that makes one like that :dunno:

The XD has a grip safety, I'm sure it's possible to make one with both.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I started out on 1911's and was resistant to striker fired pistols for a long time. Every time I'd try them, I walked away unfulfilled. But then I broke down one day and bought a M&P. Now, many different striker fired pistols later and a substantial amount of rounds down range, I am good with them.

They do have what I call a "squirt gun" trigger, but I'm used to them. I'm even running factory triggers in my Shield and 2.0 Compact and have no plans to change them.

For me the long length of pull, 4+ lb trigger weight and the hinged trigger provide enough redundant safeties that all I need is for me to do my part.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I grew up on and carried revolvers for years, and still do, but have made the transition to striker-fired pistols as well!
    The have tried Beretta, Colt, H&K, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, etc., with various hammer vs striker trigger combinations, and found that the platform I preferred was the Glock design & setup, over the others, not that the others weren't good pistols!
    Ninety plus percent of it is developing a mind-set for the new pistol platform and design, after working with it and figuring it out and how it best works for you, and then practicing and training with it consistently!
    It took me a while, but after a year, I was as consistent with the Glock as I had been with the revolvers I had been carrying over the years!
    Best!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In this modern day, it would be smart to familiarize yourself with the most likely gun that will be available to you. The gun that you will need to get you through the rest of the day may not be your own.

Whether it's the gun you pick up off the ground or the one a friend loans you to protect yourself after a self-defense shooting where the cops confiscate your weapon, it'd be smart to be proficient with the one you are handed.

A G19, mags and the kydex to carry them in isn't a huge investment. Even if that's not your ultimate carry, you'd still have it to stay familiar with it's operation. You might need the backup or to be the friend doing the loaning. Not to mention having a rig to train with... :twocents:

Last edited:

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    It's hammer fired.
    Wow, missed that one. Thanks.

So is it single action only with grip and external safeties like a 1911? Tried to look it up but no articles gave the detail I was looking for. Will have to search for some youtube videos explaining the gun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I started out on 1911s and stuck with hammer fired for a long time. The trigger feel on striker fired guns felt really odd to me. Then I bought a Glock and I realized that 90% of that odd feel goes away with live fire. The stock Glocks still have an odd feel to me so I use a factory + connector which gives more of a wall when shooting.

I came to really like the striker feel when I bought my first P10C. That has a clean take up and wall with a nice short reset. Right now, I’m happy shooting either striker or hammer fired guns but still prefer hammer fired for carry. The main reason is that I live having the ability to put a thumb on the hammer while reholstering to feel for any movement cause by a snagged trigger.

Lately, I’ve focused less on the trigger feel and more on the overall shoot ability for me. That’s taken me more towards the Sig P226/229 family and I’ve been selling off a couple of the striker fired guns.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have only one striker fired pistol. It's a Taurus PT709, and the only reason is because it's SA/DA.
    Faster to pull the trigger on a hard primer than to rack the slide to reset the trigger like on most striker fired pistols.
    It also has a pretty good trigger feel to it.
    Other than the 709, all my other pistols are hammer fired with safety/decockers

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Finally put my hands on an XDM Elite. I preferred this model because I am left handed and it has an ambi slide release. I will say that the trigger is much improved over the XDM 10 MM. The elite comes with what SA is calling the META trigger.

One thing I have noticed about SA vs Beretta is that Beretta will sell parts on their website but SA doesn't.

One thing I like in carry guns is they are part of a "family". One reason I switched from my 92 to PX4s was I could carry a SC, C, FS all with similar controls and triggers. AND Beretta had a kit to swap the safeties to the 92 style.

I also got to look at an APX. The Elite has a far better trigger. However, Beretta offers an external safety kit on their website that is user installable.

Anyway, I have "carried" around an XDM and found it more comfortable to wear when sitting in car seats, sofas, recliners etc. when holstered.

But I would like to see SA offer that META trigger as a drop in option across the product line.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I love a hammer fired pistol and they are definitely my favorite, but there are positives to the striker fired as well. Two different tools that do the same job. I shoot one type and think about how much I enjoy it, then I shoot the other type and think the same thing. Own both types and enjoy life.

Top Bottom