• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm a big fan of the nasty tasty bits of animals.

I'm going cook some this weekend; I think hot and fast is the best strategy since there's no connective tissue to breakdown.

I'm going with cubes on skewers over hot charcoal - the same way I cook testicles.
    Heart is best medium rare. It is, after all, just steak. Hard working steak, but steak nonetheless. Gets to be more liver tasting cooked much past that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On the other hand, one thing I love that makes a lot of people go eeww is the "Liver sausage" that my family makes when butchering. It's more of a liver sausage and headcheese combo.

It consists of meat cooked off the bones and heads, the heart, the liver, pancreas, and whatever kidneys we don't eat straight out of the kettle. That all gets ground up with seasoning and stuffed in a beef casing and boiled in the kettle just long enough to cook the casing. It's great sliced cold on a cracker with dill pickles and onions.
    My family had similar atrocities when the family farm was still in full swing. I could never even look at head cheese after watching it being made.
    Blood pudding is another.
    Souse. Just shoot me OK.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I made two tongues this month - they came from a split beef purchase with the in-laws. They got the boring steaks (Tbones and such), and I got all the good stuff - tongue, liver, heart, brisket, spare ribs.

I simmered them for three hours (which made my wife nauseous) *. Then easily peeled the skin off. Still had some slight bumps, but nothing too off-putting.

Half the of the tongue went into a stir fry with spicy fermented bean sauce, Szechuan peppercorns, and Chinese rice wine for a spicy dish (very good), and the other half got cubed for the best tacos I've ever made. Remember to cook them in hot skillet to get a crispy edge on them for tacos.

* well actually I simmered a pound and a half of chicken gizzards first, then cooked those, and simmered the tongue for later. I just slow simmered it with a mirpois and other aromatics. It made a really good stock for soups later on.

As for the gizzards, I did an experiment - half simmered for an hour to tenderize, and the other half went into buttermilk overnight. I much preferred the latter technique as the fried batter crust was better, and they had a more ... uh, raw flavor.
    OK now I understand some things that used to be confusing.
    Your nuts.
    :wow:

Top Bottom