Those that run a business: What say you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    As many of you know, I run a small gunsmith business. It is operated out of my home, but, I do quite a bit of business. I have been having quite a few problems with customers lately, and was going to present it to the INGO members, to see if I could get advice, and potentially a solution. Here are the issues:

1. People cannot find my business. I give very specific directions on how to get to my house (located on 267 north of Brownsburg.) People schedule their own appointments, and prior to scheduling, it gives very specific directions and states very clearly to NOT USE GPS as it will not pull up my address. Once the customer books the appointment, an email is sent to them giving, again, VERY specific directions. Inevitably, I will have someone call saying "I can't find your house. My GPS took me to....." I have been very patient, and explain "That's why I put 'don't use GPS.'" The other thing is I have had people go to my neighbor's house knocking on the door with a firearm. While my neighbors are quite understanding, it's still aggrivating to them too. I had one guy WALK INTO my neighbors HOUSE with a gun. Walked in. Didn't knock...just walked in.

Directions to the shop and special details:

DO NOT USE GPS!!! IT WILL NOT PULL UP THE CORRECT ADDRESS!!!

7666 South State Road 267

BOONE COUNTY

Go north of Brownsburg on 267. You will cross into Boone County. Once in Boone County you will see a golf course on the west side of the road. My house is the FIRST house north of the golf course.

Please pull PAST the house and park next to the two car garage.

2. No call no shows. I understand things come up, believe me. Being in public safety, I'm the first to have to reschedule due to something coming up. I've enacted a new policy for that, and have had quite the backlash from it:

By scheduling an appointment, you are agreeing to terms and conditions below:
    [h=4]Cancellations:
    [/h]If you are unable to keep your appointment, a call, text or email 8 hours in advance is appreciated. This allows Havlin’s Firearms Finishing to schedule other clients.
    With current industry demand, canceling an appointment with less than an 8 hour notice prevents Havlin’s Firearms Finishing the opportunity to service others. Havlin’s completely understands the sudden emergencies of life that require cancellation of your appointment. HOWEVER, in the case of two (2) cancellations with less than 8 hour notice, Havlin’s reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee of $50. This will be due before future services are rendered.
    [h=4]No Shows:[/h]A “No Show Fee” charge of fifty dollars ($50.00) will be charged to new clients. This will be due before future services are rendered.
    Please note that it has been, and will continue to be, our policy to email and confirm appointments with our clients one to two days prior to each of their appointments.

With that said...what do you, INGO, think? Suggestions?

firefighter4884

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Evansville
    I take you do business by appointment only. As far as finding your place, you might consider a sign that you can place when you're working, and remove if you're not working, in order to help make your home easier to find...

As far as the no show policy and cancellation policy, those I find harder to swallow. Perhaps if you had something in there regarding a justifiable reason for being a no-show, and management retains the right to waive the fee at their digression.

I'm like you, I work public service, and I also volunteer. Was supposed to have the oil changed in my pickup today, and missed the appointment because I was dispatched for a house fire, the last thing I was thinking as I left the house was "oh, gotta get to my oil change..." It happens, and it seems like it always happens when I have something else to be doing.

Goodluck with your business!

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    With an address given, address on the post out front and directions...I'm not sure if a sign would help. I don't have a sign because I don't really want to advertise to every person driving down the road. Plus with county ordinance, I'm not sure that would fly.

Secondly, I understand emergencies. COMPLETELY understand emergencies. A simple call or text after the fact, the next day, etc would be nice though. But when a person just "doesn't show up," and then says something to the effect of "oh I didn't know I had an appointment," when THEY scheduled the appointment and they get no less than 2 reminders that they have an appointment...well...then I have a problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now you understand. People just do not retain instructions/directions. Not all but enough to make you pull out your hair.

Totally reliant on the digital world.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't have any problem with your stated policies. Your business, your rules. If you're extraordinarily good at what you do, you will have business regardless of whether your customers find your policies inconvenient for whatever reason. It is sad fact that most people can't be bothered to actually read directions/instructions/contracts etc. these days. It is EXTREMELY unfortunate that your neighbors are bearing the burden of your customers' mistakes.

There is one other possible solution. Take your own phone/GPS out to your driveway and drop a pin at your actual location. Then click the pin and read what the GPS/mapping software thinks is your address. You might supply that as a GPS address in your emails.

Good luck to you.

firefighter4884

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Evansville
    With an address given, address on the post out front and directions...I'm not sure if a sign would help. I don't have a sign because I don't really want to advertise to every person driving down the road. Plus with county ordinance, I'm not sure that would fly.

