Those that run a business: What say you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Would only work for the individual that uses his site-posted map for navigation. Those who use their own device will still have the same problem.

I have no patience for people who can't follow simple instructions. I run into this kind of stupidity all of the time with the rentals. But the silver lining is that being able to follow the first-time inquiry process is a part of the application process. If you can't comply with a simple time frame and/or instruction for leaving a voice mail if I don't answer, then I'm going to assume you can't read a lease agreement let alone comply with it or make rent payments on time. I am a very proactive culler.

I am now full time in investment properties. It is amazing some of the stuff you hear.... Keeps getting better since 2001.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As many of you know, I run a small gunsmith business. It is operated out of my home, but, I do quite a bit of business. I have been having quite a few problems with customers lately, and was going to present it to the INGO members, to see if I could get advice, and potentially a solution. Here are the issues:

1. People cannot find my business. I give very specific directions on how to get to my house (located on 267 north of Brownsburg.) People schedule their own appointments, and prior to scheduling, it gives very specific directions and states very clearly to NOT USE GPS as it will not pull up my address. Once the customer books the appointment, an email is sent to them giving, again, VERY specific directions. Inevitably, I will have someone call saying "I can't find your house. My GPS took me to....." I have been very patient, and explain "That's why I put 'don't use GPS.'" The other thing is I have had people go to my neighbor's house knocking on the door with a firearm. While my neighbors are quite understanding, it's still aggrivating to them too. I had one guy WALK INTO my neighbors HOUSE with a gun. Walked in. Didn't knock...just walked in.

Would your neighbor mind you putting up a small sign next to their drive, mailbox, or next to their doorbell? "This is NOT Havlins. He is THAT way--->"

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am just a "customer." One of those folks who just wants something—a product, service, whatever. I look for good quality, good price, good service.

Say I hear good things about Mr. X. I want to do business with him. I follow all the instructions, talk to X, decide I want to go further and set up an appointment. Cool.

Then I drive an hour down the interstate, cut over to the state road. Great. Now I pull out the printed instructions I brought along. I am cruising down the road looking for the landmarks. Some local yokel comes up behind and lays on the horn because I a driving too slow for Mr. Indy 500 wanna be. OK, I pull over to let him pass, and he flips me the bird as he zooms on his way. So I sit there wondering if the local yokel is going to turn around and come back for second pass, or further conversation. OK, now where was I. Back to the map/instructions. What was the last landmark? OK, must be up ahead.

Ten miles later I figure out I missed a turn. Must have been while I was worrying over the Indy wanna be. U-turn on the state road. Don't dare pull into someone's drive way to execute the turn—folks don't like that. INGO threads taught never to do that or I will catch a load of buckshot or rock salt in my tail lights (anyone remember Jack Ryan?). OK, heading back; now I have to reconfigure the directions. I am heading south, not north—things are on the right, not left. Crap back to intersection where I turned onto the state road. WHERE WAS THAT TURN??

Must of passed it while reading the directions. Crap—I'm already 30 minutes late, and I am back to the starting point. At least 15 minutes away. That guy is not going to be happy. He'll probably jack the price just to get even! I don't need this! I'm not doing that again. Hang a left and head back to the interstate. Stop for coffee and pecan pie at Bob Evans on the way. Call and say "Sorry. I did not make it. Could not find your place"? Not a chance. I got flipped off by Indy wanna be. I am not giving X a chance to ream me a new one on the phone.

"Hey, honey, how about a refill on the coffee?"

Again, I am just a customer. A city slicker. I have stopped by farm houses to ask for directions and had the dogs swarming the car, and seen the boys up on the porch shotgun in hand. Guess I am not asking for directions here. I read through the thread. I understand you want to do business and you give clear instructions. Your business and your rules. No problem. Just understand that as a customer, if I read those instructions and realized that I was on the hook for $50 if I can't find your place, then there is no way on God's little green earth I will even call to make the appointment.

No disrespect intended. I am trying to help you see it from the other side. You might want to re-consider your business model. If the customer can't find you or does not feel respected and valued, you will lose the opportunity for a sale.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I believe I have taken enough initiative.

As a past business owner and now working in a position in which I am supposed to drive business to our company you can never say that you have taken enough imitiative. If folks have any trouble finding your location you have not done everything you can do.
    That being said, why can't your mailbox be some eye-catching color with your name and logo on it?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    As a past business owner and now working in a position in which I am supposed to drive business to our company you can never say that you have taken enough imitiative. If folks have any trouble finding your location you have not done everything you can do.
    That being said, why can't your mailbox be some eye-catching color with your name and logo on it?
    You can when you don't need them, when there are 5 more people waiting for the idiot who can't follow directions to get out of the way. I don't seem to have a problem finding applicants. (The problem is weeding out the bad applicants who can still follow directions. :): )

ETA: it's not that people can't find him because his house is hard to locate from the street. It's hard to find him because GPS doesn't provide accurate positioning. If people follow HIS directions, I'm betting it's pretty easy.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Post a photo of your place of business.
    Crikey people. Pay attention. Following incorrect directions is the problem. Not a home that's impossible to find because of lack of landmarks or indistinguishable markings. What good is a photo for the guy who is using a bad map?

LOL, I think we're seeing who would following the email directions and who would just plug the address into GPS in this thread.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I put 7666 S SR 267, Fayette, IN into Google maps and it pulled up your place, at least I think it's your place from reading the directions

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Make certain your website works correctly with cell phones and tablets. If you use Google Analytics or such on your site, you will most likely find that a great majority are connecting with their mobile device. Never a desktop.

Like 88GT said, sometimes you just have to suck it up and shut off the worst offenders. I've been dealing with the public for about 34 years. I can tell you that lots of people either, won't read it, can't read it or can't comprehend it.

Can you setup the software to maybe email them a reminder the day prior.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Crikey people. Pay attention. Following incorrect directions is the problem. Not a home that's impossible to find because of lack of landmarks or indistinguishable markings. What good is a photo for the guy who is using a bad map?

LOL, I think we're seeing who would following the email directions and who would just plug the address into GPS in this thread.
    Wow, read all the threads before jumping there froggy. The OP said that some folks have walked into a neighbor's house. A photo of the house might prevent that and also driving past the place. Geeze, some people. :rolleyes:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Paint the roof neon pink-- then directions get easy. Every neighbor will know how to guide a person "that house with the ugly pink roof"

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I took some suggestions and updated a few things. Thanks for all your input.
    Nice! It's bound to help the folks who are so visual, over-connected, and can't follow written instructions. BTW, I don't run a business (unless you count monkey business), but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express. ;)

Top Bottom