• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'California is a great example of this as they have a lot of electric vehicles owned there, but have rolling blackouts and other power issues showing that if electric cars were more heavily adopted, things would become much worse.
    Not just CA. There are better chances than ever before that we will experience blackouts here this summer—even without having gone full blown EV crazy, yet. You’re right about the infrastructure. We’re in a “managed decline”. And the part about all of this is them blowing smoke up my ***, claiming EVs will bring heaven on earth when I know they won’t. They’re not ready for widespread adoption yet. The infrastructure is not and it’s in worse shape today (at least generation-wise) than it’s ever been.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    If we were to pass a law that the manufacturers are responsible for the batteries from cradle to grave and their environmental impact for the next 200 years! What would happen to the EV market? This should have zero impact on a “green” centric manufacturer

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This is not only just a bad idea. It is the worst possible idea based on current EV tech.
    Current hybrid tech is probably advanced enough for military applications. Once again, the article mentions full EV by 2050, which is way beyond my scope of concern. I don't think that anyone reasonably thinks that full EVs for military applications are ready with today's tech.

Expected benefits of the system include increased on-board power, mobility, lethality options and range. The hybrid technology allows for improved fuel economy and increased range, and improved performance with no added Size, Weight and Power demands. The Army anticipates reduced fuel consumption of 20 percent, and with a smaller number of parts, vehicles with hybrid electric drive technology should be easier to maintain.

“There’s also the added benefit of silent watch,” said Mike Foster, lead of the RCCTO’s Rapid Acquisition Prototyping Project Office. “It provides a reduced heat signature and sound. Our performance goals are aimed at increasing acceleration, electrical power generation and increased range.”

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So how do you charge an EV tank or Humvee behind enemy lines? Especially after you have destroyed their infrastructure?

We are doomed.

Tanks won't be EV for a long time. Humvees, maybe, but they'll be hybrid first. First candidates are lightweight recon vehicles:

https://electrek.co/2021/12/25/army...motorbikes-for-airdrop-use-with-paratroopers/ is a pretty viable idea right now. The military isn't the civilian world and efficiency of cost is not a concern as much as efficiency of operation and ease of logistics. Lightweight vehicles with swappable battery packs would be air-droppable for both deployment and 'refueling'. You don't recharge any more than you recharge radio batteries. You swap them. Helo can bring a battery pack to places a fuel truck sure ain't going to handle, and you aren't driving liquid fuel to a deployed recon unit.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    Seriously on point here. I had a Mustang Mach-E. It was fast! I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't buy it to "save the environment". I bought it because I thought it would save money. My wife loved it but after 4 months of use, I'd had enough. My family lives in grant county. I'd leave my garage in NW Indy with 100% charge. Go 1 hour drive at most trips normal speed. By the time I left grant county I'd get back to Hamilton Towne center and be at 18%. Luckily that was the only charging station between me and home. I'd have to sit there for an hour just to reach about 80% then go home. We're told to keep it plugged in when not in use in the cold months. My wife would forget and the next day I would have to go to the nearest place and charge for an hour. Because we didn't have the fast charger set up yet. The nearest place was 20 minutes away. The winter months really drained the battery. Only cost about $15 to go from 0-100% on fast chargers but it's not worth it. I'd never be able to travel in it outside the area. It's not practical. For a $60K car, it wasn't worth it at all! Best car decision I ever made was getting rid of it. I don't care what kind of electric car it is, I'll never own one ever again. They are not practical in any way except in the city, to and from a short commute to work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder how EV battery changes in the extreme heat like the middle 90's of today?

Certainly not a direct comparison, but I couldn't help but notice my string trimmer battery life was only 2/3 normal run time, in the heat this afternoon?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I wonder how EV battery changes in the extreme heat like the middle 90's of today?

Certainly not a direct comparison, but I couldn't help but notice my string trimmer battery life was only 2/3 normal run time, in the heat this afternoon?

Based on some videos I’ve seen, it runs the cooling system during charging. Not sure how well that handles in the 100s, but if my (regular) car’s AC can keep me cool in the 90s…

If it can’t keep up maintaining the battery temp, it would throttle it back on the charge rate, I believe.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Just don’t run the AC, and you’ll probably be fine. :)

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Seriously on point here. I had a Mustang Mach-E. It was fast! I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't buy it to "save the environment". I bought it because I thought it would save money. My wife loved it but after 4 months of use, I'd had enough. My family lives in grant county. I'd leave my garage in NW Indy with 100% charge. Go 1 hour drive at most trips normal speed. By the time I left grant county I'd get back to Hamilton Towne center and be at 18%. Luckily that was the only charging station between me and home. I'd have to sit there for an hour just to reach about 80% then go home. We're told to keep it plugged in when not in use in the cold months. My wife would forget and the next day I would have to go to the nearest place and charge for an hour. Because we didn't have the fast charger set up yet. The nearest place was 20 minutes away. The winter months really drained the battery. Only cost about $15 to go from 0-100% on fast chargers but it's not worth it. I'd never be able to travel in it outside the area. It's not practical. For a $60K car, it wasn't worth it at all! Best car decision I ever made was getting rid of it. I don't care what kind of electric car it is, I'll never own one ever again. They are not practical in any way except in the city, to and from a short commute to work.
    Was it the extended range model?

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    Was it the extended range model?
    We had the base model. You could definitely see a difference in battery life when it was cold. On top of that, every little item being ran used up battery. Heated seats, radio, etc. Just like using your phone and having apps running in the background. I tested it by not using all the amenities and driving normal and it would consume less energy but I don't miss my Bob and Tom show in the mornings so I wasn't giving that up to drive a little farther :D

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    We had the base model. You could definitely see a difference in battery life when it was cold. On top of that, every little item being ran used up battery. Heated seats, radio, etc. Just like using your phone and having apps running in the background. I tested it by not using all the amenities and driving normal and it would consume less energy but I don't miss my Bob and Tom show in the mornings so I wasn't giving that up to drive a little farther :D
    Not only the cold but it wasn't the greatest driving in snow. It held no traction at all! FWD model of course

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The one we drove in February of 2020 was an AWD extended range. It was super bowl weekend which was a really cold weekend and it estimated 150 miles of range. We were planning a 150 mile round trip... We left it at the dealer and drove my pickup. I wasn't going to get stuck on the side of the road in that cold weather with a demo vehicle. We were pretty disappointed.

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    The one we drove in February of 2020 was an AWD extended range. It was super bowl weekend which was a really cold weekend and it estimated 150 miles of range. We were planning a 150 mile round trip... We left it at the dealer and drove my pickup. I wasn't going to get stuck on the side of the road in that cold weather with a demo vehicle. We were pretty disappointed.
    I don't think they thought the Mustang Mach-E through well. I've heard nothing but complaints. Primarily about the battery life. The Mustang name should have stayed a car. Ford messed up

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I don't think they thought the Mustang Mach-E through well. I've heard nothing but complaints. Primarily about the battery life. The Mustang name should have stayed a car. Ford messed up
    My wife really wants one but we don't want to spend $60k on a vehicle. I do have a 240v outlet in the garage we could use for a fast charger. Her round trip commute is 50 miles so I don't think that would be an issue. I have to have a pickup for towing so we would still have a ice vehicle for long trips.

Don't get me started on the name. I have a 1980 and a 2005 Mustang. This gets back to Ford using the mustang name for marketing and that it is getting harder and more expensive to come up with new vehicle names.

Top Bottom