Secondly, I understand emergencies. COMPLETELY understand emergencies. A simple call or text after the fact, the next day, etc would be nice though. But when a person just "doesn't show up," and then says something to the effect of "oh I didn't know I had an appointment," when THEY scheduled the appointment and they get no less than 2 reminders that they have an appointment...well...then I have a problem.

Completely understand the sign thing. Didn't think about local ordinances. Was more thinking about something temporary that you could use to mark your house and make it more noticeable. I understand your dilemma, if people aren't smart enough to read the directions...I'm not sure how you're going to help them much...

And you're 100% correct, a quick phone call / text would be wonderful!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As noted, if you have a GPS unit, use it to find your own location (Garmin uses "Where Am I?"), and provide those coordinates.

I have NO issue with businesses that have a 'no show' policy, AS LONG as they understand that works BOTH ways. Once had a doctor cancel on me AFTER I had waited in the waiting room for over an hour. Billed him $400 for my time and the cancellation. LOL, he THOUGHT he'd just refuse to pay. I got my $400. ;)

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    We have a similar problem for our home. Google maps and the iphone GPS put you 10 miles ENE of our home. We found that our road has two dirfferent names and, depending where you look, two different town names. Check to see if you road is similar, even going back to before it was a SR. Interestingly enough, the yellow diamond warning sign shows one name for our road and the little green sign at the intersection shows the other.

I also always stress that GPS and Google maps frequently give the wrong location and still get the "i'm lost" phone call half the time.

Good luck and I understand your frustation of folks not bothering to understand your explicit intructions.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I typed the following into Google map app on my iphone:

7666 S SR 267, Brownsburg, IN

It accurately depicts your address.

I assume your address is actually a Lebanon address? That area where you live is a bit screwy with gps units.

Edit: I tried it again and it didn't work that time

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    My :twocents:...

Welcome to the business world! As for the address/GPS issue, take some initiative, if you have a problem and it's possibly costing you business FIX IT! A lot of customers will used the default map/gps on Android phones which is Google. You can request the address update here: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/162873?hl=en

As for the scheduling. I agree with the other comment about it working both ways. You know how many times I have gone to a Dr. Apt, or any other service and waited beyond 15 mins past my scheduled time? 90% or better. Know how many of those same placed I have gone back to after I have forgotten an Apt and received a no-show charge? None.

If you really have a big problem with no-shows, consider doing a day before reminder call.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I believe I have taken enough initiative. There is a map posted in the site where appointments are made. As far as scheduling goes, I have NEVER missed a scheduled appointment. Not to mention I schedule appointments at 1/2 hour intervals so that I can make every person feel like they are not rushed. Day before call...I am a sole proprietor. I don't have time to call every customer every time they schedule an appointment...thus the self scheduling software. Again, I'm a very understanding person. Almost too much at times. I let people get away with a lot and just brush it off. Maybe I need to start sticking to my guns...excuse the pun.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I believe I have taken enough initiative.

Then what exactly are we discussing here? I know how the "customer" attitude can be hard to take at times, but that's simply part of the business. We have all dealt with no-call-no-shows, it sucks, but you just soldier on. I'm a sole proprietor and I can make day before phone calls to remind customers. I've done it while juggling a full time second job, and family, sure it takes a little bit more involvement on my part, but the payday makes it worth my effort.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I like the GPS coordinates idea. Although is they can't follow the instructions in your communication, I doubt that would help.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I run a small business to. It's tough if you are off the beaten path. I am lucky I live on a corner lot on a popular road. I have had to find other business in the rural areas pre-GPS. If you are doing good business you might try to get a small store front in a main area. It might just grow your business! Best of luck Brett.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My business is a coin-op carwash. It's on the main drag, so no problems there. But the good times start when some guy goes muddin' with his monster truck and hoses off half a cornfield in one of my bays.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My business is a coin-op carwash. It's on the main drag, so no problems there. But the good times start when some guy goes muddin' with his monster truck and hoses off half a cornfield in one of my bays.

I don't know what you're talking about :whistle:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Pull up google map of your place and post it on your site?
    Would only work for the individual that uses his site-posted map for navigation. Those who use their own device will still have the same problem.

I have no patience for people who can't follow simple instructions. I run into this kind of stupidity all of the time with the rentals. But the silver lining is that being able to follow the first-time inquiry process is a part of the application process. If you can't comply with a simple time frame and/or instruction for leaving a voice mail if I don't answer, then I'm going to assume you can't read a lease agreement let alone comply with it or make rent payments on time. I am a very proactive culler.

Top Bottom