• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Old Man Fighting GIF by Laff (GIF Image)

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

There is always more to the story. 10% for the big guy.

Electric buses are sitting unused in cities across the US; here's why​

Cities coast-to-coast grappling with broken-down e-buses that cannot be fixed​

Part of the problem is the manufacturer of the buses, Proterra, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in August. The company, founded in 2004, rose to become the largest e-bus company in the U.S., representing nearly 40% of the market prior to going belly-up.

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm sat on Proterra's board until she joined the Biden administration, and President Biden touted the company while taking a virtual tour of the manufacturer in the spring of 2021. Granholm made $1.6 million selling her stock in the company shortly after that, following criticisms that her holdings in the firm were a conflict of interest.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    What these people are wearing is very important I guess. :lmfao:

Hoja, sitting in a white Model S P85D, wearing a black puffer jacket and blue jeans, said, “I [regularly] wait here for one hour just to get to the charging stall, and then another hour to get at least 80% range.”

Ellie Simpson, another Uber driver and a wedding planner, faced the same issue. Clad in a furry dark brown and white overcoat, she was sitting in a black Model Y Performance. I'm a single mom of three. I'm losing an hour and a half of my earnings a day doing this, just waiting in the line, when that could be more money and more food for my children,”
    Simpson had tried the EV fast-charger stations installed by ride-hail startup Revel that don't have parking fees, but said the charging speeds were sometimes very slow, and that the $40 pre-authorization hold on their card for every charging session was unfathomable for someone who doesn't have room for that kind of cash flow.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    EV’s and the whole ”go green BS” are just that: BS! The unspoken truths about EV’s and their high maintenance costs and “buy in“ should make everyone think twice. My :twocents: having witnessed a family member struggle with an EV that was in a repair shop under warranty longer that the time period he was actually able to drive the thing. He got rid of it. :(!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Apologies if this has already been posted. This thread moves fast at time, kinda like EV's, fast at times. Gist of story, EV's in Florida are replacing tires at a 8-10 thousand miles. There are EV specific tires that claim a ~7% increase in mileage before replacement is needed. THAT would be f'n insane. EV's are known to be hard on tires, but I wonder if the heat in FL accelerates an already fast wear on tires??

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Drives a $60K car and can't afford a $40 hold?

People are really dumb.

I'm not an expert, but isn't driving in NYC kind of a really dumb thing to do if you aren't Scrooge McDucking into your money every night, regardless? I remember stories decades ago about parking costing nearly as much as apartments.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Apologies if this has already been posted. This thread moves fast at time, kinda like EV's, fast at times. Gist of story, EV's in Florida are replacing tires at a 8-10 thousand miles. There are EV specific tires that claim a ~7% increase in mileage before replacement is needed. THAT would be f'n insane. EV's are known to be hard on tires, but I wonder if the heat in FL accelerates an already fast wear on tires??

I read the original story. Jalopnik left out the people saying they have 20k+ on their tires and they are still like new. I don't doubt there are some people needing tires at really low mileage if they are buying the really soft compound tires then hammering the car. Probably some Chinesium baloney skins that are "just as good as..." like you see on bro-dozers. I think we even have a Chinesium tire thread on INGO somewhere.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I'm not an expert, but isn't driving in NYC kind of a really dumb thing to do if you aren't Scrooge McDucking into your money every night, regardless? I remember stories decades ago about parking costing nearly as much as apartments.
    Some of the idiots in the article drive for Uber in $60K cars that they can't charge at home. Same people pay $8 for a coffee at Starbucks. You can't fix stupid.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    EV’s and the whole ”go green BS” are just that: BS! The unspoken truths about EV’s and their high maintenance costs and “buy in“ should make everyone think twice. My :twocents: having witnessed a family member struggle with an EV that was in a repair shop under warranty longer that the time period he was actually able to drive the thing. He got rid of it. :(!
    Oh? What are these high maintenance costs?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I read the original story. Jalopnik left out the people saying they have 20k+ on their tires and they are still like new. I don't doubt there are some people needing tires at really low mileage if they are buying the really soft compound tires then hammering the car. Probably some Chinesium baloney skins that are "just as good as..." like you see on bro-dozers. I think we even have a Chinesium tire thread on INGO somewhere.

I like this part

Of course, some EV owners get far more life out of tires than others and it’s important to note that complaints about tire wear aren’t confined to electrical vehicles. One J.D. Power survey found that fast wear was the top complaint for tire owners, no matter what was powering the vehicle — gasoline, diesel fuel or batteries. The survey found car owners expected about three times the amount of tire mileage they were actually getting.
    Looks like people have no clue about tires. Previously my Summer tires generally lasted about 20K. Winter tires maybe 30K.

We'll see how long these last with the EV. Of course with how little I drive these days, I may not end up needing new tires before I trade it in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I don't doubt there are some people needing tires at really low mileage if they are buying the really soft compound tires then hammering the car. Probably some Chinesium baloney skins that are "just as good as..." like you see on bro-dozers. I think we even have a Chinesium tire thread on INGO somewhere.
    This is a fair point. I was curious why the story focused on Florida EV drivers specifically. Do the same EV car/tire combo last longer in Michigan?? Anyway, cheap tires suck, just ask Nascar from a few years back. But with the range given for EV tires, heck, it could triple and still be lousy.

Previously my Summer tires generally lasted about 20K. Winter tires maybe 30K.
    Your numbers seem incredibly low. Obviously I don't know enough to judge the range outright. I used to own a fleet of trucks, currently own 5 personal autos. I won't even quantify the trailers. I've never encountered 20k mi. wearout on tires. Some of mine have high-end rubber, some have the best balance I thought I could get vis-a-vis cost and rated mileage. Also, I've never swapped wheels between summer/winter, though I think it's a good idea. I just didn't want the cost of extra wheels and storage space.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My summer only Hankooks on the ‘vette lasted about 25k and that’s with lots of “spirited“ driving. They were over $400 cheaper than the equivalent Michelins. I think Hankooks are Korean, not Chinese. They were good enough that the replacements were also Hankooks.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Up north winter tires on a sedan would be super soft and you wouldn’t want to leave them on much past last snow chance. I’ve averaged around 60Kish on Cooper tires on a 4x4 Tundra over the last 24 years. If I only got 20K on a set of tires I’d be looking for somebody’s head. But I could maybe see it on some high performance thing driven spiritedly. I drive like an old man cause, well I’m an old man!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My guess is this shock can be partially attributed to many buyers of EV’s likely have never had such expensive tires. Then with the weight of the EV’s it is not a surprise to many of us that have been around.

Top Bottom