• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Just like there is no 100 mpg carburetor (for those old enough to remember hearing that myth) there can never be a truly quick charge battery powered car that will last 200-300K miles like a well maintained gas powered car can and do now. No amount of wishful thinking and taxpayer fleecing can overcome basic physics. They can and will improve the technology to make it as user friendly, affordable, and efficient as can be, just like they once made a Pontiac Grand Prix we used to have average over 30 mpg on the highway. (My wife still talks about how much she loved that car). But if you ever think you’ll be able to charge up an EV in 5 minutes and be able to drive it 300 miles, in winter, carrying a load, and that battery will last 200-300K miles, you’re dreaming.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Got behind a Nissan Leaf this afternoon going down US 20. They were doing 40-45mph in a 55mph zone. Had traffic backed up pretty good. When I finally got the chance to pass, I found that all the windows were fogged up real good. You could see where they tried to wipe places to see, and were fogging over again.
    I figured it was in limp mode trying to conserve battery power.
    Seems really dangerous to be driving around in winter like that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Got behind a Nissan Leaf this afternoon going down US 20. They were doing 40-45mph in a 55mph zone. Had traffic backed up pretty good. When I finally got the chance to pass, I found that all the windows were fogged up real good. You could see where they tried to wipe places to see, and were fogging over again.
    I figured it was in limp mode trying to conserve battery power.
    Seems really dangerous to be driving around in winter like that.

As much as I blame EVs for stuff, I've seen a buttload of ICE vehicles with windows frosted, or snow piled up on.
    So... this is probably more of a driver issue.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    As much as I blame EVs for stuff, I've seen a buttload of ICE vehicles with windows frosted, or snow piled up on.
    So... this is probably more of a driver issue.
    I know someone very well who was given a ticket on his way to high school one blustery day in 1974 for driving with only a 3' square clear spot on his windshield.

In my his defense, the clear spot was growing as the defroster air warmed up above freezing, and I he was An Excellent Driver.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Never had any issues with the 5 EVs I've owned. I also didn't have any issues with the most recent gas car I've owned 16' Civic. I have had issues with older ICE cars I've owned. I wouldn't anticipate any issues with new vehicles regardless of how they are powered. My oldest EV is about to be 6 years old and I haven't had to do anything to it but change the tires...still haven't replaced the 12v battery yet.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I know someone very well who was given a ticket on his way to high school one blustery day in 1974 for driving with only a 3' square clear spot on his windshield.

In my his defense, the clear spot was growing as the defroster air warmed up above freezing, and I he was An Excellent Driver.
    I have lived that life myself. My first car was a 1960 VW Bug. I had an ice scraper hung from the rearview just to scrap the inside of the windshield and side windows.
    When I took my drivers road test in December the Officer asked if I had a heater in the car.
    I told him it only works when we're moving. He said, once around the block and no stops.
    I passed without ever parallel parking. :thumbsup:

Reactions: oze

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Never had any issues with the 5 EVs I've owned. I also didn't have any issues with the most recent gas car I've owned 16' Civic. I have had issues with older ICE cars I've owned. I wouldn't anticipate any issues with new vehicles regardless of how they are powered. My oldest EV is about to be 6 years old and I haven't had to do anything to it but change the tires...still haven't replaced the 12v battery yet.
    Hmmm... which EV runs on 12 volts??

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I believe him. I bought a brand new 2020 GMC Sierra a few years ago. It has been about as close to perfect as you could imagine. Just because a single owner has had as good luck as me and him have had with our respective vehicles doesn't mean the over all statistics are not valid.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I believe him. I bought a brand new 2020 GMC Sierra a few years ago. It has been about as close to perfect as you could imagine. Just because a single owner has had as good luck as me and him have had with our respective vehicles doesn't mean the over all statistics are not valid.
    If he has owned 5 EVs the oldest being 6 years old. I don't believe this shows how reliable they are. Now I question, why 5 EVs in 6 years?

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Lets say everything goes electric, and there is plenty of power to support it.
    What happens when all these batteries fail and what will they do with them?
    Can they be reconditioned/refurbished? Or tossed into a landfill?

Top Bottom