• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Lets say everything goes electric, and there is plenty of power to support it.
    What happens when all these batteries fail and what will they do with them?
    Can they be reconditioned/refurbished? Or tossed into a landfill?
    The batteries are ground up into what’s called “black mass“ and the components separated; first plastics from metals, then ferrous metals (magnetic) from nonferrous.

This is “the easy“ part. The rest of the components of black mass has not been commercially viable to extract and figured out yet. There is no known cost effective economically viable way to get the lithium back out. It is a dirty/toxic process to do.

Following the mechanical preparation, the black mass is typically subjected to a hydrometallurgical process. This involves using a leaching process, where the black mass is dissolved in a solution, often a strong acid or base. The purpose of this step is to liberate the valuable metals from the black mass, allowing them to be recovered.

Separation and Purification​

After leaching, the solution contains a mixture of metals that must be separated. Techniques such as solvent extraction, ion exchange, or precipitation are used to separate the individual elements based on their chemical properties. Once separated, further purification processes are applied to ensure that the recovered metals meet the required quality standards for reuse.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The batteries are ground up into what’s called “black mass“ and the components separated; first plastics from metals, then ferrous metals (magnetic) from nonferrous.

This is “the easy“ part. The rest of the components of black mass has not been commercially viable to extract and figured out yet. There is no known cost effective way to get the lithium back out. It is a dirty/toxic process to do.
    Just imagine the amount of energy needed to do this .

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have lived that life myself. My first car was a 1960 VW Bug. I had an ice scraper hung from the rearview just to scrap the inside of the windshield and side windows.
    When I took my drivers road test in December the Officer asked if I had a heater in the car.
    I told him it only works when we're moving. He said, once around the block and no stops.
    I passed without ever parallel parking. :thumbsup:
    I had a 1965 VW and also kept a scraper for the inside of the windshield. One time I was working 2nd shift and took a shower before going home. Really cold out probably about 10F that night got about 10 or 12 blocks and freaked out. Thought someone tapped me on the shoulder, it was my hair that had frozen and hitting my shoulder. Jim.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have lived that life myself. My first car was a 1960 VW Bug. I had an ice scraper hung from the rearview just to scrap the inside of the windshield and side windows.
    When I took my drivers road test in December the Officer asked if I had a heater in the car.
    I told him it only works when we're moving. He said, once around the block and no stops.
    I passed without ever parallel parking. :thumbsup:
    My buddy had a '69 Super Beetle with the factory gasoline heater in it, windows were no problem as was heat.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds like 7.5 billion of planning..... less the 10% for the Big Guy

In the mean time Elon’s Tesla has put in over 50K supercharger stations around the WORLD. But Biden won’t invite him to his EV events because he has non-union free speech cootees. Probably didn’t even cost him 7 1/2 billion.

US illustrative map:
    4AD4A122-A1D6-4E3A-93D4-102D0CB635D4.jpeg
    Notice how the dots seem to line up horizontally and vertically? I wonder why…

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sounds like 7.5 billion of planning..... less the 10% for the Big Guy

The official told Politico that the sluggish pace is to be expected, given the goal is to create a 'convenient, affordable, made-in-America equitable network.'

:facepalm:

Top Bottom