THose water purification straws? Work or junk?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am looking at those smaller water filtration straws and want some feedback from the panel here. Some of these pump systems look like they would break at the worst moment and less moving parts seems like the way to go.

One looks like this:
    9straw.jpg

$33 And specs out as :
    [FONT=helvetica,arial]Survival Straw.[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica,arial]The Survival Straw is a unique solution for water purification. By drinking through the Survival Straw, you destroy harmful bacteria, remove chlorine, water-soluble heavy metals, pesticides, arsenic, mercury, EDB, and other carcinogens. Odor and bad taste are also eliminated as the water is purified. Certified tests show that the Survival Straw will remove 99.99% of bacteria, Giardia, and EDB pesticides from your water source. The Survival Straw weighs only two ounces and is 1 1/4 " in diameter by 7 1/2 " long. Processes up to 5,000 gallons of water. [/FONT]

-------------------------------------------------------

Another is a bit different and is on Ebay for under $20. and looks like it could connect to a camel back?

IMG_3097.jpg

Comments? I want one for use in the motorcycle luggage for trips and to keep around in the kit bag. I want to try and stay away from chemical units (iodine) and cheap breakable units that need expensive replacement cartridges, I would rather use the cheaper ebay one and throw it away after a trip and keep a few in stock.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had students in my survival classes use the survival straw with no ill effects healthwise. They have a draw issue, in otherwords yu have to suck harder to get water through them. Thats pretty much the case with all the filter straws.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have used them in various CZ around the globe with no ill effects to myself. As WETSU stated draw issues are the only thing that was noted.

I prefer to use the inline filter that camelbak offers. 2 thumbs up on that product for sure.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Most straws are reverse osmosis filters...ie use them until you can't anymore and toss in the trash. I have a katadyn Vario,but yes it does have quite a few movable parts,but with the ceramic subfilter it will last well over 500 gallons. There is a third option,and I am getting one of these as well...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...619-22_50_for_a_good_water_filter_system.html
    This is a pure ceramic filter that will last forever with cleaning(much like the katadyn base camp filters for over 1000 dollars)..this one is less than 25 shipped.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I've used various products like the camelbak filter and prefer them. Buy something with good references and you cant go wrong. No amount of gatorade or anything else makes water purified with halezone tabs taste like anything but ass.

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I HAVE USED CERAMIC FILTERS AT 5 MICRONS BEFORE WITH GOOD RESULTS... THEY ARE LARGER BUT YOU WON'T SUCK YOUR SPHINCTOR INSIDE OUT TRYING TO GET WATER UP THROUGH IT EITHER. USE PLAIN CHLORINE BLEACH TO STERILIZE WATER BEFORE YOU DRINK. 6 DROPS IN A QUART CANTEEN WILL MAKE IT POTABLE. I HAVE STORED WATER FOR OVER A YEAR AFTER ADDING 6 DROPS TO A QUART.

DOC

Top Bottom