Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    View attachment 106054

Ooh La La – Part II

Recently, I posted about upgrading my P226 Blackwater here:
    I was so pleased with the results that I could not resist the impulse to upgrade my beautiful:
    Sig Sauer P226 Stainless Elite (DOM: December 2014) purchased through INGO (November 2016).
    Upgrade Parts List:
    Sig Sauer:
    E2 Grip Upgrade
    GRAYGUNS:
    Enhanced Leverage System Trigger
    Short Reset Trigger Kit
    Fat Custom Strut System
    Custom Fat Stainless Steel Guide Rod
    Armory Craft:
    Skeletonized Hammer

FYI: Some of you may remember that I was waiting for Grayguns to restock their SRT Kit, but when it became apparent that they would not restock prior to the end of their 10% off sale, I impatiently purchased from an alternate source: Rainier Arms. Rainier sells Grayguns’ parts at the same price as the GG website, plus they shipped my part out super-fast!

My thoughts on parts selection:
    Sig E2 Grip –
    When compared to the factory wood grips, especially Rosewood, the E2 grips are not very attractive and the thin plastic (IMHO) cheapens the presentation of what I consider to be higher end firearms. However, the E2 grips are contoured perfectly for my hands plus I can manage fire control without a short reach trigger. In my hands, function outweighs style.
    Grayguns Parts – I know the GG parts are very expensive, and I am not a wealthy person, but I believe the ELS and SRT are both worth the price. The SRT is machined from solid bar stock (not MIM) making a drop-in part that is highly polished while maintaining near perfect fit and function. Yes, I can, and I have polished my own gun parts however, hammers and sears are critical parts that deserve respect and caution. Both of my P226’s received the Fat Custom Hammer Strut and the SS Elite also got a Custom Fat SS Guide Rod – are they worth it, or are these parts just hype? Who knows, but they are highly polished and the springs fit nicely without slop. Also, the Fat Hammer Strut includes a replacement sear spring that feels lighter than the factory Sig spring. One final thought: I do miss having a short reach trigger and if Bruce Gray figures out how to combine a short reach with his ELS, then I will probably upgrade again.
    Armory Craft Skeletonized Hammer – I personally think Sig makes one of the ugliest hammers that can be found on a handgun. While searching for a more appealing hammer and researching trigger upgrades, I stumbled upon a post at Calguns.net:
    According to this post, the Armory Craft hammer removed trigger creep that other parts (including GG) had left in the ignition system.
    I like the idea that a lighter hammer should allow the use of a lighter hammer spring to reduce trigger pull. Plus, this hammer is made from hardened tool steel (not MIM) and, like the GG parts, it is highly polished.
    The Stainless Elite has not been range tested yet. I hope to be posting a range report in the near future including the use of assorted ammo looking for light strikes. Because of a couple of light strikes in the Blackwater, I put a 19# hammer spring in the Elite. The 17# spring will remain in the Blackwater until I test more ammo in it.
    I have a cheap RCBS Trigger Pull Gauge (spring operated) and spent some time comparing the trigger pull on these handguns. Here are the condensed RCBS gauge results:
    SS Elite w/ 19# Hammer Spring D/A: 6.5+ lbs; S/A: 2.5 lbs
    Blackwater w/ 17# Hammer Spring D/A: 6 lbs; S/A: 2.5 lbs
    Both triggers feel virtually identical in all ways except for a slight increase in the double action pull weight of the Elite caused by the heavier hammer spring. Both triggers are buttery smooth with no stacking in double action. Single action has some slack to take up from full reset. However, the short reset is ridiculously short with NO take up at all.
    Both guns still sport the factory night sights, but I plan to change those in the future. Thanks to 88 for helping me take a look at Night Fision sights. I’ll be trying those on at least one of these handguns. I am looking forward to range time with both of these impressive handguns. Will they replace my 1911’s or my CZ’s? I seriously doubt it…however, I fully expect them to fully earn their place in the mix.

Someday I may ask Churchmouse or AllenM to add their special touch to my 1911’s. The CZ Wizard has lovingly worked his magic on all of my CZ 75’s. And although I only used drop-in parts and did not do any true gunsmithing, I can proudly hold my head up knowing that I took two quality Sig safe queens and turned them into really fun shooters that fit in my hands and in my heart.

Great write up Chaplain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    New parts are inbound for the most recent P226. I ordered a GG ELS hybrid trigger and the fat strut for this one. There are still a handful of springs that I want to replace as well as getting the gun Cerakote in Sig gray. Eventually, it will get new sights but the ones on it still have some life in them so no hurry there.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I didn’t know that Sig produced the Legion in anything but black or Gray. It looks really good in that color combo.
    Thanks, I'm not really sure what color it is. They called it cement. I'll have to run it thru the paces tomorrow and see how it does. Trigger seems to be not as crisp as my 229 was but it was a DA/SA.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are a bunch of Sigs tempting me right now. While down at USDS in Greenwood, I saw that they have a used P224 in 9mm and a new M11-A1 in stock. The M11 sure would be interesting to add to the collection but I already have a 9mm P229 Elite.

Plus, I just ordered a Sig 716i which put my gun fund distinctly in the red until I can sell a couple of things

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yeah... I caught the bug and I’m down with the “Sig”ness. I even got the xtra Legion strain.

I got bit hard with the Signess in October. Since then, I’ve added 2 P226s, a 229 Elite and 229 Legion. All are in .40 except for the P229 Elite but I have a .40 slide for that one. There are .357 sig barrels for them too.

pjfan29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    Boone County
    There are a bunch of Sigs tempting me right now. While down at USDS in Greenwood, I saw that they have a used P224 in 9mm and a new M11-A1 in stock. The M11 sure would be interesting to add to the collection but I already have a 9mm P229 Elite.

Plus, I just ordered a Sig 716i which put my gun fund distinctly in the red until I can sell a couple of things

Ooooooh, the 716i is that the complete upper they have on the site or the complete boomstick?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I did not like the P224, felt like it was as wide as it was long...
    The M11a1 is one of my favorite Sigs. Has the short reset trigger, no rail, coated internals.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    This for my Sig-ness friends-Put quite a few rds down range with 226 SA, exemplary piece of equipment. Why would they not put an adjustable trigger in this ? Take up is about a half a mile, reset and break are great though. Has anyone used Armorycraft triggers in these? Will I lose my SRT?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    This for my Sig-ness friends-Put quite a few rds down range with 226 SA, exemplary piece of equipment. Why would they not put an adjustable trigger in this ? Take up is about a half a mile, reset and break are great though. Has anyone used Armorycraft triggers in these? Will I lose my SRT?
    Seems like an overall positive feeling, but with some limitation on ensuring that the safety will engage:

Top Bottom