• JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage.​

I can see this as a desired feature. Your EV is parked in your garage as you and your family sleeps in their upstairs bedrooms. Suddenly a pipe burst and water quickly fills the lower level and garage. Fortunately your EV will explode setting off the smoke detectors. At this point you will be awake and can quickly run and shut the water main before any further damage is done. Everybody wins with an EV! :rockwoot:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, I stayed out of this as long as possible.
    We have two vehicles that might be considered electric:

1. 2017 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid (couldn't find an Prius plug-in anywhere). Currently getting 57 mpg combination city/highway driving over 8000 miles. Plugs in to a Class 1 charger overnight and gets 20 miles all electric in summer and 13 in winter. We have a solar setup that feeds into our house grid to provide at least most of the power it takes to charge. Plenty of power, great mileage, lots of room, came with full factory warranty since it was a certified used. No problems so far.

2. 1986 Honda Civic Wagon 4WD 5-speed that I converted to all-electric years ago. Currently under repair due to a burned-out charger. Originally designed for 9 12-volt lead acid batteries (that's how long ago I stared this - 1995), now 34 lithium-ion cells (lighter and more power). Power brakes and steering (vacuum pump system). Used to get 20-25 miles per charge, still holds 5 people and luggage. I am NOT any kind of electrical engineer, but we decided to convert this rather than junk it after the main camshaft sprocket tore loose and messed up the valves. It was burning a quart of oil a week before that. I'm sure if I had more training in electrical stuff I would have made a better go of it. Took out the 4WD shaft to save weight. No gas, oil, coolant or any of those systems. Got us around to school, work and the store fine. Hope to have it on the road again soon?
    Both are electric, one is a hybrid electric. Plug in hybrids are the way to go if you want an EV, at least if you don't want/can't have a second car for longer trips.

For the Civic, how long did it take to charge? That kind of range would work for my wife probably at least 3 out of 4 weeks. She's got about a 1/2 mile or so trip to work, so figure 4-5 miles a day (she comes home for lunch). Maybe a trip or 3 to the grocery store so another 6 miles at the most. Did you hook the motor into the transmission on the Civic or a direct drive?

I'd like to convert a truck to a diesel-electric hybrid, preferable a plug in. Size the generator to run most efficiently at normal estimated speed/weight/etc. If under that it can charge the battery until it's full then transfer back to straight battery. If it's over just lose a little economy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Wasn't sure if I should put this here or the insane social justice. IMO it could have fit either.

Awesome but IMO he should have sized the generator a bit larger. Size it so the generator will run the car at 70-75 or so in it's most fuel efficient rpm band and if going under that it can send the excess to the battery. That's my idea for my truck, but I'll be doing a diesel generator.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Public private partnerships…

(I’ve got to figure out how to get in on this slush fund).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom