Thinking of starting to re-load my own ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've got a Dillon 550, but size on a single stage press.

For rifles:
    I deprime
    clean
    uniform primer pockets
    size
    trim
    clean
    Then load

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's my 2 cents. Ammo prices have more than doubled for the most part in the last 10 years. If you have any intentions of stockpiling more than a few thousand rounds of various calibers, you either have to have cash you don't know what to do with or reload. I started out with a Lee Anniversary kit.

Here's my advice. If you are going to reload, budget a minimum of $1000 on just equipment. Yes, you need a single stage press for various operations. But if you go out and buy a mediocre press, you'll end up upgrading it. Depending on what increments you upgrade in, you could end up having much more money in it in the long run.

I use a Hornady LNL AP with case feeder, an LNL single stage, a Giraud case trimmer, etc. As far as single stage presses go, go with a Lee Cast press, an RCBS Rockchucker or Hornady LNL. For a progressive, only go with the Hornady LNL AP or a Dillon 650. The 550 is a good press but the optional case feeder is not capable of doing rifle calibers. You'll probably get tired of feeding cases individually by hand so you will want that capability in the future.

Just a couple years ago, I was loading lead 45 acp for about $5 a box. Now it can easily run $10 a box. Cheapest 45 acp you will find in stores is $15 a box on sale. I've got approx. 300 pounds of wheel weights so I will start casting my own shortly.

I don't intend to run you off with the equipment prices but I want you to know what you are getting yourself into.

Someone asked how I process my brass. My process is evolving. I started off tumbling and using Hornady unique lube. Takes forever to lube. I tried one shot and that stuff is junk. Dillon spray lube is the only way to go. I run them all through my LNL AP to size and deprime. Then I'd tumble again to get the lube off an help clean the primer pockets. I will no longer tumble the second time. The Dillon case lube doesn't really leave much residue once it's dry and the media really likes to hang up in the flasholes and also is just that much more of a mess and gets everywhere you don't want it to on a progressive press. Next I trim.

I take out the sizing die and put in a decap die to get any media out of the flashole. I won't need to do that anymore since I won't be tumbling the brass the second time. The decap die can catch on the mouth of 223 brass so it does slow it up a little. I then load up with primers and powder and have at it. You don't want to run batches of less than 1000 on a progressive as it takes time to do caliber changes and get everything dialed in. You can have true quick changeovers but can cost several hundered dollars more to buy all the stuff needed to do it, especially on the Dillon.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Here's my 2 cents. Ammo prices have more than doubled for the most part in the last 10 years. If you have any intentions of stockpiling more than a few thousand rounds of various calibers, you either have to have cash you don't know what to do with or reload. I started out with a Lee Anniversary kit.

Here's my advice. If you are going to reload, budget a minimum of $1000 on just equipment. Yes, you need a single stage press for various operations. But if you go out and buy a mediocre press, you'll end up upgrading it. Depending on what increments you upgrade in, you could end up having much more money in it in the long run.

I use a Hornady LNL AP with case feeder, an LNL single stage, a Giraud case trimmer, etc. As far as single stage presses go, go with a Lee Cast press, an RCBS Rockchucker or Hornady LNL. For a progressive, only go with the Hornady LNL AP or a Dillon 650. The 550 is a good press but the optional case feeder is not capable of doing rifle calibers. You'll probably get tired of feeding cases individually by hand so you will want that capability in the future.

Just a couple years ago, I was loading lead 45 acp for about $5 a box. Now it can easily run $10 a box. Cheapest 45 acp you will find in stores is $15 a box on sale. I've got approx. 300 pounds of wheel weights so I will start casting my own shortly.

I don't intend to run you off with the equipment prices but I want you to know what you are getting yourself into.

Someone asked how I process my brass. My process is evolving. I started off tumbling and using Hornady unique lube. Takes forever to lube. I tried one shot and that stuff is junk. Dillon spray lube is the only way to go. I run them all through my LNL AP to size and deprime. Then I'd tumble again to get the lube off an help clean the primer pockets. I will no longer tumble the second time. The Dillon case lube doesn't really leave much residue once it's dry and the media really likes to hang up in the flasholes and also is just that much more of a mess and gets everywhere you don't want it to on a progressive press. Next I trim.

I take out the sizing die and put in a decap die to get any media out of the flashole. I won't need to do that anymore since I won't be tumbling the brass the second time. The decap die can catch on the mouth of 223 brass so it does slow it up a little. I then load up with primers and powder and have at it. You don't want to run batches of less than 1000 on a progressive as it takes time to do caliber changes and get everything dialed in. You can have true quick changeovers but can cost several hundered dollars more to buy all the stuff needed to do it, especially on the Dillon.

Very good reply. Seems like some good advice there, thanks.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Reloading is a good pass time but or rifle reloading which I mostly do it does not save much money. I seem to try new things alot which ends up costing more in the long run but again it is fun and you can fine tune almost any rifle to shoot good. I have been at it for about twenty eight years still learning reading books and trying new things. I was lucky in finding someone who reloaded for a living the best way is to get with someone with experience and ask a lot of questions and never exceed the guide lines of your reloading books.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Check out Lee Classic Reloading kits,comes with almost everything you will need to start,get carbide dies if doing handgun ammo,READ THE BOOKS! You can always upgrade later.

Top Bottom