• ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Thanks for the link JEB, thats what I was looking for
    Great. Good luck with it! I will be outfitting my new(-to-me) P226 with parts as soon as GreyGuns gets them back in stock - so I hope to have a realistic report on it one of these days.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I’m seeing the ELS triggers in stock right now on the GG site. Which one are you looking for?
    I was going to do the ELS trigger, SRT kit (I think this is out of stock at the moment), fat strut. I figured if I'm ordering, may as well order the whole shebang. Need to remove the grips and check the frame style before ordering the ELS. Some of the discussions over at the Sig Talk forum say that the Sig SRT kit when polished is on par with the GG SRT kit. I still need to do up my CZ P-09. Polishing internals makes me a little nervous, but it'll be some needed experience.

How difficult was it to get along without the armorer's DVDs? They delivered them quite late to you, iirc.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was going to do the ELS trigger, SRT kit (I think this is out of stock at the moment), fat strut. I figured if I'm ordering, may as well order the whole shebang. Need to remove the grips and check the frame style before ordering the ELS. Some of the discussions over at the Sig Talk forum say that the Sig SRT kit when polished is on par with the GG SRT kit. I still need to do up my CZ P-09. Polishing internals makes me a little nervous, but it'll be some needed experience.

How difficult was it to get along without the armorer's DVDs? They delivered them quite late to you, iirc.
    The armorers video is interesting and nice to have but not absolutely needed. Download the Sig factory armorers manual and you have 90% of the information. There are some good tips in the video but nothing earth shattering.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Well, went ahead and ordered the GG adjustable trigger. Watched some videos and this one seemed to perform better.
    I hope you like it!

The armorers video is interesting and nice to have but not absolutely needed. Download the Sig factory armorers manual and you have 90% of the information. There are some good tips in the video but nothing earth shattering.
    Okay, great. Thanks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I got the GG trigger and fat strut kits in today. They took maybe a half hour to swap out and my DA pull is down to right at 8 lbs with a tad over 3 on SA. This is using the 19# blue spring that the kit comes with. No adjustments needed on my gun for the trigger.

One thing that was a bit funny was that I was having trouble removing the trigger bar. Those can take some finesse to remove on some guns. After messing around for 5 minutes, I turned the gun over and was looking to see if I could move the hammer a bit to make room and before I could even mess with the hammer, the trigger assembly fell right out on its own. The new one went in just as easy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Sig Armorers video is where exactly? All I can find is an owners manual on Sigs site.

it’s a video that’s sold through GrayGuns. It’s about 90 minutes of Bruce Gray talking you through how to disassemble , inspect and maintain the Sig P22x series of firearms. It’s a good video but it’s not required for working on a Sig

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I should add, the video took a long time to arrive through no fault of Grayguns. It sat in postal limbo for almost 2 weeks during the holiday rush

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I should add, the video took a long time to arrive through no fault of Grayguns. It sat in postal limbo for almost 2 weeks during the holiday rush
    it’s a video that’s sold through GrayGuns. It’s about 90 minutes of Bruce Gray talking you through how to disassemble , inspect and maintain the Sig P22x series of firearms. It’s a good video but it’s not required for working on a Sig
    Thanks 88, been watching a few videos to get the feel of the makeup of the insides.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Sold my Browning BPS last weekend. Turned around and spent the lion's share of that on P226 upgrades this morning. Between Osage and Gray Guns, I was able to get the GG ELS, GG Fat Strut, GG SRT, and the GG stainless guide rod. Osage had the SRT kit, while GG did not. Thanks for the insight, y'all.

Previous owner chewed up one of the grip screws and my Chapman hollow-ground tip set couldn't do the job on that screw. Sadly, Osage is out of stock on replace grip screws for the P226. I'll replace that screw at some point. Maybe will just replace the grips altogether. Sights and grips are the a future issue. Something I'll do if I ever get a lathe and set up a home shop is move away from flathead screws for gun use (as least, to the extent possible). These used guns all have scars and ruined screws from people using improper tools on them.

For anyone considering the P226 & DIY upgrade route, here's what I've got in it so far:
    $550 for the gun & shipping, $20 for the transfer, $150 Osage, $180 GG, giving
    $900 total before sights, grips, or aftermarket hammer.

This particular pistol came in .357 Sig out the gate, which saved my from having to buy a second barrel to put it into .357 Sig. The finish on it is nearly perfect. Just a couple small spots on top, so no refinish costs for the foreseeable future. A small patch of dark orange on the top of the feed ramp. Doesn't look pitted and should clean up nicely. Looks barely used.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sold my Browning BPS last weekend. Turned around and spent the lion's share of that on P226 upgrades this morning. Between Osage and Gray Guns, I was able to get the GG ELS, GG Fat Strut, GG SRT, and the GG stainless guide rod. Osage had the SRT kit, while GG did not. Thanks for the insight, y'all.

Previous owner chewed up one of the grip screws and my Chapman hollow-ground tip set couldn't do the job on that screw. Sadly, Osage is out of stock on replace grip screws for the P226. I'll replace that screw at some point. Maybe will just replace the grips altogether. Sights and grips are the a future issue. Something I'll do if I ever get a lathe and set up a home shop is move away from flathead screws for gun use (as least, to the extent possible). These used guns all have scars and ruined screws from people using improper tools on them.

For anyone considering the P226 & DIY upgrade route, here's what I've got in it so far:
    $550 for the gun & shipping, $20 for the transfer, $150 Osage, $180 GG, giving
    $900 total before sights, grips, or aftermarket hammer.

This particular pistol came in .357 Sig out the gate, which saved my from having to buy a second barrel to put it into .357 Sig. The finish on it is nearly perfect. Just a couple small spots on top, so no refinish costs for the foreseeable future. A small patch of dark orange on the top of the feed ramp. Doesn't look pitted and should clean up nicely. Looks barely used.

Sounds like a fun project. I’m hoping to run my P226 for the first time since doing the GG upgrades tomorrow. I hope this one turned out as nice as the P226R I did a month or so back.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I got to run the 226 down at HHRP today and while I could only budget 50 rounds through it, I’m am loving the new trigger. This is the gun I paid $420 for and between grips and parts, I’m already close to $800 in it but the result is fantastic for a carry gun.

The trigger is smooth and clean. DA breaks right at 8# with a 3# SA. This will never give a 1911 trigger a run for it’s money but it’s a fantastic carry trigger. The gun points well and is easy to shoot.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    The Grey Guns trigger transplant was a success. Was able to adjust out a considerable amount of take up. Still retained the nice reset. Put several rounds downrange today, big difference. Thanks again guys!

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The Grey Guns trigger transplant was a success. Was able to adjust out a considerable amount of take up. Still retained the nice reset. Put several rounds downrange today, big difference. Thanks again guys!
    Glad you like it! I'm hoping to get mine in the mail today or tomorrow. I handled a used legion at the gun shop, the trigger pull was noticeably better than my P226R stock. Hoping the GG parts will make up the difference.

Looked up the serial on my P226 against some of the known dated guns. Seems to be a US assembled model from 2010-11. Hard to believe it's 10 years old from glancing at it with the grips off. Managed to find Hogue grip screws that use an Allen wrench, ordered those along with some other parts. Hopefully arriving this week, too.

Top Bottom