• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Do you belong to weaponsguild.com? There are a ton of 07's on that forum. You can probably get a some good advice over there.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    In some counties you do not have to be zoned business. To save yourself the headaches, ask your county about a home occupation permit. That's what I did here in Boone County. As long as your current with the county, the BATF considers that "zoned" business. If you have any other questions about this, feel free to contact me. I have had my share of headaches and done a lot of research. I'd be willing to save anyone from the trouble I went through.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I had an 07 FFL out of my house in a subdivision in Marion county. It was some headaches to get the county to approve a home occupation of gunsmithing, and they were VERY ignorant but in the end I succeeded. I didn't manufacture firearms, but my agent told me that I had to be an 07 to refinish firearms.... not the case and I ended up knowing more about the laws of FFL's than he did but either way he said I had to have an 07 so that's what I got. Only difference in my case since I wasn't manufacturing was filling out an form that lists how many firearms of which type I manufactured and how many I exported. A bunch of 0's on that paper is all that was needed. I also had to fill out and sign some sort of EPA environmental form about a waste disposal plan, but that wasn't bad either and I figured I wasn't a big enough fish for them to really look into it.

All and all an 07 is not much more of a headache unless you are actually manufacturing. Not sure why my agent said that reblueing firearms required an 07. Never did get my 50 dollars reimbursed because I had already paid the 200 for the 01

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Had to submit a hand drawing of my house and highlight the area that would be dedicated to my business to ensure it would be less than 20 percent of the square footage.... and put on a piece of paper signed by me, that I would have no more than 5 rounds of ammunition of any type on location that was for business purposes.... "all the ammo I had on site was for personal use" a few other things to, it was a royal PITA.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    like i said 2700 a year do you what your wanting to do.......1.you want insurance just in case you get robbed and someones 1000 gun is missing then it's not out of your pocket...... 2. just in case something gose wrong with your work....god for bid......:twocents:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You don't need insurance unless you have wealth to protect. Most small-town smiths aren't wealthy. Fuggedaboutit.

Buy a good safe. Bolt it down.

The interesting thing about firearms and product liability is that people are forever messing with and stripping down their firearms. Forensics in the cases I'm aware of (gunsmith or operator negligence) always have gone against the nut behind the wheel.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    liability and inventory on the business.....you will have to get a merchant license and collect sales tax.....you need to show your a legit business or you won't get the FFL....

Top Bottom