• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Could you elaborate... I was n 07 and never paid such a thing.

Exactly. It's a protection scheme to get your info to the Department of State for exporters; why it takes >$2000 every year or two to do so is beyond me.

Snippet of the law:
    "Sec. 122.1 Registration requirements.

(a) General. Any person who engages in the United States in the business
    of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing
    defense services is required to register with the Office of Munitions
    Control. Manufacturers who do not engage in exporting must nevertheless
    register."

If you don't export, they have no business getting in yours. If you don't manufacture anything, they have nothing to ping you on. Same thing as 922(r), no prosecutions because it can't be enforced. They will strongarm you and send you officials letters telling you that you NEED to register and pay them, but if you're a small-town 'smith, get real.

Yeah, I got the CYA and "don't do it and find out hur hur hur" stuff. But tons of 07's don't do it, don't need to do it, and are far higher profile than you or me.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    Doesn't matter if you did or didn't, it's a State Department law. It's not optional and you don't have to export. There is a flowchart for paying and if you have a license, you pay. Do what you want, I'm sure there are tons of guys running shops who don't. We export and pay it. Our ATF inspector was keen on it. There is no way for ATF to check it because they don't cross talk, but it is right in your info packet that it is required.

oliver88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    SE IN
    If you manufacture items that are on the US munitions list then you will be required to register ITAR... ITAR and BATF are two separate sets of rules....The definitions for manufacture are completely different between the two government bodies.. This doesn't matter if you export or not..

The current administration is aggressively going after non ITAR compliant type 07's... They collected $65mil in fines last year and they are starting to go after small one man shops also.. It's another attempt at backdoor gun control. Right now it costs $2250 per year but there is nothing in place to prevent that price from going up.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Again, not seeing the case history. lots of reference to fines and "lots of dealers" taking heat, but all from law firms that want your business and no reference to actual cases of this actually happening.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Speaking with my ATF agent, I was told verbatim, "If you are going to manufacture firearms, even just building ARs, you MUST pay the ITAR, which is $2000 a year." Now, you don't have to pay it, you don't have to register, hell you don't even have to get a license. As for me and my world, I'm not going to jeopardize a portion of my life. Period. It's not a matter of whether or not I like it or agree with it. It's a tax to the crown. Pay up or lose your business and/or freedom.

oliver88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    SE IN
    I am not going to waste my time trying to convince you guys about it--

It's your asses if you get fined

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have absolutely no idea what your skill set is, so please don't take this as snarky. If you are truly a "gunsmith", I could see making a good living at it. There's a long line for work to be done by competant reputable guys like AJ Brown. But the title "gunsmith" gets thrown around pretty loosely by a lot of guys armed with a dremel and basic tools. It's a skill set many do not posses (myself included).
    Working on AR's is like playing with Lego's and almost any guy willing to try, can put a lower receiver together. With the aid of a couple YouTube videos and a few specialized tools, the same guy can change out barrels / rails on an upper. But pulling barrels on most rifles, truing actions, timing guns, mill / lath work, etc.... are a completely different animal. I think it would be a ton of hassle and even more government bureaucracy to wade through for a very small return if your more of what I'd term as a hobbyist. Not to mention the liability involved, storing peoples crap / waiting on them to get it, and having strangers in and out of your home would suck. God forbid, but if something like the Manchin / Toomey gun bill ever gets pushed through, then I could see making some cash with a home based FFL transfer business, or setting up a table at gun shows running 4473's/

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Kinda my thoughts too,Solsberry is pretty quiet and my work shop/shed is surrounded on all sides by family members with guns.I might reinforce the walls with metal or something.

Can your neighbors prevent a fire or tornado? Will someone be watching the shed 24x7? Can they prevent a customer from slipping and falling on your property?

I hate to be discouraging, but it seriously sounds like you have a LOT more homework to do.

Top Bottom