• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I chose the older series of Sigs because I wanted the feel of metal back in my hand. Plus, I've always liked a hammer, and Sig's decocker system .... it just made sense to me.

Returning to metal handguns has been a part of the reason for me too. How a P226 or P229 shoots .40 and .357 is the main reason though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Picked up a 365 first, and loved it with the 12 round mags in it. Loved how it carried & shot which is not usually the case for me (it's one or the other). 365 shots like a much bigger gun, but carries much smaller.

After that, had been watching the 320 X-Compacts with interest and when one came up in the classies for a good price, I had to give it a go as well. Love the modularity (I have WC grip modules on them now), the ergos and how well it shot.

My son has a full size P320 in .45 as his nightstand gun. It’s a nice shooter.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Returning to metal handguns has been a part of the reason for me too. How a P226 or P229 shoots .40 and .357 is the main reason though.

I'd like to shoot something in 357 sig. I traded out of all my .40 handguns some time back, and never went the .357 caliber swap path, as I wanted to consolidate. Probably should have done it just to have the capabilities. I may have to try and get a caliber exchange kit for the 320 and be able to shoot 9, 40 & 357, but due to the need for complete slide, etc those are not particularly cheap.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'd like to shoot something in 357 sig. I traded out of all my .40 handguns some time back, and never went the .357 caliber swap path, as I wanted to consolidate. Probably should have done it just to have the capabilities. I may have to try and get a caliber exchange kit for the 320 and be able to shoot 9, 40 & 357, but due to the need for complete slide, etc those are not particularly cheap.

My P229 was a .40 to start with. I found it 'used' at Bradis, but it looked almost brand new. Out of curiosity, I purchased a factory Sig barrel in 357Sig. From the first moment that I shot 357 through it, I was hooked. There's just something about the recoil impulse that feels just right. The ballistics of the round are superb, and it's been reliable with every brand & type of 357 ammo that I've put through the pistol.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My P229 was a .40 to start with. I found it 'used' at Bradis, but it looked almost brand new. Out of curiosity, I purchased a factory Sig barrel in 357Sig. From the first moment that I shot 357 through it, I was hooked. There's just something about the recoil impulse that feels just right. The ballistics of the round are superb, and it's been reliable with every brand & type of 357 ammo that I've put through the pistol.
    The .357 Sig recoil out of a P226 feels like a. 45 to me. Softer and more of a rolling push than the .40

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The .357 Sig recoil out of a P226 feels like a. 45 to me. Softer and more of a rolling push than the .40

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've kept my P226 as a .40, but imagine that the increased weight (over a P229) makes for an excellent 357 shooter ! :yesway:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've kept my P226 as a .40, but imagine that the increased weight (over a P229) makes for an excellent 357 shooter ! :yesway:
    I kinda went the opposite and run my P229 as a .40 and the P226 with the .357 Sig. The .357 Sig should have less recoil than the .40, so it would make more sense to run the .40 in the P226 and the .357 Sig in the P229. This is not the first thing that I've gotten ass backwards

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I kinda went the opposite and run my P229 as a .40 and the P226 with the .357 Sig. The .357 Sig should have less recoil than the .40, so it would make more sense to run the .40 in the P226 and the .357 Sig in the P229. This is not the first thing that I've gotten ass backwards

I think we're both good-to-go ! :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Christmas Day I learned that SIG M18s can fail after being reassembled for cleaning. Likely bum heat treat.

133272509_10224935827248540_131243628579050453_o.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    CDNN has a pair of CPO P226's on GB right now. They had a pair that ended last night and they went for just over $700. These look like the CPO P229 that I bought in that they look like brand new pistols. $700 is not bad for a P226 in .40 that comes with the factory warranty.

I was bidding on one of them last night but with 2 P226s in the family right now, I didn't want a third enough to chase it over the $700 mark.
    P226 CPO on GB

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Added those to my watch list. Apparently mine was delivered. I'll pick it up from the FFL shortly. Now, just need Gray Guns parts to come back in stock.

Any preference in GrayGuns or Wolff springs for the P226? Wolff has that whole calibration pack of sorts.

CDNN did have some magazines including a couple of sigs for $10/ea. Including P250/320 sub compact (380 acp, 40SW/357Sig, 45 acp), P290 (380 acp). Didn't include the P226 in 40SW/357Sig or the P250 compact that I could see.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Been thinking about a p365 variant for the Mrs. RH. Possibly even for myself.

