Thinking of switching Glock 19 Gen 5 for smaller 9mm. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    I’ve had a Glock 19 for a couple of years now and I pretty much only carry to the mall or movie theater. Anywhere I think a mass shooting might take place really.

I’m thinking of trading it out for something smaller so I’m less scared of printing. I carry AIWB and am about 5’ 10” and 140lbs. Any suggestions? I would like to make a straight trade when I do decide to get something else, so it’ll have to be close in price.

My biggest concerns are magazine capacity (I do always carry an spare) and reliability. I typically wear dress clothes, so maybe something that would fit into a pocket holster?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Fortunately, most of the modern compacts have plenty of capacity imo. Pick your favorite brand/model...Glock 43, Sig 365, S&W shield, etc. AIWB comfort is a subjective thing. Many find a really small gun, carried in that location, can be more uncomfortable than a slightly larger/longer gun.

Unfortunately, we don't get to pick or guess where a firearm might be needed. Some of my closest encounters with sketchy folks have been in my own driveway, while doing yard work/fiddling in garage. Second place is gas stations...but you just never know when/where.

Carry everywhere, please. As you carry more, you'll find that the majority of people won't notice any minor printing issues (plus you'll get better at concealing).

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Fortunately, most of the modern compacts have plenty of capacity imo. Pick your favorite brand/model...Glock 43, Sig 365, S&W shield, etc.

Unfortunately, we don't get to pick or guess where a firearm might be needed. Some of my closest encounters with sketchy folks have been in my own driveway, while doing yard work/fiddling in garage. Second place is gas stations.

Carry everywhere, please. As you carry more, you'll find that the majority of people won't notice any minor printing issues (plus you'll get better at concealing).
    I did have a Shield Plus for a little while, but it didn’t feel “chunky” enough in my hand. I will have to try a 43 out.

You’re right about not being able to pick where it might be needed, which is why I’ve pretty much decided to get something I’ll carry more. I just need to figure out a way to actually have it on me while wearing slacks and a tucked in button-up.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I recently acquired a Taurus GX4, very light, small 9mm, I have been carrying it a lot, and it is hardly noticeable, still hold 12 rounds. Taurus has really upped their quality game lately, and at their price point, you could buy it, and keep the G19...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I am the same size as you, and after trying KelTec and Kahr and S&W 469, my current favorite is the P365XL macro (it fits my hands best). The P365 was just too small. I barely even remember I'm carrying it.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Take a look at the Canik TP9SF Elite. 15 round magazine capacity. Great hand purchase and the trigger is great. Extremely friendly price too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glock 26, will accept all G17/19 mags also.

Tried the G43x and it was too small for me, carried nice but I couldn't shoot it well.

Lotta folks don't realize that their "whippier" smaller guns often have to be regripped after every shot. That's a problem if your target isn't paper at the range. If your target might be shooting back at you, better make sure you are not struggling to hold on to the pistol, throughout the whole magazine and the next.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you're happy with the Glock 19 except it's size, have you considered the 43X?

I have a Glock 43 and a 43X...and for waistband carry (I prefer OWB, 4:00 position) I prefer the Glock 43X...plus you can get the Shield Arms magazines that hold 15 rounds, the same number of rounds as the Glock 19. The Glock 43 is just for pocket carry in the summer!

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    A Glock 19 is a great all purpose 9mm that you might want to keep especially if you like going to malls and movie theaters, etc. It also works well for competition, home defense, travel, teaching new shooters, etc. You did mention capacity and reliability are important and the 19 has that covered. Should be easy enough to dress around the 19 for those carry days when you want more gun. I have both the Glock 19 and 43. The 43 certainly is a shootable little pistol and a joy to carry. That said my favorite always gun is a 5 shot S&W lightweight J frame revolver with 38+p in a pocket holster. It conceals better for me, easier to get out of the pocket for me, and certainly is reliable.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Sig P365 X Macro. Very slim yet still offers 17 +1 / same for spare magazine. An AIWB or IWB holster that offers a tuck in clip might be best for concealment. Have you taken any training? A good class will help you with proficiency while deploying whatever you pick. I had major shoulder surgery years ago and HAD to carry AIWB so I took a class that specialixed in that location. Smartest money I ever spent. My shoulder was totally replaced and now I carry about 4 or 5 o'clock depending on pants / shorts I am wearing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lotta folks don't realize that their "wippier" smaller guns often have to be regripped after every shot. That's a problem if your target isn't paper at the range. If your target might be shooting back at you, better make sure you are not struggling to hold on to the pistol, throughout the whole magazine and the next.

:twocents:

Hand strength can be an issue for some, but if you're a non-arthritic healthy male who can wipe his own backside you shouldn't need to regrip a 43X between shots. If you do, your fundamentals need adjustment.

OP - Mass shootings are a concern, but a much much smaller one than normal o' routine criminal violence. The 43X with a SCD makes a lovely AIWB gun, IMO. I stick with OEM mags because they are slightly more reliable and I'm not worried about an incident I can't solve in 11 rounds but can solve in 16 more than I'm worried about a malfunction on rounds 1-3.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I carry a p365x with wilson combat grips in in a sticky holser my pocket.nobody knows it is there and I can get hands on it without anyone knowing. My advice is to go and hold several options. The minor differences seem to matter more in micro 9mm.

Top Bottom