• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I like to camp and have always wanted an RV. I'm thinking about buying a class B, since I don't have anything that would pull a big camper. Probably going used, to avoid that big depreciation factor. Also, I'm 56 years old and I don't own my home. I want something, if push came to shove, that I could live in long term. Just me and the (big) dog.

Do any of you currently live in an RV long term?? Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    I have a class a for sale....I think 30' Winnie all the bells and whistles. everything works and looks great. it a 2000 with a ford 460 gas, about 11mpg. if your interested let me know and maybe I can get you some pics and a good price.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Personally I could live in one easy. Me and the miss and a dog.

Then again I lived in a surf shop in Florida for a yeAr sleeping on a futon watching black and white tv and showering outside.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You're definitely on the right track with going used.

Look for 1-2 years old at most. Seriously.

And private seller.

Older than that, unless they were used very very very little and stored indoors....will really show their age and will probably leave you questioning their structural integrity and interior mechanical's sound-ness.

-J-

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I've been doing some research and I guess my biggest stumbling block is being too cold in the winter. I keep reading that I'll need a "4 seasons" rig, since most of them don't have much insulation otherwise.

I have a class a for sale....I think 30' Winnie all the bells and whistles. everything works and looks great. it a 2000 with a ford 460 gas, about 11mpg. if your interested let me know and maybe I can get you some pics and a good price.
    Not sure I can afford a class A Winnie, but I'd love to see it!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Are you sure about a Class B? They are little more than vans ....

Going up a modest class C is going to be much more comfortable.
    I'm really early on in my research, but at this point, I think so. It will just be me and the dog - maybe my son at times. A class B will generally be easier to drive and park and be cheaper. As long as it has a bathroom, I THINK I'll be good to go. But I could very well change my mind as my research continues...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The wife and I have toyed with the idea for years but never got serious about it. I have a friend who owns a commercial truck tire business. Most of his business is on semi tractors and trailers but I asked him about replacing tires on a RV. He said he has sold a lot of tires for RVs but has never seen one worn out. All of them have been dry-rotted. No doubt there are people who put a lot of miles on an RV but many buy one thinking they will get a lot of use out of it and never do.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Come to Quartzite, AZ in December-February and see a town of 2,000 go to a 100,000. RV's of every kind, size, price. They are mostly retired folks from up north looking for sunny warm winter and cheap living.
    lost

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    We had a Class A 32' for seven years. Roomy enough for two but a real pain to drive, especially in heavy traffic or wind/rain. Best mpg was about 8, lot's less in hills/mountains. Ours was a Fleetwood. Would NEVER buy another Fleetwood product. Lot's of maintenance done that shouldn't have been necessary. With the ongoing maintenance, insurance, storage and high gas prices we decided to unload it. After seven years we got about 30% of what we had in it. Tried to talk the wife into trying a B but she was dead against it. I thought it would work as lots easier to drive, you don't have to tow a car, and would do better on gas. Hate to say it but IMO best deal is buy from a widow who had it less than a couple years and husband dies. Good luck.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I have owned 2 rvs 2001 Holiday Rambler 1 slide gas 38' and a 39' 2008 Damon Outlaw Toy hauler (12' garage in back)
    The Holiday Rambler had better overall quality in everything, problem was tvs had to be updated to flatpanels. Either one was a money pit as far as maintenance, insurance, registration goes. However I will buy another one.
    A class B is a large van, if it has a bathroom it is very small and I doubt there is a shower. Most Class Cs drive like a truck. However for pure camping a truck towing a camper is hard to beat especially if you want to make a supply run.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Well if you are wanting to live in something, I'd go with a Class A or C. Like others have said, B's are basically large vans. Nothing wrong with them, just not something most people want to live in. Although I do believe class B's get the best gas mileage. The shear room and extra storage you get with an A or B will be worth it.

A little background on my experience with motorhomes. My parents bought their first one when I was 9 and we have had one ever since. Started out with a 30ft fleetwood and traded up a little time afterwards. We currently have a 2002 38' Fleetwood Pace Arrow that my parents bought brand new. It has every bell and whistle they come with. My parents bought it to do a lot of traveling when I got older but unfortunately my father passed away before that could happen. You could live it in and be more comfortable than some apartments. We still go on decent little trips but mainly just go camping to fish and for boating. I have been driving it since I was 16.

Class A's are not a pain to drive if you ask me. The main thing is to plan your route before you get on the road. Know what way your going to take out of town and which high ways you want to take. We average about 7mpg cruising down the highway with the genny running. It pulls a vehicle just fine. We have not had to do much maintenance to ours, and we store it outside. If you get a quality motorhome, they are built to last. Just last year I had a person ask if we just bought it. As far as the winter, don't worry about a motorhome's piping if your living in it. They told us with ours that if the motorhome was warm, so were the pipes. Ours is heated by LP, so you could hook it up to a larger tank if you were at a permanent spot. But id suggest using those oil radiant heaters and that way you'll save on LP and they keep ours warm.

If I were you, I would look at a used motorhome. The saying you get what you pay for could not be more true when it comes to RV's. You could go get a cheap one, but its worth it to spend the little extra cash. Craigslist is your best friend right now for RV's. Also, look to buy in off season. You'll save huge. November to February is when you wanna look to buy.

Many people do retire or just choose to live in motorhomes. Its a perfectly good idea for someone to do, and they'll probably enjoy life more. If you have any more questions about motorhomes, just give me a PM. Id be willing to answer anything you might need answered. Ive read up on motorhomes a lot and consider myself pretty knowledgable about them. I grew up going out in one just about every weekend during the summer, have drove one for 1000's of miles, and can't get enough of camping in it. Seriously, in big purchases like this you need to ask tons of questions and gather as much information as possible. So ask lots of questions and go to dealerships and annoy them to death about stuff. It will pay off.

Top Bottom