• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is a lot of truth in this thread. Until one can recharge an electric vehicle in ~5 minutes and go another 300 miles I can't see how a fully electric fleet of cars will work. Never mind the lobbying the oil industry would do to prevent it. I do expect it will make driving my ICE powered cars more expensive of course.
    Of course! It is necessary to make cheap energy expensive in order to make expensive energy like wind and solar look better in comparison

FJB wants Russia and Saudi Arabia to sell us more oil, rather than pump it ourselves, because it serves those ends and weakens our country at the same time

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I bought my 2013 Chevrolet Volt in October, 2012. I researched this for about six months prior. The car performed better than expected, still gets more range out of the battery than Chevy said it would. Normal daily driving would use 1/2 to 3/4 of the battery range so a 3 hour charge would top it off. This was done at night when electricity usage was at a low. If everyone did this I suspect the load on the grid would be less than it is now (the load would shift to night time). I did use gas on long trips, but only often enough to need to fill my 7.5 gallon tank 4 times a year. My son now has this car (got it this summer), he only drives in town and burns gas because it gets old. An electric only would suit him better.

Looking at what is in the garages at work EV's suit 30-40 people per garage. As range increases more will buy EV's.

My driving cost with the Volt was just above $0.02/mile for electric, gas, and oil.
    The Volt, and "range extender" electric cars like it make a lot more sense for people outside urban environs than pure electric.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Nah, just turn the suburbs into high-density urban blight. Then you don't even NEED electric cars. Everyone can ride electric buses instead.
    This is the type of news that has me more and more desirous of moving out on a piece of land somewhere when I retire. They talked about doing that here in Bloomington recently and actually got some approvals to proceed. Hopefully I will be long gone by the time they get to my neighborhood.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Volt, and "range extender" electric cars like it make a lot more sense for people outside urban environs than pure electric.
    Sometimes I wonder if full EV's are a step to other fuel sources. What's wrong with hydrogen? That looks interesting.

Is electric like CD's? Just some format until we all get flux capacitors?

Right now I do like the plug in hybrids better than full EV.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Near Joliet last year there was a huge fire of stored batteries, my middle sister lives near there and it only made the local news. Huge continuous cloud of black smoke for a couple of days sent up. But electric is green (purple maybe?).
    Maybe we should stick to gasoline vehicles then, since gasoline is not flammable.

:rolleyes: :):

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They'll be fun until an accident stops traffic one cold winter day and you can't stay warm while you wait without running down the battery.
    421.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What are you going to do when your stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for an extended period?
    Cities like L.A., Atlanta, D.C. have horrendous traffic jams
    I mean...it's not like this isn't going on right now. Plenty of electric vehicles, plenty of traffic. The "stuck on highway" situation only differs from gas to electric in that you will need a tow for the electric....so there's plenty of problems with all electric, but this isn't one. I keep more gas in my tank than I anticipate needing and I imagine most electric care drivers keep more electrons in the battery than they plan on using...and when not moving, the electric car uses less energy than any idling gas car.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Brandon has spoken! He wants all cars to be electric powered. Has he even thought what that would do to the power grids across the nation?
    You act as if reality has anything to do with the stupid **** that pours from the mouths of democrats. I want all women to be 9's or better and dogs to be able to talk but I'm smart enough to know that it isn't going to happen.

Electric is obviously the way of the future but the technology isn't here to support it yet. I'm all in favor of research and REALISTICALLY moving toward that goal but I'm not in favor of people who don't own cars (NYC/CHICAGO/LA) voting in laws trying to force yet another fairy tale upon everyone.

Top Bottom