Thoughts, Comments, and Impressions on my BOB, GHB, SGHBs, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I stopped by Meijer earlier, and they still had a decent selection of their rain gear left, all of which was 70% off. I bought enough items that I saved $81. I picked up some rain suits for the GHB, BOB, and truck that I thought were decent quality. I also bought some less expensive rain suits to put in each of the SGHBs. While I was at it, I also bought some of the $4 vinyl ponchos that were on sale for $1.19 each. I figure I can find something to use them for, if not just to have them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to get canned Canadian bacon from a friend way up north. He passed a while back and I do not know if that product is available locally. It was really good and great for rough out camping as no refer required.
    Life is definitely better with Bacon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a winch, just no welder, so I haven't been able to mount it yet.

I am packing for my wife and I. The base items I have listed from reading all the material in these threads has put me into a 3 bag scenario. The med supply's have a bag separate from the BOB as my wife has some issues that need the extra room. Our base clothing for 2 is in a smaller back pack that she can manage and the main BOB is an ALICE military piece that is full now. The supply's will keep us for 72 hrs. best I can figure depending on weather and other factors. It is not too heavy and can be managed. My issue now is personal protection. I have a vest that holds all the spare mags for sidearm and what ever center fire rifle I choose to carry. I hung all this gear last night and I am gaining even more respect for the men and woman in our military. The ALICE bag, a P-14 Para stainless with 6 -14 rd. mags, an M-4 with 6 -30 rd. mags and a double 30 in the weapon. I need to start working out. Not prepping for war just worse case scenario.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Thanks. Since I work all over town I have a pretty good idea of how to get back to my house, but for the size and cost involved in printing out maps, it wouldn't hurt.

A video of what? :dunno:

A video of your bags. You can go more into detail as to where you got the items, price, why you chose those items, what items you removed from your bags and why.

IMG_0404.JPG

It looks 90% exactly like the one i have right now. Except mine has a zipper going diagonally on the outside top compartment.

I was going to use it as a bug out bag, but decided it was to small. So i have a Military MOLLE II
    One of the main reason i like it (skip to 5:15) is because of the clear map cover.

I'm trying to go bigger and i want to get the ILBE Pack.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I am packing for my wife and I. The base items I have listed from reading all the material in these threads has put me into a 3 bag scenario. The med supply's have a bag separate from the BOB as my wife has some issues that need the extra room. Our base clothing for 2 is in a smaller back pack that she can manage and the main BOB is an ALICE military piece that is full now. The supply's will keep us for 72 hrs. best I can figure depending on weather and other factors. It is not too heavy and can be managed. My issue now is personal protection. I have a vest that holds all the spare mags for sidearm and what ever center fire rifle I choose to carry. I hung all this gear last night and I am gaining even more respect for the men and woman in our military. The ALICE bag, a P-14 Para stainless with 6 -14 rd. mags, an M-4 with 6 -30 rd. mags and a double 30 in the weapon. I need to start working out. Not prepping for war just worse case scenario.
    Same here. I want to trim some of the fat from my BOB so I can add any other items that should probably be in there. A chest rig is on my list of items to look for at the 1500 next weekend. I'm in decent shape, but could always be in better shape. If the weather would make up it's mind I would probably get out and start running again.

A video of your bags. You can go more into detail as to where you got the items, price, why you chose those items, what items you removed from your bags and why.

It looks 90% exactly like the one i have right now. Except mine has a zipper going diagonally on the outside top compartment.

I was going to use it as a bug out bag, but decided it was to small. So i have a Military MOLLE II
    One of the main reason i like it (skip to 5:15) is because of the clear map cover.

I'm trying to go bigger and i want to get the ILBE Pack.
    I don't know what a video would cover that isn't in my first post. I'm not really looking to do a review of any items, as most of the items already have reviews out there. If you're curious where I found an item, why I went with an item, or anything else; feel free to ask.

I actually wouldn't mind going with a less obvious looking BOB, but I would rather not go with something as obvious as a huge camo pack. Also, if I go bigger it just increases my chance of putting items in the bag that I don't really need, thus also increasing the weight.

