• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Some day everyone will have one in their garage.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The blaze was sparked by a “lithium-ion battery connected to a micromobility device,” FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said at a Saturday press conference.

Such devices include e-bikes and scooters.

FDNY officials said they recovered at least five bikes from the apartment where the blaze started and the fire was “right behind the front door.”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Perfectly normal, happens all the time..........

I know regular, ICE type vehicles catch fire too. But there are far, far more of them on the road. Wonder what the comparative rates of fires are?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I know regular, ICE type vehicles catch fire too. But there are far, far more of them on the road. Wonder what the comparative rates of fires are?

Also, as we look more specifically to a single manufacturer such as Tesla, we can see that fires are an unlikely event. Tesla's Vehicle Fire Data provided for the period 2012-2020 reveals that there has been about one vehicle fire for every 205 million miles travelled.

That's over 10-times more miles than the average distance between fires than in the case of the national average of 19 million miles in the U.S., according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and U.S. Department of Transportation.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I love how they compare the undisputed top of the line luxury electric vehicle to all vehicles…
    How about another source with a different study
    A recent report by an online car insurance marketplace, AutoinsuranceEZ, shed some light on the issue, although it’s likely not to be the last word on the topic. Researchers at the company analyzed data from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), and to account for the fact that the numbers of combustion-engine cars and EVs on the roads are vastly different, they factored in the car sales of different vehicle types. The resulting analysis found that per 100,000 cars sold in each category, electric vehicles had the lowest number of fires. Hybrid vehicles had the highest risk ratio for fire, and traditional cars were in the middle.
    I'm not sure why it would be hard to believe that a vehicle with a flammable liquid might be more likely to catch on fire.

Plus Teslas are by far the most common EV on the road, so that is where the stats are going to be.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I love how they compare the undisputed top of the line luxury electric vehicle to all vehicles…
    Tesla is the most prolific EV manufacturer in the US, with market share of over 68% of all EVs as of August 2022. So yes, it makes sense to compare them with all other gas vehicles.

As far as "top of the line luxury electric vehicle," you've obviously never been in a Tesla. The high price has nothing to do with luxury. My 2007 Dodge Charger had better fit and finish, and holy **** that is saying something.

:):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Seems a pretty fair discussion.

One of the things he brings up, what's gonna happen when the gov't is no longer making taxes off gas.
    Well, it's going to go to electricity. And evaporate all the money you thought you were saving.

The "solution" I've seen so far is to tax a car per mile driven. Of course that means they have to actually be able to keep track of how many miles you drive every year.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And just like that, a little more freedom is gone…
    Yep.

giphy.gif

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have come to understand that energy is freedom. Without energy freedom ends. We fight the restrictions they wish to place on guns, as we should, but we should also fight to preserve energy that allows unfettered freedom.

I will assure you, wind, solar, and EV’s are not about freedom…

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

Seems a pretty fair discussion.

One of the things he brings up, what's gonna happen when the gov't is no longer making taxes off gas.
    Well, it's going to go to electricity. And evaporate all the money you thought you were saving.

Facepalm moment; I can't believe that I never thought of this. Indiana is among the states that charges an additional annual fee to register EVs and hybrids ($150 for EV, $50 for hybrids the last I heard). And really, I get it.

Edit: And of course, that tax is going to be paid by everyone, including us schmucks who can't or won't buy an EV and just want to keep our milk from spoiling.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom