• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Brandon has spoken! He wants all cars to be electric powered. Has he even thought what that would do to the power grids across the nation?
    The power grids CANNOT supply that load…

Heard that directly from one of the top infrastructure transmissions people in the country.

In before ** gets thread locked…

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The power grids CANNOT supply that load…

Heard that directly from one of the top infrastructure transmissions people in the country.
    I read an article that stated that the current grid couldn't even hand 1 out of every 100 cars being fully electric. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Invest in NG or propane powered home generators now while folks are still asleep at the wheel because they have no foresight

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My thoughts are:

1) Electric vehicles are a good solution for many situations, but not all.

2) If electric cars work better for people, they will buy them. If not, they won't. Funny how that works.

3) If leftists didn't get so weirded out by the word "nuclear", we would probably have a lot more and cheaper electricity by now.

4) The government will inevitably delay the forced electrification because the most important thing to them is announcing the change, not implementing it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There is a lot of truth in this thread. Until one can recharge an electric vehicle in ~5 minutes and go another 300 miles I can't see how a fully electric fleet of cars will work. Never mind the lobbying the oil industry would do to prevent it. I do expect it will make driving my ICE powered cars more expensive of course.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'd love to have an electric vehicle, but it is absolutely not feasible for me. I frequently (every 3 months) drive anywhere from 8 to 14 hours one way to visit family, and an electric vehicle would add way too much time for charging, if there were even chargers available. For my typical trip across Missouri there is a 310 mile stretch between available chargers. The extra time spent charging for 45 minutes every 3 hours would increase the time for the trip to where I'd have to stay overnight, and turn it into a 2 day trip. And what about towing a trailer? I'd jump on an F150 hybrid if they put a larger battery in it so it would work like a volt. 50 miles on electric before the engine starts would let me stay electric most days, and simply fill with petrol on long trips.

I'd love to suggest inductive charger coils built into the road but besides the engineering and cost issues that would cause, I don't want to be tracked that closely as to where and how I drive. Neither the government nor my insurance should have that!

--Rick

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The east coast and west coast already have rolling black outs in the summer because demand is too high. This administration is absolutely nuts.
    Oh but they'll fix that by redistributing the electricity out of your car battery after you paid to charge it.

Surely you don't NEED to drive right now while others are in need, right comrade?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ll jump in early and be “that guy”… I love the idea of no cooling system, no transmission, no emission control system, no exhaust system, and no oil changes. I’ll be ready for an EV when they’re ready for me. I have a place in line for a Cybertruck. We’ll see how things look when my chance to buy comes up.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    When the Central Planners have more and better information and decision making abilities than millions of self-interested people making decisions in their best interests then perhaps Centrally Planned solutions will be better, but not until then.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will most likely have 1 or maybe 2 EV's at some point.

I don't care what our government is doing. That isn't going to move me one way or the other.

Top Bottom