Really that first post is not enough detail?
    :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am 62 this march and a cancer survivor with all the earmarks of the age and remission. I get around pretty well as my work (HVAC tech) has me up ladders and in the pipes. Running is another story. Gave that up when I broke my ankle water skiing years ago and never picked it back up. Too late now.
    The chest rig adds some weight but gives some balance to the pack so not all a bad deal.
    I picked mine up on line last year and it fills my needs nicely. I use it when we go into the woods so I can carry enough ammo to make the work out worth while. It holds the side arm holster so that weight is off of my belt. Great system. Still need to get into shape.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I am 62 this march and a cancer survivor with all the earmarks of the age and remission. I get around pretty well as my work (HVAC tech) has me up ladders and in the pipes. Running is another story. Gave that up when I broke my ankle water skiing years ago and never picked it back up. Too late now.
    The chest rig adds some weight but gives some balance to the pack so not all a bad deal.
    I picked mine up on line last year and it fills my needs nicely. I use it when we go into the woods so I can carry enough ammo to make the work out worth while. It holds the side arm holster so that weight is off of my belt. Great system. Still need to get into shape.
    If Zombieland taught me anything, you're dead without Cardio. :): I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm lucky that I have a somewhat physical job, so it keeps me from being completely out of shape. If I had a desk job I would definitely be a lot worse off.

I'm still undecided on where to carry the sidearm, but the chest is an option. Just depends on how much real estate there is.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I only see one thing really missing.A way to filter water.You have enough water to eat your emergency rations and that is about it.I would add a water filter for sure.Ever try those rations? It will take a bottle of water to wash down one bar.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    one thing to consider with your truck. I have a similar vehicle ('03 GMC 2500HD). make sure you regularly PM your spare tire. It's easy to forget. Aside from keeping it aired, make sure the spare tire hoist isn't seized into the locked position. I had neglected mine for a few years and when I needed it (on the 69N/465 ramp) I couln't lower it, because the locking mechanism (not the keyed lock on the back bumper, but rather the backup that keeps the tire lifted incase the cable of the hoist breaks) was seized up. It looks like you've got a gasser so you don't need to worry about an extra fuel filter (mines a diesel). Nice write up.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Great Job. The only thing I was leery about would be the food situation. Seemed a little lacking, but other than that, it looked awesome.
    I don't have a huge assortment, but 3600 calories 24 hours and 7200 for 72-96 hours should be enough.

I only see one thing really missing.A way to filter water.You have enough water to eat your emergency rations and that is about it.I would add a water filter for sure.Ever try those rations? It will take a bottle of water to wash down one bar.
    I'm working on that, and am going to look around at the 1500. If I don't find anything there, I will come up with something and order it.

one thing to consider with your truck. I have a similar vehicle ('03 GMC 2500HD). make sure you regularly PM your spare tire. It's easy to forget. Aside from keeping it aired, make sure the spare tire hoist isn't seized into the locked position. I had neglected mine for a few years and when I needed it (on the 69N/465 ramp) I couln't lower it, because the locking mechanism (not the keyed lock on the back bumper, but rather the backup that keeps the tire lifted incase the cable of the hoist breaks) was seized up. It looks like you've got a gasser so you don't need to worry about an extra fuel filter (mines a diesel). Nice write up.
    I bought the truck with steelies, and swapped the alloys on after I bought it. I have actually been looking for a single alloy to replace the spare with and put the same tire on so I can rotate it through when I rotate the tires. In the mean time, I will crank it down this weekend to just make sure it isn't seized.

Yea, if I went diesel I would have spent a lot more than I wanted. A decent 04.5+ diesel would have been a $20k+. If price was no object, or they were the same, I would have gone diesel no questions asked.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    WOW...

Well thought out...

The only things I have seen you miss is;
    Water Filtration of some kind.
    And have you thought of a Small Stove as a Heat/Fire source instead of a Fire?!

As far as switching from a Fleece to a Wool Blanket, don't...

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    WOW...

Well thought out...

The only things I have seen you miss is;
    Water Filtration of some kind.
    And have you thought of a Small Stove as a Heat/Fire source instead of a Fire?!

As far as switching from a Fleece to a Wool Blanket, don't...
    I'm looking to pick up some of the Aquamira filters and add them to the bags. I would only build a fire as a last resort, but do have a USGI canteen cup/stove in the BOB.

I have made some small changes to the configurations of some of the bags, and will find a way to edit/post them when I get the time.

Top Bottom