• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was able to get to the range this morning and ran a couple of boxes of .40 and .357 Sig through it along with some .357 Sig Gold Dots. No hiccups at all. Funny thing is that I started with .357 using the new barrel and after a mag or two, I was thinking that the recoil is mild but no more so than any other .40 I’ve shot target ammo through. Then, I switched to the .40 and it felt like 9mm by comparison. When first shooting, I had forgotten that I was shooting .357 for a moment. But, even shooting the Gold Dots did not feel any different than regular old .40 that I shoot a lot.

I’m really liking the E2 grips on this gun. I ordered a set of G10 Hogue’s, thinking that those are what I’d run more often than not but I might just send them back unopened. I like the E2 grips on my P229 but not as much as I like these on the P226. The Legion G10 grips feel better to me on the P229 but on the P226, the E2 grips feel just right.
    8fef0672f919415c85005a6070ff35d0.jpg

Jericho941Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2019
    Boone County
    So I generally hate promag products, the CZ 75 mags are awful in my experience, but I've had reasonably good experience with promag's steel mini-30 magazines. Has anyone tried them with the p365? I have a few of the OEM's but it would be cool to grab a few cheap range mags to have if they are reasonably reliable.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I decided to try the Hogue checkered G10 grips on the P226 today and they are a bit thicker than the stock plastic grips and about 1/8” thicker than the E2 grips. The E2 definitely feels better to me. But, I’m thinking that I’ll leave these on the gun because they feel exactly the same as the G10 grips on my P229 Legion.

The G10 grips feel very good but the E2 grips had that molded to your hand feel that you get with CZs. I’m going to leave them in place for a while because the Legion is my EDC now and these make the P226 feel just like the Legion does. At the end of this week, I’ll pick up some fresh night sights and call it done.

G10
    ba7ee988ae8618fee2555973a8728a2f.jpg

E2
    c5656ee0e7840cc26ec3b1a8dc4aeaed.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I’m toying with picking up P229 DAK. Anyone have one? Good or bad idea?
    All I can tell you is what I have read many times over at SigTalk over the years. I have never heard anyone, that wasn't required to carry a DAK by his job, that wanted one. I asked once how it compared to the H&K LEM, which a lot of people love and was told no comparison.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    All I can tell you is what I have read many times over at SigTalk over the years. I have never heard anyone, that wasn't required to carry a DAK by his job, that wanted one. I asked once how it compared to the H&K LEM, which a lot of people love and was told no comparison.

That would explain the lower price they command. From the GrayGuns armorer’s video, it sounds like it is just 7 parts from being convertible to a DA/SA though. My guess is those 7 parts are more expensive than the DAK discount you might see.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That would explain the lower price they command. From the GrayGuns armorer’s video, it sounds like it is just 7 parts from being convertible to a DA/SA though. My guess is those 7 parts are more expensive than the DAK discount you might see.
    That seems to be the general consensus.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Then again, when I bought my last LE trade in P226, I replaced 4 of those 7 parts as routine maintenance. 5 if you count adding the E2 grip which comes with a new decocker lever. But, even with that, it’s still $55 in parts for the trigger bar and sear spring which eats up the cost difference.

Unless installing the Gray Guns ELS trigger, which would make it a $5 difference in parts. You’d have a nice gun in the end but you’d be at or above $900 before sights, grips and a refinish. $1400 would finish it out unless a barrel was needed, which would take it up to $1550.

That’s new Legion money. If you could find one in .40 though

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    That’s new Legion money. If you could find one in .40 though

Sorry, I've not been online as much as I'd like - do you have any advice for which route to go for a 40 S&W /357 Sig P226? I think I have to sell my extra BPS (or my third Ithaca 20 gauge :crying: ) to fund such a project.

Chaplain

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Crawfordsville, IN
    From "That Gun" to Ooh La La!

From "That Gun" to Ooh La La!
    I had a Sig P226 Blackwater 9mm (DOM: April 2009) setting in my safe that I would not sell because of sentimental attachment but I rarely shot it for three main reasons:
    1.) Grip Size
    2.) Trigger Reach
    3.) Unimpressive trigger pull
    I have fat hands with short fingers which explains my grip and trigger reach complaints. As for trigger pull, well, I am becoming a trigger snob - helped along by years of shooting 1911's and more recently the magical talents of our own CZ Wizard.