Now that Sig has worked out the kinks that were found early in the design, you don’t hear much negative about them. I’d have one already if I had not already been invested in the P938 series. The couple of times I’ve shot one, I was impressed with how good it felt given the size.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I love Sig, not a fan boy though, but usually great firearms. I have to say though, lately their quality and checks seem to be lackluster. I'm starting to get more disappointed each issue i hear about. The P320 issue when that started, I was like, eh, its a weird issue I can see why they didn't know about it. But after that it's been a flood of issues, pistols and rifles. Kinda sad about it, disappointed too. They have, can and should do better.

Chaplain

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Crawfordsville, IN
    INGO_SIG_P226_PAIR.jpg

Ooh La La – Part II

Recently, I posted about upgrading my P226 Blackwater here:
    I was so pleased with the results that I could not resist the impulse to upgrade my beautiful:
    Sig Sauer P226 Stainless Elite (DOM: December 2014) purchased through INGO (November 2016).
    Upgrade Parts List:
    Sig Sauer:
    E2 Grip Upgrade
    GRAYGUNS:
    Enhanced Leverage System Trigger
    Short Reset Trigger Kit
    Fat Custom Strut System
    Custom Fat Stainless Steel Guide Rod
    Armory Craft:
    Skeletonized Hammer

FYI: Some of you may remember that I was waiting for Grayguns to restock their SRT Kit, but when it became apparent that they would not restock prior to the end of their 10% off sale, I impatiently purchased from an alternate source: Rainier Arms. Rainier sells Grayguns’ parts at the same price as the GG website, plus they shipped my part out super-fast!

My thoughts on parts selection:
    Sig E2 Grip –
    When compared to the factory wood grips, especially Rosewood, the E2 grips are not very attractive and the thin plastic (IMHO) cheapens the presentation of what I consider to be higher end firearms. However, the E2 grips are contoured perfectly for my hands plus I can manage fire control without a short reach trigger. In my hands, function outweighs style.
    Grayguns Parts – I know the GG parts are very expensive, and I am not a wealthy person, but I believe the ELS and SRT are both worth the price. The SRT is machined from solid bar stock (not MIM) making a drop-in part that is highly polished while maintaining near perfect fit and function. Yes, I can, and I have polished my own gun parts however, hammers and sears are critical parts that deserve respect and caution. Both of my P226’s received the Fat Custom Hammer Strut and the SS Elite also got a Custom Fat SS Guide Rod – are they worth it, or are these parts just hype? Who knows, but they are highly polished and the springs fit nicely without slop. Also, the Fat Hammer Strut includes a replacement sear spring that feels lighter than the factory Sig spring. One final thought: I do miss having a short reach trigger and if Bruce Gray figures out how to combine a short reach with his ELS, then I will probably upgrade again.
    Armory Craft Skeletonized Hammer – I personally think Sig makes one of the ugliest hammers that can be found on a handgun. While searching for a more appealing hammer and researching trigger upgrades, I stumbled upon a post at Calguns.net:
    According to this post, the Armory Craft hammer removed trigger creep that other parts (including GG) had left in the ignition system.
    I like the idea that a lighter hammer should allow the use of a lighter hammer spring to reduce trigger pull. Plus, this hammer is made from hardened tool steel (not MIM) and, like the GG parts, it is highly polished.
    The Stainless Elite has not been range tested yet. I hope to be posting a range report in the near future including the use of assorted ammo looking for light strikes. Because of a couple of light strikes in the Blackwater, I put a 19# hammer spring in the Elite. The 17# spring will remain in the Blackwater until I test more ammo in it.
    I have a cheap RCBS Trigger Pull Gauge (spring operated) and spent some time comparing the trigger pull on these handguns. Here are the condensed RCBS gauge results:
    SS Elite w/ 19# Hammer Spring D/A: 6.5+ lbs; S/A: 2.5 lbs
    Blackwater w/ 17# Hammer Spring D/A: 6 lbs; S/A: 2.5 lbs
    Both triggers feel virtually identical in all ways except for a slight increase in the double action pull weight of the Elite caused by the heavier hammer spring. Both triggers are buttery smooth with no stacking in double action. Single action has some slack to take up from full reset. However, the short reset is ridiculously short with NO take up at all.
    Both guns still sport the factory night sights, but I plan to change those in the future. Thanks to 88 for helping me take a look at Night Fision sights. I’ll be trying those on at least one of these handguns. I am looking forward to range time with both of these impressive handguns. Will they replace my 1911’s or my CZ’s? I seriously doubt it…however, I fully expect them to fully earn their place in the mix.

Someday I may ask Churchmouse or AllenM to add their special touch to my 1911’s. The CZ Wizard has lovingly worked his magic on all of my CZ 75’s. And although I only used drop-in parts and did not do any true gunsmithing, I can proudly hold my head up knowing that I took two quality Sig safe queens and turned them into really fun shooters that fit in my hands and in my heart.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom