• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Who's had eaten cow tongue?

(Figured since this is INGO, I'd better be specific)
    I made two tongues this month - they came from a split beef purchase with the in-laws. They got the boring steaks (Tbones and such), and I got all the good stuff - tongue, liver, heart, brisket, spare ribs.

I simmered them for three hours (which made my wife nauseous) *. Then easily peeled the skin off. Still had some slight bumps, but nothing too off-putting.

Half the of the tongue went into a stir fry with spicy fermented bean sauce, Szechuan peppercorns, and Chinese rice wine for a spicy dish (very good), and the other half got cubed for the best tacos I've ever made. Remember to cook them in hot skillet to get a crispy edge on them for tacos.

* well actually I simmered a pound and a half of chicken gizzards first, then cooked those, and simmered the tongue for later. I just slow simmered it with a mirpois and other aromatics. It made a really good stock for soups later on.

As for the gizzards, I did an experiment - half simmered for an hour to tenderize, and the other half went into buttermilk overnight. I much preferred the latter technique as the fried batter crust was better, and they had a more ... uh, raw flavor.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ive heard its great on tacos.
    What's weird is that lingua is a premium at most taco joints. I don't know if it's the labor, or that raw material (i.e. the tongue) is more expensive.

I'm also a big fan of buche (pork stomach) tacos. (I'm also a connoisseur of beef tripe, honeycomb and feather, too)

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    I made two tongues this month - they came from a split beef purchase with the in-laws. They got the boring steaks (Tbones and such), and I got all the good stuff - tongue, liver, heart, brisket, spare ribs.

I simmered them for three hours (which made my wife nauseous) *. Then easily peeled the skin off. Still had some slight bumps, but nothing too off-putting.

Half the of the tongue went into a stir fry with spicy fermented bean sauce, Szechuan peppercorns, and Chinese rice wine for a spicy dish (very good), and the other half got cubed for the best tacos I've ever made. Remember to cook them in hot skillet to get a crispy edge on them for tacos.

* well actually I simmered a pound and a half of chicken gizzards first, then cooked those, and simmered the tongue for later. I just slow simmered it with a mirpois and other aromatics. It made a really good stock for soups later on.

As for the gizzards, I did an experiment - half simmered for an hour to tenderize, and the other half went into buttermilk overnight. I much preferred the latter technique as the fried batter crust was better, and they had a more ... uh, raw flavor.
    Ok, now I really want to be your friend and come to your house for dinner
    Heck, I’d be happy to get your leftovers through the kitchen window .

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, now I really want to be your friend and come to your house for dinner
    Heck, I’d be happy to get your leftovers through the kitchen window .
    I'm a big fan of the nasty tasty bits of animals.

I actually talked Mom into cooking heart one time. IIRC (it's been a LONG time ago) it was basically like super lean beef.
    I'm going cook some this weekend; I think hot and fast is the best strategy since there's no connective tissue to breakdown.

I'm going with cubes on skewers over hot charcoal - the same way I cook testicles.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    House we went to had a sewer back up. Flooded basement where furnace was.
    Guy had a bucket and was dumping in front and back yard. Was still in furnace and duct work.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You think Pepto is bad, Mom used to make me take Kaopektate. Just like liquid chalk, literally.

Ever taken that crap? :puke:
    Its been a long time but as I recall, when Kaopectate became necessary I wasn't too concerned with the taste! Both it and Pepto are not bad at all to me as far as the taste of medicine goes.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I like tongue, but not sure if I'd want to eat it if it came from a cow with two...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I tried this once, one nibble. Vile.

Looks and smells like something oozing out of road kill on a hot August day.

Once tried Ge Zi Tou (pigeon's head), beak and everything. Wasn't horrible but I wouldn't do it again...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Many many years ago when I was but a wee lad, my grandma used to cook it. Grandpa always cut an inch off of the tip saying, "that's the booger picker part. Don't want to eat that!"

I did eat some back then and remember not hating it.
    I haven’t had it for years. If I walked into my house with a cows tongue my wife would be out with no hesitation. She’s pretty partial to cows, being a city girl, she loves driving around in the country looking at cows :lmfao:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I almost smoked myself out of the crane at work the other day with my farts. I wish could remember what I ate because I could retire on selling those bad boys as chemical weapons.

Top Bottom