In October I decided that some upgrades were in order for this Blackwater Safe Queen so I went online and ordered parts:
    Sig Sauer:
    E2 Grip Upgrade
    GRAYGUNS:
    Enhanced Leverage System
    Short Reset Trigger
    Fat Custom Strut System
    Armory Craft:
    Skeletonized Hammer

Referencing the Grayguns Armorer's Instructional DVD, I carefully installed and function tested all of the above parts. I made the personal choice to install a 17# main hammer spring instead of the 19# (I have extra 19# springs, if needed). Everything seemed to be in order, so I fired 2 magazines (30 rds.) of Federal Syntech 150 grain 9mm with no malfunctions of any kind. I did not shoot for accuracy, just function.
    Recognizing that I am a bit prejudiced in my evaluation, I asked the CZ Wizard to check it out for a few days and let me know what he thought. I think he liked it, HOWEVER, he mentioned that he had a couple of rounds that required a second strike to fire (I do not know what ammo he used). SO, I may need to install a 19# main hammer spring. I cannot speak for the Wizard so I hope he will share his honest, unbiased, and experienced opinion of this handgun.
    Folks, I am BLOWN AWAY by the results! Even my wife (who dislikes DA/SA) wants to shoot this handgun after dry firing it.
    I am guessing the DA is somewhere between 6-7 lbs. and the SA is a little over 3 lbs. The trigger reset is unbelievably short with no take up. The trigger pull feels smooth as butter to my carpal tunnel damaged nerves. The trigger reach is okay for my short fingers - it feels longer than my CZ's, but still comfortable. The E2 grip, although not pretty, feels molded to my hand, kind of like my CZ's (as described by 88). This handgun looks much better when sporting the black wooden Blackwater Logo grips but I have to go with practical function and, in that, I am well pleased with the E2's.
    Enough talk - picture time:

DSC_5299.jpg

DSC_5302.jpg

View attachment DSC_5293.jpg

DSC_5310.jpg

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    I have shot a couple 226's and finger fondled many when I worked at the LGS and was have been impressed with the Legion's trigger & short reset. My friend Chaplain stopped by for a visit to show me his Sig 226 after he made it's transformation with new parts. I checked it out and said I would like to shoot it sometime. He left it with me to shoot and I hit the range the next day to check it out. Although I did not shoot it on paper it proved to be an awesome falling plate killer! On my first round of 12 plates I think I hit 9 with bullet strikes just a little left of center on all of my hits at 7 yds. I was firing Blazer brass and Sellier & Bellott and had a couple light strikes that did fire with a second DA pull and it was probably the S & B ammo now that I think about it. He had mentioned it had the 17lbs mainspring in it so I figured it would be cured with the 19lbs if he had light strikes with his ammo. The trigger is buttery smooth on the DA with an excellent crisp breaking SA and the reset is a smidge shorter than my tricked out CZ's. For the record even though CZ's are my go to I did ask him how much $$$$ before giving it back to him! I think it is a keeper!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for sharing Chaplain. I just got an in-stock notification on the Gray Guns ELS for the P series. I have been trying to decide whether or not I need to do this after getting the older P226 running smoothly. Your posts kinda make that decision easy.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Previous P226 Legion DA/SA owner here. Buttery smooth trigger right out of the box. I don't like how "chunky" the grip feels to me, kinda like a Beretta M9/92. Now a P229 Legion gets my attention a little more. But I dove down the P320 hole. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If anyone is thinking of ordering from Gray Guns, they have a 10% BF deal right now. No code needed as the discount is automatically applied at checkout.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Previous P226 Legion DA/SA owner here. Buttery smooth trigger right out of the box. I don't like how "chunky" the grip feels to me, kinda like a Beretta M9/92. Now a P229 Legion gets my attention a little more. But I dove down the P320 hole. :)

The E2 grips give the gun a very CZ like feel. The E2 comes with a new decocker lever, hammer strut and spring guide that moves the hammer spring down lower in the grip, giving the E2 more room to work with towards the top of the grip to make them more comfortable.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The E2 grips give the gun a very CZ like feel. The E2 comes with a new decocker lever, hammer strut and spring guide that moves the hammer spring down lower in the grip, giving the E2 more room to work with towards the top of the grip to make them more comfortable.
    E2 are thinner than the Legion grips?

Top Bottom