• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My katadyn vario is nearly 90 dollars. Granted it is compact and works,but it requires energy and a cartridge every 500 gallons. this one is pure ceramic and silver.In my opinion it blows away my Vario. If you have a storage program,or just think you might need water if the power goes out for $22.50 you can probably never do better.Here is the link.
    Monolithic Marketplace - Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter

m39fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Owen County
    WOW! Thanks much!!! The one area that we're seriously lacking in is water preps. Like you say, the Katadyn's and others are just so expensive! Will definitely be considering these!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    MSR AutoFlow, .2 microns, 1.75 liters per minute, holds 4 liters, no pumping, $80. We have used them at elk camp for years, great for larger groups.

This year we're testing a home-grown charcoal barrel, it seems to be working fine, water tests have been good for hot weather, I still need to test it throught the cooler months.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I plan on funneling through a Brita filter and then boiling.
    The PUR filter is a much safer bet.It will get down to .1micro,the Brita does not.
    We have a couple Sawyers,the Vario,and one of these,just trying to give people a cheaper alternative for those on a strict budget.The PUR pitcher is a 15 dollar item that can be picked up at any big box retailer,but does not have near the filter life of a ceramic like the one in my original post.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    new to the idea of personal water filtration here...

Just wondering if anyone's ever thought about doing testing on human urine?

Say that you're just about to upgrade your filter and can afford to run some through the older unit...

Send a sample to be tested? Go ahead and test it yourself given that it's basically safe to drink straight from the tap, so to speak?

Add some powdered Tang to take the edge off?

Just some mind-wanderings from a tired guy...sorry.

-J-

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My katadyn vario is nearly 90 dollars. Granted it is compact and works,but it requires energy and a cartridge every 500 gallons. this one is pure ceramic and silver.In my opinion it blows away my Vario. If you have a storage program,or just think you might need water if the power goes out for $22.50 you can probably never do better.Here is the link.
    Monolithic Marketplace - Just Water, Ceramic Drip-Filter

I made a similar setup with a pair of black Berkey candles and two buckets. The black ones are purifiers and are good for several thousand gallons if I remember correctly. I think I will take another bucket and do a couple of the white filters in it as a pre-filter and make the purifiers last even longer. The white ones are good for 10's of thousands of gallons too. A couple of whites and blacks as spares and I should be good to go for drinkable water. I live near the Ohio river, so I am not worried about a source.

These listed above are very inexpensive and might be good to keep on the shelf for backups. I like backups. My backups have backups.

Top Bottom