• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Depends on the type of rose. If it's a Knockout rose (low maintenance), they don't even need to be mulched. It's the tea roses that need it. I only trim them back enough to be able to get my cages around them (like chicken wire or rabbit fence) then I stuff pin oak leaves around the base and up at least a foot or two. In the spring I trim back to where they're still showing signs of green.

The Knockouts don't really need any trimming or mulching..
    Well it is a tea rose so I guess I should figure this out.
    So you fill the cage about a foot above the top of the rose bush? ( I would guess it at 30" tall)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well it is a tea rose so I guess I should figure this out.
    So you fill the cage about a foot above the top of the rose bush? ( I would guess it at 30" tall)
    No, just a foot or two above the base. Tea roses are grown by grafting the "fancy" rose to a wild rose root. So basically you want to make sure you are protecting the area where the graft is. If it freezes back to the graft, then you will have a wild rose and it will no longer be a tea rose..

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    No, just a foot or two above the base. Tea roses are grown by grafting the "fancy" rose to a wild rose root. So basically you want to make sure you are protecting the area where the graft is. If it freezes back to the graft, then you will have a wild rose and it will no longer be a tea rose..
    Ahh that makes sense. I didn't know they were grafted.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Boys have been buttheads today. At one point Susan called me in from the family room and said, "I need help!" They were refusing to mind her and pick up all the crap they had all over the living room. I turned the tv off and invoked the "angry grandpa voice" again and they cleaned it up lickety-split. They both started getting pouty and looked like they wanted to cry and I just said (loudly), "No crying! Just do it!" Crying miraculously stopped. They know papaw don't play that... :rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom