Things to look for when purchasing a used gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midwestmobster

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I am very new to gun ownership and I'm wondering what I should be looking for (defect wise) when purchasing a used gun (semi-auto pistol, ar15, and revolvers)? This would be a private seller purchase as I see better deals on here sometimes and may be interested in a purchase.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    WOW! That's a tall order.

First off, if dealing with the vast majority of INGO members, you have nothing to worry about.

For buying from non-INGO members, my recommendation is that before you start buying firearms, by yourself, you spend some time with a friend who has the same or similar firearm and get to know the manual of arms for that firearm. Maybe even learn how to field strip it for cleaning and shoot it a bit. After you know how it works, you'll be better versed in what to look for when buying. This applies to both new and used purchases.

OR ... you can do what most of us do and just buy what you want and can afford and learn from your mistakes.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Look for wear marks, both inside and outside to give you a feel of how much the firearm has been used.
    Check function and verify that the weapon is working properly.
    Check used prices online to determine if the asking price is reasonable.
    Good luck

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Usually barrel wear, and bolt face are the two things I look at for semi autos. See if the slide moves freely.
    Check the lock up of the cylinder on revolvers and barrel if you can.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    First off, I’m no expert. Secondly, this isn’t intended to be an exhaustive list. Finally, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I’d suggest also searching YouTube or Rumble for videos that would better explain anything I‘m going to mention.

First, safety: when handed a gun, make sure it’s unloaded. If you’re unsure how to check, ask the seller to show you how to open/rack it and check it. Get in the habit of checking a gun each and every time you pick it up…even if you set it down 2 minutes ago, after checking it.

Generally, do an overall condition check. Look for rust, broken/missing parts, etc. Look at the sites. Are they there? Do they seem to be aligned, in good condition?

Ask the seller if you can dry fire the weapon. For rimfires, it’s not a good idea to do that. They will probably tell you no.

For revolvers, check to make sure the cylinder locks up well. Look for crack in the cylinder swing out arm. For semi-automatics, cycle the action. Does it seem normal? Does it bind up? Function check it.

Hope that helps.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Always a plus if you can shoot it before you buy. That's the case with anything you are considering. Glock and their clones as well as platforms like S&W M&P are very durable and reliable. I've never considered or asked how many rounds through a Glock. If the answer is 10000 it may need a new RSA for $10 but quality guns are rarely "shot out".

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Do your research into the make/model you want. Cultivate a friend with the same interests who knows more/is a second set of eyes , go to the shops and the shows and just look, ask questions, get a phone number, but observe, listen, look & learn.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    They can all be different. Take revolvers for example. Cylinder alignment, lock up, end shake, timing are all things you don't need to
    worry about with a semi auto or AR. Those have their own things to look for. Research and help are your friends.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am very new to gun ownership and I'm wondering what I should be looking for (defect wise) when purchasing a used gun (semi-auto pistol, ar15, and revolvers)? This would be a private seller purchase as I see better deals on here sometimes and may be interested in a purchase.

No offense, but if you want folks to sell you their used guns, you might want to think about changing your user name?

While cute, a controversial user name might stir up unwanted attention, should you ever be in any sort of questionable self defense shooting. You can bet that agencies with endless amounts of tax money funding will be researching every aspect about you and anyone you have interacted with.

:twocents:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    No offense, but if you want folks to sell you their used guns, you might want to think about changing your user name?

While cute, a controversial user name might stir up unwanted attention, should you ever be in any sort of questionable self defense shooting. You can bet that agencies with endless amounts of tax money funding will be researching every aspect about you and anyone you have interacted with.

:twocents:
    BW frame brings up a very valid point. And the internet is far from anonymous.

Top Bottom